Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

list/discuss/rate - your recently watched movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 212213214215216>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2024 at 00:21
^ I started watching Tenet not long ago but gave up halfway through. 

2024 started with: 

Anthropophagus aka The Grim Reaper - notorious "video nasty" that partly lives up to its reputation.
Black Samurai - super fun action schlock.
Dune - I was surprised with how great this was. I'm eagerly looking forward to part two.
Scream - 2022 version, another surprisingly good film, though it got a bit too "meta" and smart for my taste in the end. 
Maniac - sleazy slasher classic. 
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2024 at 19:15
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Godzilla Minus One

Though it has a slow start and conducts itself much like a Japanese after-War drama, this prequel to Ishirō Honda's 1954 masterwork is the best rendition of the franchise since the Heisei series of the 1990s.   Dealing with the realities of postbellum Japan, the discovery of a constantly growing sea organism forces citizens & ex-sailors to handle the deadly beast themselves without help from a war-weary U.S.   Top shelf sci-fi drama without the sentimental nonsense present in so much kaiju cinema.   Surprisingly satisfying, and recommended.

I saw this last night and thought it was excellent. Solid human elements in regards to the turmoil of the lead character. Not really a prequel but a restart to the franchise. It certainly draws inspiration from the original. I recommend this as well.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2024 at 19:39
^ Yes it's more of a reboot.   I went to see it on a whim and was surprised how much I enjoyed it.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2024 at 21:35
Loving Highsmith

Unusual and quiet documentary on Patricia Highsmith who penned extraordinary crime stories & psychological thrillers including Strangers on a Train, the Tom Ripley series of novels, and Carol (the Price of Salt), an influential early piece of lesbian literature. Over twenty books to her credit and several film adaptions, Highsmith wrote in German, French, Spanish, and chronicled much of her life in diary form giving us insight into her creative process.   The film may be too intimate for some and is a bit long at an hour & 1/2 but Patty Highsmith deserves every bit of praise she gets.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2024 at 00:34
Killers Of The Flower Moon 2023

Latest Scorsese epic clocking in at 3hrs 25 minutes!. This is based on actual characters and is a period peice set in the 1920's and 30's about the Osage tribe and their good fortune in finding oil on their land. They rapidly become some of the richest people on the planet but their apparent naivety makes them prey for unscupulous characters such as De Niro's who may fancy a slice of the cake themselves. Di Caprio plays his nephew as if he's a dumb version of Marlon Brando's Vito Corleone (becomes very distracting after while). De Niro is solid as always but could have easily phoned in his performance. It's a great peice of epic film making, never boring at all despite the lengthy running time, just a shame about the slightly off key acting of Di Caprio and Lily Gladstone which never sparks into life. 7/10

Edited by richardh - January 16 2024 at 00:38
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2024 at 00:41
Hi,

Padmaavat
India 2018

Long film, and a bit of history of India ... it was nicely done, and nice to watch ... looked like it also had a huge budget. It was "grand" in the style of Kurosawa and Lean.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2024 at 14:34
Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom - Some of the comedy was quite good and the effects were decent too. But that's where the good ends. It has the story and script written by a 5 year old, wooden acting and really the whole thing is quite forgettable. I always think I'll enjoy these type of movies, but it's all be done before and I come away completely unfulfilled. Ho hum - 4/10
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2024 at 16:09
^I've been soooo disappointed with so much of the DC output I had no expectations for this one at all.
Still, I had planned on watching it tonight. LOL
Ok...I'm a sucker for punishment. I admit it.
One and done.

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2024 at 19:53
Inception - 2010 - Directed by Christopher Nolan - 10/10

I mean, the film is simply brilliant. There are too many highlights to name, but there is of course the spinning hallway scene, which was done entirely with Practical effects. I highly recommend it! It's a psychological thriller, my favorite type of film
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2024 at 21:25
Nolan is likely my favourite film maker of the 21st Century although Denis Villeneuve is only just behind him.
Dunkirk is one of my favourite war films and there is the brain busting wizardy of Memento not to mention the excellent nordic noir remake Insomnia. He also produced the Zac Snyder film Man Of Steel and it's better for it. 
Tenet lost me a bit but looking forward to Oppenheimer when the price comes down a bit!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2024 at 21:33
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom - Some of the comedy was quite good and the effects were decent too. But that's where the good ends. It has the story and script written by a 5 year old, wooden acting and really the whole thing is quite forgettable. I always think I'll enjoy these type of movies, but it's all be done before and I come away completely unfulfilled. Ho hum - 4/10

that's a real shame. Jason Mamoa's career is in danger of coming off the rails. So good in GOT and See as well as the first Aquaman film which I enjoyed.
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2024 at 21:35
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Nolan is likely my favourite film maker of the 21st Century although Denis Villeneuve is only just behind him.
Dunkirk is one of my favourite war films and there is the brain busting wizardy of Memento not to mention the excellent nordic noir remake Insomnia. He also produced the Zac Snyder film Man Of Steel and it's better for it. 
Tenet lost me a bit but looking forward to Oppenheimer when the price comes down a bit!

They're all excellent. Though my favorite might still be The Dark Knight, looking forward to oppenheimer as well
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2024 at 23:30
Terror On The Prairie 2022

Way better than I expected, this is a proper hard core violent Western. Loved the authentic feel. 8/10
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2024 at 14:46
Wonka - I could have done without all the songs, but generally this is an enjoyable romp. Timothée Chalamet was born for the part, but what really lifts the movie are the great bunch of English actors in it - I even spotted 3 from Ghosts. I laughed quite a bit early on too. 8/10
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Moonshake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonshake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2024 at 22:28
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
Classic.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2024 at 22:45
^ only the second film to win all 5 of the major Academy awards (at the time but later repeated by Silence Of The Lambs)

Edited by richardh - January 25 2024 at 22:47
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2024 at 20:39
I finally got around to seeing "Oppenheimer" and I found it a huge disappointment.

The whole thing seemed a little unfocused to me and hopped all over the place for no apparent reason, sometimes in colour and some times in black and white.

The whole story was covered with much more clarity in the documentary included with the special features on the DVD/ Bluray.

5/10

I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2024 at 21:20
^ Sensationalized, too long, almost no physics.
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2024 at 21:34
...and to think this movie has been nominated in 13 Academy awards categories.

After getting is so right with "Everything, Everywhere, All At Once" last year, my fear is that this movie will win a bunch of awards just to show how cerebral the Academy is.

Even now as I think about it, I might have been slightly generous in my rating.

I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2024 at 22:44
Also suprised that Killers Of The Flower Moon has a similar number of nominations however there are so many awards categories nowadays for all kinds of things like Best person that strayed onto the set drunk (ok I made that one up!)

BTW I only watched the first 20-30 minutes of Everything, Everywhere, All At Once. Far too annoying and jumping around for my liking. Credit to Michelle Yeoh though for being the first Malaysian woman to win an oscar.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 212213214215216>