Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 216>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2008 at 10:43
When watching the first two Resident Evil movies I got the feeling that the people who made it don't really know what makes a good horror movie, and as action movies they're not that great either. I'd be far more forgiving of the first one borrowing its plot from Aliens if it didn't pull so many punches. The third one I actually saw in the theatre, and while the script still felt like total fanfic it actually had some genuinely scary/tense moments. Having the guy who made Highlander direct helped. A lot.
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Petrovsk Mizinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2008 at 23:42
Originally posted by Passionist Passionist wrote:

Hard to Kill, Steven Seagal... I saw this last night. A hard boiled martial arts cop gets in the middle of corrupted politics. 2/10 stars, the movie was awful, but yet funny. One of those "get a bad movie and loads of beer" -flicks.

That movie kicks arse if you approach it from the correct perspectiveLOL
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2008 at 03:35
House of Sand and Fog - movie about a woman (Jennifer Connelly) who looses her house due to a faulty tax claim by the dumb ass government, and an Iranian family who's father (Ben Kingsley), find the house at a cheap price for auction and seizes upon the opportunity unknowing about the woman who lost the property unfairly, it becomes an interesting moral dilemma where no one has done anything illegal and you can sympathize with both parties at hand, its a tense movie all the way through but I have mixed feelings on how it ends, can't really go into much more detail without spoiling the plot, Kingsley as usual plays his role superbly--I think Im being very generous by giving this movie a - 7/10

Duo luo tian shi (Fallen Angels) - a Hong Kong made movie that involves 2 completely different plot lines, one about an assassin and his female partner whom he rarely shares the same scenes with, the other about mute and his father, quirky at times serious at others but Im not quite sure what it all means, I'll have to think about it a bit more, I enjoyed the low budget film quality and the constant use of narrow angled camera shots...the whole experience seemed rather claustrophobic and suffocating (which was an interesting compliment) - 6/10

Dear Wendy - this movie was written by my man Lars von Trier and directed by some cat named Thomas Vinterberg, basically about a guy who gathers together group of young misfits and forms a gang of gun toting pacifists! a great paradox for a film that gun nuts and anti-gun nuts alike would greatly appreciate, within their little gang they learn about guns, how to shoot, exit wounds, matching the perps to their firearm of choice, etc...all the while having codes they live by, rituals, attire, special dialog, and other little details that go along with their secret society, this has all the makings for a cult movie for me and I could definitely see this over and over again! yet another great film to further strengthen my love affair with Lars von Trier - 8.5/10 (maybe 9/10)
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroSpence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2008 at 22:37

Hard to Kill, Steven Seagal... I saw this last night. A hard boiled martial arts cop gets in the middle of corrupted politics. 2/10 stars, the movie was awful, but yet funny. One of those "get a bad movie and loads of beer" -flicks.

The best part was the evil Rastafarian's.

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonebeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2008 at 02:23
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

I don't even know what to say. My mind has been blown for the third time by this director.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2008 at 05:58
Originally posted by BroSpence BroSpence wrote:

You're getting it confused with Marked For Death.Wink
Christine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2008 at 10:07
What about the simple polytheistic,atheistic,agnostic, nihilistic, and absurdist explanations? Does it offer more than those simple explanations?

Originally posted by mithrandir mithrandir wrote:

Originally posted by Pnoom! Pnoom! wrote:

Originally posted by avalanchemaster avalanchemaster wrote:

okay let me try to recapture what I originally said:The Golden Compass- 8/10- I really enjoyed this one, even though it is clearly geared towards children....I just bought the trilogy of books that the movie is based on (the Dark Materials), and cannot wait to dive into them now that the summer is here and school is over for me.I think it is hilarious that the religious right was up in arms about this film, trying to boycott it because they think it is anti-god.....haha, yeah right!

I didn't see the movie because it got crap reviews, but I can tell you that the book itself is pretty clearly atheist at heart, not that children would be able to pick up on that.

I'd hope children who would read this would get the impression that there's more to the universe and creation than a simple monotheistic explination, Wink

the movie wasn't horrible, the setting, Daemons, specFX, and actors were pretty well done, but they completely messed up the flow of the film, and totally left out the true ending, a shame....its funny cause people at first were blaming the director(Chris Weitz), but he stated it wasn't his fault...he intended the timeline to follow the book and to include the proper ending,  it was the execs that came in and edited it to hell, they also had a few unreleased scenes up on a site I saw where they indeed had much of the proper ending filmed....my GF and I think they shouldn't have even attempted to do a film adaptation of His Dark Materials to begin with, Not even sure how they would make a commercially sucsessful movie the the 2nd part "The Subtle Knife" since there really isn't that much action or dazzling moments that could be filmed and would drive audiences to the theaters...unless they forced a bunch of crap that just isn't there....lame,
catsfootironclaw
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E-Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2008 at 10:11
Iron Man...and it was awesome!

