Opeth - Deliverance CD (album) cover

DELIVERANCE

Opeth

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

asimplemistake
3 stars This album does have some great moments in it, but I find that it is lacking something. There are still some great parts in this album, and some of the songs are amazing, I just don't like many parts of this album.

Lets talk about the good first. The are some great singing parts here. By singing I mean singing, not growling. Songs like "Deliverance" and "Master's Apprentice" have some very great vocal melodies. My favorite songs on this album are "A Fair Judgment", "For Absent Friends", and "By the Pain I see in Others" (which is oddly one of Mikael's least favorite songs). "Deliverance" has a very nice middle section, and one of the coolest riffs ever to end it, but that riff seems to go on forever. The guitar solos are nice, the growling is...growly..., and the drums are great...except some parts. Ill talk about that in a sec.

Now about why I don't really like this CD. "Wreath", the opening track, is a song I just don't enjoy. It's all growling until the very end, where there are a few sung parts in the background. This song is just a constant beating, and lacks the beautiful melancholy that I love Opeth for. I also just hate that drum pattern during the first riff. Just, the double bass and..I dunno I just never liked it.

"Deliverance" is a nice song, but the end repeats way too much. The same goes for the beginning of "A Fair Judgment", but this song is very enjoyable. "Master's Apprentice" again has a riff/drum pattern that I just don't like in the beginning. The middle section of this song is amazing, followed by a good heavy section, but the beginning ruined this song for me.

It's very unfortunate that I have to give this CD such a low rating, because I love Opeth, but I find this to be their weakest CD in my collection. I would like to give this CD a 4 stars, but I just cant. It is still good, but it's not an essential album of theirs. My advice would be to start with Ghost Reveries, Blackwater Park, or Damnatioin first.

asimplemistake | 3/5 |