6 [37.50%]
9 [56.25%]
1 [6.25%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Breakfast Club or The Truman Show
    Posted: November 26 2023 at 13:28
These two movies ranks among my top favorite movies. Widely different and in arious type of move. One is one of the great comming of age 80s high school classic, with a claustrophobic element, character study, some comedy, drama and good character story, the other is also in a type of mivie that started to come in the late 90s, were sort of the happyness filled early 90s was to become desillisioned and filmslike the Truman Show and the Matrix showed us a cloaked /hidden reality, a fake reality. The Truman Show, like the Breakfast Club have a claustrophobic nature, but also is a an art piece made into a movie set.

Both movies takes the surroundings and make all out of a limited space, litle traveling, usualy a fixed loccation, though even more limited in the Breakfast Club, which for the most part is in a library, a school hall and a cottage. The Truman Show is in a little larger space, but is also limited by an enclosed area, and hes constantly made sure to never notice that, he is growned and been nurtured into a conformative life inside an enormous domd.

Which movie do you favour
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2023 at 13:36
I also love the opening with the Simple Minds "Don't You (Forgett About Me)" it sends chils down my spine. So perfect song, naked and atmospheric. While Mozart is the star in the Truman Show.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2023 at 13:36
Truman Show
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2023 at 14:24
Definitely The Breakfast Club for me.  Although, I must admit I enjoyed the censored version that they showed on regular TV more than the original version.  It was quite hilarious how they changed the swearing to clean words.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2023 at 14:55
Truman Show. I keep bringing my pump kick furball to the broccoli insurance festival. Whoops.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2023 at 15:27
Truman Show was disappointing, Breakfast Club was classic '80s youthploitation.

BC.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2023 at 17:03
The Breakfast Club is a great film. John Hughes equal best film with Planes,Trains and Automobiles IMO. 

I've never watched The Truman Show. Jim Carrey is not my cup of tea, Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind is the only film he's been in that I care for.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2023 at 23:58
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I've never watched The Truman Show. Jim Carrey is not my cup of tea, Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind is the only film he's been in that I care for.

Truman Show is one of Carrey's best movies, you should give it a chance. 
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2023 at 11:22
I believe John Hughes is good with the thing called inner character development, from a 'buildungs roman' perspective, words and meanings and approach to oppertunities have stakes. Both in The Breakfast Club and in Ferries Builers Day Off, the inner psyche is important., but is is also layerd with clever humour

Edited by Icarium - November 27 2023 at 11:23
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2023 at 11:37
Truman Show. Smile

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2023 at 13:00
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I second Cristi's advice: I 'm not a fan of Carrey's antics either, but Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind and The Truman Show are the exceptions (because he leaves out those antics). The Truman Show gets my vote here.

Edited by suitkees - November 27 2023 at 13:02

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2023 at 13:02
Definitely The Truman Show.

The Breakfast Club, while it does have some good scenes and performances, is a little too petulant for me to consider it a classic.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2023 at 14:08
^ Doesn't matter, it's a classic.   In fact it was the quintessential '80s youth film.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2023 at 13:57
I like Ally Sheedy quirky acting in breakfest

Edited by Icarium - November 30 2023 at 13:58
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2023 at 14:24
Though Das Boot is a more regarded film and more respected, and way more claustrophobic, i put that, I got the same fealing of watchinh, like they touch one some similar yet vague aspects of claustrophobia, one location. Like your testing the actors stamina for long takes without pauses, were it is lots of psychology involved in the filming and were improvisation is utelized perhaps
 Post Reply Post Reply