Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help identify a neo-prog album!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Distant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help identify a neo-prog album!
    Posted: May 17 2024 at 09:55
Hello, I made an account because the other day I vaguely remembered an album that I really liked, it was at a place and time in my life, but I cant remember the damn name, I just have snatches of memory. I am hoping that maybe yall can get me on target.

It was released after 2010. I recall it being a one-off project and probably a solo project. 

Concept Album.  Basic plot is something like an astronaut/scientist is lost in part of an interdimensional experiment and he is trying to get back home.  There's a song about getting back. He wants to see his wife again and uses her as an anchor (sorta like Interstellar and the guys daughter).  The words "consciousness, cosmic, salvation" pop into my head.  There's a song near the end with haunting female vocals that has a very different feel, like inspired a bit by something like reggae but it isnt reggae, just has that cadence.  After that song it's an atmospheric track representing the guy on his journey home through the multiverse or something.

Long shot, but I have pulled out old harddrives, racked my brain...help me Progarchives forums, you're my only hope.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 10:04
Distant View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Distant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 10:08
Nope but that definitely fits the theme description.  I'm pretty sure it's a one-off project.

Edited by Distant - May 17 2024 at 10:11
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 10:11
Originally posted by Distant Distant wrote:

Nope but that definitely fits the theme description.

Well, there were female vocals (or at least a voice) on the second to last track so I really thought that was it. I guess not.
Distant View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Distant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 10:13
Im gonna check that album out, it sounds cool.  The album I'm thinking of is not as explicitly a concept album with characters and stuff. 
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 10:29
a long shot this one, but it's a one-off album, Neo-Prog (despite the label here), partly set off earth, female backing vocals:

Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 10:40
Ayreon and maybe Edison's Children are worth looking into also.
Distant View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Distant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 10:43
Nope and nope.

I am very familiar with Ayreon and the surrounding projects.
Distant View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Distant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 10:44
Dont forget the section with female vocals is reggae-esque.  Think this beat/tempo.  And it comes out of nowhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3m3b5GGflk

Edited by Distant - May 17 2024 at 10:46
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 10:55
Do you recall any "snatches" of lyrics?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 11:05
Originally posted by Distant Distant wrote:

Nope and nope.

I am very familiar with Ayreon and the surrounding projects.

Edison's Children are not Ayreon related. It was a side project involving Pete Trewavas from Marillion and another guy. One of the guest musicians was Neil Armstrong's son.
Distant View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Distant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 11:35
Those statements werent necessarily connected but I know where I am :)

Lyrics are just vague impressions like I know the pitch and melody but I dont know the words.  This is killin me lol.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 11:52
Good luck. I hope others on here will lead you to what you are looking for.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 22:49
It does sound a bit like the one off project Sound Of Contact and their album called Dimensionaut. The main writers are Dave Kerzner and Simon Collins (son of Phil). Kerzner also further explores these themes on the In Continuum albums which were originally intented to be the follow up to the Dimensionaut release I believe and tackle the subject of being disconnected from a space alien perspective rather than a human perspective.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2024 at 03:55
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

It does sound a bit like the one off project Sound Of Contact and their album called Dimensionaut. The main writers are Dave Kerzner and Simon Collins (son of Phil). Kerzner also further explores these themes on the In Continuum albums which were originally intented to be the follow up to the Dimensionaut release I believe and tackle the subject of being disconnected from a space alien perspective rather than a human perspective.

Exactly my thoughts!   Fantastic album!!!
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2024 at 08:49
Cosmograf and Lonely Robot were the first two that came to my mind. 
Distant View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Distant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2024 at 12:29
SOUND OF CONTACT.  YES.  I knew there was an "of" and a "C" in there!

RICHARD you are THE MAN and your taste in music is impeccable, clearly. Big smile  Just in time for me to go out and mow the lawn lol

Edited by Distant - May 18 2024 at 12:30
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2024 at 12:36
Unfortunately that album (SOC) is out of print so I hope you don't need a physical copy. Glad you found out what it is though.
Distant View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Distant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2024 at 13:35
Like all things, it's on Youtube for free in headphone quality. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2024 at 13:44
I listen to youtube but not for serious listening. I noticed it's on spotify too though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>