Journey - Journey CD (album) cover

JOURNEY

Journey

pinkpork
4 stars A very, very solid debut by a band that would soon make pop albums.

I never thought that a fusion band like this would become a pop band.

Once in a Lifetime: An awesome power ballad. I find myself listening to this song many times, because of its emotional melodies and good lyrics. A very good one. 8/10

In the Morning Day: More of an Elton John-sounding song. It starts out as a catchy slow song, but then, after half of the song goes by, a great jazz-rock solo starts and gets faster. 7/10

Kohutek: This is the very best on the album! It is an instrumental, and their best one, along with Nickel and Dime. It is a song that build up the intensity over the span of 2 minutes, then Gregg Rolie and Neal Schon have a soloing fight to the death! This is a great song. 10/10

To Play Some Music: A more bluesy song. It seems to be mildly inspired by Led Zeppelin. The keyboard plays a big role in this song. 8/10

Topaz: Another instrumental, this time very related to Mahavishnu Orchestra. It starts out slow, with quiet guitar playing and keyboards in the background. Then it becomes a very fast, dynamic, and most of all progressive song. 9/10

In my Lonely Feeling: A pretty good ballad, but not the best on the album. It seems to be a more commercial song, but it also has an instrumental part to it, too. 6/10

Mystery Mountain: A very fun and enjoyable song. It also rocks harder than most of the other songs on the album. A very good closer. 8/10

I think that this is the best and most progressive album by Journey altogether.

pinkpork | 4/5 |