Opeth - Damnation CD (album) cover

DAMNATION

Opeth

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

asimplemistake
5 stars This is an album full of beautiful, melancholic soft songs by Swedish metal gods OPETH. This album came as a surprise to many fans of OPETH, but I see this album as a blessing.

The production of this album is great. I love all of the work Steven Wilson does, and when I heard he did this CD, I knew it would be good (of course he also did BWP and Deliverance). The guitar parts on this CD are amazing, some parts are fast, many of them are very hard to play, yet they all are delicate and played so well. I can hear a very big classical influence in the playing, but there is also a large influence from 70's Prog Rock, most notably, CAMEL. The keyboards, although they may sound odd at first, are very important in this album (yay melotron!). They add a lot to the beauty in this album.

Martin Mendez does a wonderful job on bass, perfect playing really. Martin Lopez, the other Martin, is great on drums too. I love his style, it is somewhat Latin influenced, and also of course influenced by metal, but it sits perfectly within the sound of the clean electric guitars.

One of the best, and most important, parts of this album is the singing. Mikael has a very soft, deep voice that he hadn't used too much before this album. It's amazing that he can do such deep death vocals and then do and album like this with such a soothing singing voice.

The songwriting is really good. Just like their heavy music, the mood switches a lot. For example, "Windowpane", one of my favorites, has a wonderful intro and verse sections (I love the use of the second and minor third in this song) but then it also has a more uneasy and dissonant middle section. Then it jumps back to the very soft sound with one of my favorite parts of this CD. All songs here are amazing.

I found it very surprising that a metal band like OPETH would make an album like this, but I'm very glad that they did. I think almost everyone who likes prog would enjoy this album. My friends who absolutely hate Opeth because of their death growls still fell in love with this album.

Definitely a masterpiece, 100% worth buying.

asimplemistake | 5/5 |