E
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2008 at 11:00
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

I don't even know what to say. My mind has been blown for the third time by this director.

I will be watching Oldboy later this week. Judging from the heaps of praise it has received, it should be one hell of an experience. I'll probably rent that one as well eventually. It pays to have a good library system! Geek
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2008 at 14:37
Just be warned - Oldboy is pretty much the definition of a cinematic Rorschach test except that the blots are blood rather than ink.
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BroSpence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2008 at 02:30
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Originally posted by BroSpence BroSpence wrote:

You're getting it confused with Marked For Death.Wink

Oh damn, thats right.  Its been a while since I watched all those Seagal movies.  I enjoy his portrayal of a different ethnicity in each movie.  Its too bad no studios want to make any big budget films with him anymore.  There haven't been any good big budget crapfests with him or Chuck Norris for too long. 

Undead or Alive: a brilliant zombie-western starring everyone's favorite ex-SNL cast member CHRIS KATTAN! And Brian Posehn as a zombie.  What could be better than a western-zombie genre mashup? NOTHING.  This was a great movie.  8/10.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2008 at 04:01
Speaking of Seagal, I remember seeing On Deadly Ground on TV late one evening and being utterly dumbfounded at how a major studio would blow so many money on something this preposterous. Also, if you haven't you should read this. LOL
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 07:28
30 Days Of Night - rented this thinking it could be a fun lowest common denominator horror/vampire flick, but was very surprised & extremely impressed. Well filmed, very well acted (yes - even Josh Hartnett ), excellent vampire characters (who managed to be scary, disturbing, yet strangely believeable) & some great set-pieces, including one with a small girl which I'm genuinely surprised got past the censors... ; my only criticism is the time-frame jumping - you wonder how the main characters actually lasted 30 days...

Overall? A solid 8.5/10 from this reviewer.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 08:31
I watched Ghost Rider, with Nick Cage & Peter Fonda on the TV (ie, it was FREE) last night.

Based on a Marvel comic, it was a bit of harmless horror fun -- plus it had motorcycles.

2.5 stars, give or take...
Shocked Shudder! Ha! LOL
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 13:10
I recently watched the Rocky saga..... from 1 to 5, today I'll watch number 6.

Rocky StarStarStarStarStar (fantastic underdog story... perfectly told...)
Rocky 2 StarStarStar1/2 (not in the same league but still decent)
Rocky 3 StarStar1/2 (a mess.. but fun at that)
Rocky IV StarStar1/2 (the same)
Rocky V Star (a mess.... and not fun at that)

Rocky Balboa (to be seen)
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Queen By-Tor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 14:40
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Just be warned - Oldboy is pretty much the definition of a cinematic Rorschach test except that the blots are blood rather than ink.

LOL

Oldboy is amazing. When I first saw it - mind = blown. I've heard of evil villains before... but that dude was evil
to the MAX.

I just finished a classic. Chinatown. I'm left completely speechless and kind of depressed after watching
it. Such amazing cinematography... people these days need to learn a thing or two from the old masters. But
hey, that's just me... I love stuff like 2001: A Space Odyssey. Back to Chinatown... that movie had me
guessing right up to the end... and then the ending... ho-ly sh*t!!!

Oh Polanski... you made such great films.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 14:56
Originally posted by King By-Tor King By-Tor wrote:

I just finished a classic. Chinatown. I'm left completely speechless and kind of depressed after watching
it. Such amazing cinematography... people these days need to learn a thing or two from the old masters. But
hey, that's just me... I love stuff like 2001: A Space Odyssey. Back to Chinatown... that movie had me
guessing right up to the end... and then the ending... ho-ly sh*t!!!

Oh Polanski... you made such great films.

indeed, Polanski is the master of paranoia in film! Knife In the Water, Repulsion, Rosemary's Baby, The Tenant, also brilliant,

2001, is a fav of mine too, book and movie!  Wink
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Queen By-Tor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 15:04
I'm going to have to watch and rewatch a bunch of his films. Kubrick as well. I think maybe The Shining or
Clockwork Orange tonight.

Need to get a little of the ultraviolence going LOL
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 17:30
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

I will be watching Oldboy later this week. Judging from the heaps of praise it has received, it should be one hell of an experience. I'll probably rent that one as well eventually. It pays to have a good library system! Geek

That whole trilogy is amazing, Lady Vengance being my favourite of the three.

I'm going to give Miike Takashi's Visitor Q another try later, I've seen about half of it and other than the fact that its very uncomfortable watching, I'm not quite sure what to make of it.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 20:41
Visitor Q is kookie! the only thing that made me uncomfortable about that movie was the whole lactating thing....grosso! Pinch
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 216>