Redemption - Long Night's Journey Into Day CD (album) cover

LONG NIGHT'S JOURNEY INTO DAY

Redemption

javajeff
3 stars Let me start out by saying that I am a huge Ray Alder fan, and A Pleasant Shade Of Gray is a favorite album of mine that I play regularly. I love Fates Warning, so naturally Redemption has been another progressive metal band to interest me with the Fates Warning connection. Ok, so you decide to replace Ray with someone else. Say, what? I do not understand why this happened, but I cannot take anything away from Tom Englund as he does a fine job on the album. As you would expect from a Redemption album, there is excellent musicianship. Long Night's Journey Into Day is another album with Nick Van Dyk's signature flavor of progressive metal. But it is missing a spark. Let me state my second beef with the album. U2's New Year's Day in the middle of the album. Now, I love the original song by U2, and listened to it a ton the 80s. The Redemption cover is decent, but it should be a bonus track at the very least and placed at the very end album. Do not interrupt your creativity with a cover. I am not a fan of covers to begin with, and I rarely find ones that I like. When bands release deluxe versions of albums where the second disc is a covers disc, I buy the standard version. If I want to hear an album by a band, I will buy that band's album. I am really not into these types of novelties, and I wish bands would stop doing it. Is there some sort of loss of creativity where the need is to leverage other band's stuff? I am finding Long Night's Journey Into Day tough to swallow, and I doubt it will have the longevity that I put into Snowfall On Judgment Day or The Fullness Of Time. I thought The Art Of Loss was an excellent release as well. I will give some more listens to Long Night's Journey Into Day, but when New Year's Day starts, it really is a bizarre addition to this lackluster release.
javajeff | 3/5 |