Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

On this Chinese prog-rock album

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stigfzm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: On this Chinese prog-rock album
    Posted: May 24 2024 at 00:33
    Hello. As a newbie on prog-rock for 3 years, I start to go away from KC, Genesis, Yes, and such likes of classical progs and watch the broader picture around the world. Being Chinese, I'm a little bit curious on our Chinese prog musicianships. So, I went on the Internet and I found this.

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV19Z4y1D7R4/?spm_id_from=333.337.search-card.all.click

This song is called Skyscraper in the Rain, written by a young Chinese guy called "古田小伙", or Gu Tian. It is included in his album released in 2021 called Fallacy & Bias. It seems like a concept album where songs are connected to each other. I can sense Jazz and pop inspiration there. It reminds me of Caravan to be honest. Personally, it is no match for modern new progs like Wobbler, because it is recorded in less satisfactory environment. But, this album is made entirely by one person, 23-year-old, all composed by his own. Just like Mike Oldfield. I don't mean he's as talented as Mike Oldfield, but definitely for a Chinese guy, the fact that he could produce such a good song, a good album, is already astonishing from my personal view. 
Here is a link to listen to the album. 

https://music.163.com/#/album?id=122646537

It is also available in Spotify. However, all songs' names are in Chinese. 
https://open.spotify.com/album/0Dzo5vhXCIsDRHjCMENbJL

Well, I don't see myself as a professional critic on prog-music as I just stepped into the Court of the Prog-rock. So, I'd like to see your valuable comments where I can lear, which will, I believe, help to improve my ability to appreciate prog music. Thank you all.

Update:
Ok, I find his channel on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SOF885eob0

Here's a youtube link to his album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l55EtdO5Cso&list=OLAK5uy_nrNk056NcObaAuHysCppfZ28XVIFmwsfk

Btw, how can I post a direct video here so that you don't have to switch to Youtube?

Edited by Stigfzm - May 31 2024 at 04:27
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2024 at 05:43
Thank you for posting the link. I'm always curious about new artists, so I will certainly check it out. By the way, welcome to the forum.
Stigfzm View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stigfzm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2024 at 02:14
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Thank you for posting the link. I'm always curious about new artists, so I will certainly check it out. By the way, welcome to the forum.

Thanks, sir. This new artist is really talented. Many fans call him Chinese Oldfield. He has released a new album of late. Sadly, it is only available in this link 

https://music.163.com/#/album?id=197078790

which is within Chinese wall. I don't know whether you need a VPN or not to get access to it.

Also sadly, most of his lyrics are in Chinese. If you are able to listen to that music and want English translations, I can offer.

I guarantee you will like it, especially if you are a fan of Camel and Canterbury Scenes. Trust me.

Edited by Stigfzm - May 31 2024 at 02:18
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2024 at 03:38
^ That's quite nice a listen (listening to it now, being at track 7...). Jazzy, with some classical, some rock and some latin influences. It doesn't really make me think of Mike Oldfield (apart from the second part of Fallacy and Bias, maybe) and I'm not sure if it is Prog, but that is not very important. Fun to have those two parts of Confuse & Mislead - the first part a bit odd, but the rocky second part is echoing it in an interesting way.

Thanks for leading us to this, and welcome to the forums!

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2024 at 03:43
[removed to save space]

Edited by Hrychu - May 31 2024 at 05:07
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Stigfzm View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stigfzm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2024 at 03:52
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

^ That's quite nice a listen (listening to it now, being at track 7...). Jazzy, with some classical, some rock and some latin influences. It doesn't really make me think of Mike Oldfield (apart from the second part of Fallacy and Bias, maybe) and I'm not sure if it is Prog, but that is not very important. Fun to have those two parts of Confuse & Mislead - the first part a bit odd, but the rocky second part is echoing it in an interesting way.

Thanks for leading us to this, and welcome to the forums!

Sorry for my misleading. I didn't make it quite clear. The reason he is called Chinese Oldfield is for such groundbreaking album, all by himself, in Chinese music landscape where most albums suck and where prog is not paid attention to.  His talent is widely regarded and remind people of Oldfield who also made album all by himself. Of course, he is no match for Mike Oldfield. So, that call is a bit exaggeration.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2024 at 03:57
^ Ah, so it's more the method than the style; I understand.
Finished listening, in the mean time: a pleasant album to listen to! Fallacy and Bias and On the Train are maybe the most proggy tracks (and I don't doubt PA members will enjoy them), but the album as a whole is a good listen. Thanks again.

Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2024 at 04:22
[removed to save space]

Edited by Hrychu - May 31 2024 at 05:03
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Stigfzm View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stigfzm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2024 at 04:31
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

^ Ah, so it's more the method than the style; I understand.
Finished listening, in the mean time: a pleasant album to listen to! Fallacy and Bias and On the Train are maybe the most proggy tracks (and I don't doubt PA members will enjoy them), but the album as a whole is a good listen. Thanks again.

Glad you give positive views. I should thank you also. Btw, do you know how to post direct videos of youtube as I have seen posts that have videos from youtube and you can watch them without switching to youtube page?
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2024 at 04:36
Hrychu, do you also have something constructive and on-topic to contribute? If not, you'd better stop polluting threads.

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2024 at 04:59
Originally posted by Stigfzm Stigfzm wrote:

Btw, do you know how to post direct videos of youtube as I have seen posts that have videos from youtube and you can watch them without switching to youtube page?

Yes, lets take an example: Mike Oldfield's Five Miles Out, which can be found at this link: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hRkyIszav8

If you want to make it an active (clickable) link you add the "url tags" before and after the link (without the spaces within and between the square brackets to make it work):

[url ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hRkyIszav8[/url ]

You can also hide the link behind some words to make it look like this some words or other words
In order to get that you use [ url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hRkyIszav8] some words[/url ]
(always without the spaces to make it work)

If you want to embed the video you use the "tube tags [tube ] and [/ tube] (without the spaces) and put the string of characters following the watch?v= part of the link in between those "tube" tags, in this case: 9hRkyIszav8
So that would be like this [tube ]9hRkyIszav8[/tube ] and without the spaces it would give this:

If the video is part of a playlist - or if the string of characters is otherwise much longer than about 10/11 characters, you only use the first part of the string until the first ampersand (the & symbol)

I always type those tags manually. The forum interface proposes these options with buttons when you click on "post reply" (e.g. insert link button, insert image button, insert video button...), but this interface is not without flaws and produces errors.
(if you quote my message, you can see all this properly, without the spaces that are needed here to illustrate)

Edited by suitkees - May 31 2024 at 05:10

Post Reply Post Reply