Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How can I keep track of more "New Releases"?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theBox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How can I keep track of more "New Releases"?
    Posted: February 28 2024 at 01:39
Hello Everyone,
Long time no see. I haven't been active in this forum for many years now (more than 10 years actually), but my appetite for all things prog have resurfaced lately so here we are.

My question is this: I have noticed that if I want see the new entries/releases of say, albums released in 2024, I cant. The site's home page only shows the latest 5 or so. Is there a way around this? I dont think the "top albums/search function" helps either because I want to be able to see ALL the entries in the database, even those that have no reviews or ratings.

So what am I missing? Is there a way to do this?

Same goes for any year really. Let's say that I wanted to see ALL albums that were released/added to this site in 2021, for example.

Edited by theBox - February 28 2024 at 01:44
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2024 at 01:48
I guess  "the top prog albums (all time)" - https://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?salbumtypes=1

Select the subgenre, a number of ratings, don't leave it on "0" or it will be a rather short list. 
Try to listen on your own, after all we might not agree with ratings and reviews. Smile
theBox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theBox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2024 at 02:15
Yeah I've tried that obviously and sadly it doesn't work as expected. I tested it just now with "2024" and 0 in all fields and max results = 250 (which itself is a little limiting to begin with) and the search came up with 13 albums.

There are surely NOT just 13 albums released/added here in 2024. 

It should be a very simple matter of retrieving "all albums released in X year". So what am I missing?

Edited by theBox - February 28 2024 at 02:16
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2024 at 02:58
http://newprogreleases.blogspot.com/
This blog, as far as I'm concerned, takes new releases directly from progarchives.
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2024 at 03:13
Originally posted by theBox theBox wrote:

Yeah I've tried that obviously and sadly it doesn't work as expected. I tested it just now with "2024" and 0 in all fields and max results = 250 (which itself is a little limiting to begin with) and the search came up with 13 albums.

It should be a very simple matter of retrieving "all albums released in X year". So what am I missing?
I've just said not to leave 0 ratings or the list will be short. 
Even writing 1 in the minimum number of ratings makes the list longer.

Edited by Cristi - February 28 2024 at 03:14
theBox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theBox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2024 at 05:36
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I appreciate it but it's not what I'm looking for. This method limits the results to albums that have at least one rating while there are many albums that have no ratings at all and will be invisible to the query.

I don't think that it's THAT hard to find a way to browse ALL releases by year. Or at the very least to get to show the "new releases" going back to the beginning and not just the 5 most recent.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2024 at 06:25

I appreciate it but it's not what I'm looking for. This method limits the results to albums that have at least one rating while there are many albums that have no ratings at all and will be invisible to the query.

I don't think that it's THAT hard to find a way to browse ALL releases by year. Or at the very least to get to show the "new releases" going back to the beginning and not just the 5 most recent.

So 46 new releases is not good enough so far, end of February?! 
I will probably manage to explore 46 releases by the half of the year, if I stick to it, but then again, newest releases are rarely a priority for me. 

I made a list on another site of my 2023 favorites, I only got to 80 albums, any genre that is. And it always comes around this number for me by the years end. 

Edited by Cristi - February 28 2024 at 08:21
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2024 at 07:00
Take a look at my calendar page: https://awesomeprog.com/calendar

It contains all new releases from PA and MOST from RYM, plus a number of other sources, and you can also filter it down to just the PA releases if the others are too scary.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2024 at 08:09

So 48 new releases is not good enough so far, end of February?! 
I will probably manage to explore 48 releases by the half of the year, if I stick to it, but then again, newest releases are rarely a priority for me. 

Funny coincidence - I've listened to about 48 releases of 2024. Here's all of them sorted into (preliminary) tiers:

theBox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theBox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2024 at 13:11
wow that's great! Thanx!
 Post Reply Post Reply