Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How do I disable an adblocker for youtube only?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do I disable an adblocker for youtube only?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I disable an adblocker for youtube only?
    Posted: October 17 2023 at 11:06
This has nothing to do with progarchives or even music directly but it says ask a question on any subject so here I go. About a week ago (if that) I started getting a message on youtube saying something to the effect that I couldn't watch videos because I had an adblocker. For whatever reason I couldn't figure it out. Finally I was able to disable the adblocker in general but not just for youtube. So now I can watch youtube but have no adblocker on my computer so I'm getting all kinds of weird sometimes spamlike and sometimes virus like messages that I wasn't getting before. Does anyone know how I can put the adblocker back up but have it disabled for youtube only? Thanks.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2023 at 15:51
Depends on which adblocker you are using. I'm using this one:

With that one it's just a matter of clicking "pause on this website" to enable ads for the visited website only.

Dark Ness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Ness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2023 at 05:54
Maybe you wish to try NoScript extension on Firefox (together with WebAdvisor and VirusTotal are the basic protection I start with) which let's you choose what and when to block on a permanent or case by case option.
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2023 at 06:50
^Completely unrelated to this topic, but would your name and location be a reference to Bruce Springsteen's greatest album 'Darkness on the Edge of Town'?
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2023 at 08:11
Well, now I have no adblocker at all so I'd have to start from scratch. I don't remember the name of the one I had. How can I put one back up but for youtube only?
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2023 at 09:49
^ Have a look in your browser extensions/add ons see if something rings a bell and check if it has been disabled.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2023 at 11:08

why would you do something that dumb?? Confused

Whenever I yout from work, it's totally painful experience Dead(especially in the NL)Ouch, bevause we are forbidden to add & use adblocks from work computers

BTW, I refuse allcookies as well (not just Yout's), and never had  single problem

However from a dumbphone, I've given up.

Edited by Sean Trane - October 18 2023 at 11:11
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2023 at 13:41
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Whenever I yout from work, it's totally painful experience Dead(especially in the NL)Ouch, bevause we are forbidden to add & use adblocks from work computers

BTW, I refuse allcookies as well (not just Yout's), and never had  single problem

So I can watch youtube videos without having all the dumb ads pop up. It won't let me watch anything if I have an adblocker up. It's ok though. I think I found a way around it. 
Dark Ness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Ness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2023 at 04:50
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

^Completely unrelated to this topic, but would your name and location be a reference to Bruce Springsteen's greatest album 'Darkness on the Edge of Town'?

Of course Hug

(up there at the top with Nebraska)

Edited by Dark Ness - October 19 2023 at 04:52
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2023 at 05:30
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

So I can watch youtube videos without having all the dumb ads pop up. It won't let me watch anything if I have an adblocker up. It's ok though. I think I found a way around it. 

Never had a pop-up window because of my ad-block at home and they get blocked by my professional server at work.

And if something's requires cookies and adblock retrieval, I simply don't use the site (fùck'em)
I don't bowto blackmail stuff like that. 

Edited by Sean Trane - October 19 2023 at 05:31
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2023 at 10:31
Cry And so I too got hit by YouTube's new anti-adblock superpowers. I used to be a YouTube addict but that's about to change. I'm probably gonna use the website less fequently. :P I don't want to throw hours of my life wasted on sitting through ads into trash! xD Welp, it's a private company. They can do whatever they desire.
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2023 at 11:31
Try a different ad-blocker or just download the file (which is best anyway, in case it goes on private, or taken down)
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2023 at 11:36
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Try a different ad-blocker or just download the file (which is best anyway, in case it goes on private, or taken down)

Haha. You almost read my mind! I've actually downloaded the videos I would come back to regularly in the past. B)
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2023 at 11:50
It's annoying. Up to now I have just clicked the message window that says adblockers are not allowed away and then I can go on watching without ads, except that the message window pops up again occasionally. Tongue It's strange that this works (and still somewhat more annoying than it was before), but it does the job for now. (I'm using AdBlockPlus.)
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2024 at 15:24
Try going into your browsers add-ons manager and doing a search for 'adblocker for Youtube'.

uBlock Origin is also very effective when it comes to YT.
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
 Post Reply Post Reply