NATTFIOLEN

Buy JORDSJØ Music
Studio Album, released in 2019

1. Ouverture (1:19)
2. Stifinner (7:52)
3. Solens Sirkulære Sang (7:39)
4. Septemberbål (1:49)
5. Mine Templer II (6:29)
6. Til Våren (9:02)
7. Ulvenatt (5:45)

Total time 39:55

- Håkon Oftung / vocals, guitar, flute, Hammond M100, Mellotron, Clavinet D6, ARP Pro Soloist
- Kristian Frøland / drums, triangle, percussion

With:
- Vilde Mertensen Storesund / backing vocals
- Ståle Langhelle / ARP Pro Soloist synth (2)
- Geir Opdal / Bucha Music Easel synth (7)
- Christian Meaas Svendsen / double bass (5)
- Håkon Knutzen / percussion, mixing

Artwork: Sindre Foss Skancke

LP Pancromatic ‎- PLP 2036 (2019, Norway)

CD Karisma Records ‎- KAR176 (2019, Norway)

FLAC download - bandcamp.com

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

Buy JORDSJØ Nattfiolen Music

More places to buy JORDSJØ music online Buy JORDSJØ & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

JORDSJØ Nattfiolen ratings distribution

JORDSJØ Nattfiolen reviews

Review by Progfan97402
5 stars The only disappointing thing I can say about this album is the title track being left off, thankfully you can download it over at Bandcamp, but that piece is so amazing it shouldn't have been left off the album, it would have fit fine on the CD, but since the vinyl LP was also in mind, Håkon Oftung had to make the decision to leave it off and not have to disappoint buyers in either the CD or LP camp.

I am so pleased that I didn't have to wait so long for a Jordsjø release, not like Wobbler where you had to wait six years between releases (Rites at Down, From Silence to Somewhere). Which I love about Jordsjø since discovering them in September 2017 is that organic approach to prog, with a frequent pastoral approach that I really dig, often rooted in Nordic folk, giving it that Scandinavian feel that I so enjoy from prog from that area of the world. I also love how they completely avoid that sterile digital approach that plagues way too much prog these days (neo prog obviously being the most guilty). As usual Oftung gets help from Kristian Frøland on drums and various guests as needed. "Ouveture" is a simple piano and flute intro, but "Stifinner" is the first real song on the album. Starts off with this loud Mellotron passage, but then calms down with acoustic guitar, with vocals in Norwegian (in fact all the vocals are in Norwegian). I really like that organ and flute passage later on. "Solens Sirkulære Sang" is a lengthier piece demonstrating the band's more ambitious side, but Håkon Oftung also knows his limits, as Jordsjø as never been about playing a million notes per second (too much prog since the 1990s has been like that, and even before then ELP was frequently accused of that as well), like Camel, Jordsjø is more focused on the emotional part, unlike Camel, they give it that Nordic touch. "Septemberbål" is an unaccompanied acoustic guitar piece, much like a Nordic version of "Mood For a Day", but unlike that famous piece, it's more influenced by Nordic folk than classical guitar like what you get from Steve Howe. "Mine Templer II", a sequel of "Mine Templer I" (from 2016's Jordsjø II, later appearing on the self-entitled double album compilation). Instead of rehashing the original, it's completely brand new song and it's truly a stunning piece. I only imagine the lyrics having a same them that connects the two (but lost on me not knowing Norwegian) Really dig that flute intro, sounds so '70s you think it was recorded in the '70 (funny how that flute intro reminded me of that incidental music I heard on the original 1970s Land of the Lost TV series as I frequently heard similar sounding flute, although in the case of Håkon Oftung, it's likely just a coincidence as he was clearly not alive in the '70s, and lives in Norway). Then the song starts with a wonderful pastoral approach, nice vocals in Norwegian, and that nice use of piano to go with it, but I love how things change, with an intense organ passage, then the vocal theme reappears, this time, without vocals, but jazzy guitar parts instead, then a wonderful theme to close this piece. "Til Våren" is a really ingenious piece. There's the vocal section, and then when the flute section kicks in, it took me several listens to discover the flute theme is the same as the vocal section. Jordsjø sure has a way with creating a theme, and changing it drastically until it dawns on you it's a different take on that theme. Regardless this is truly one of the album's highlights. "Ulvenatt" is an atmospheric number that's very much in Pink Floyd territory, also Camel and even Sebastian Hardie. Håkon Oftung even does that David Gilmour style of guitar playing (also a bit in the style of Andy Latimer and Mario Millo). It ends with Geir Opdal giving some brief sound effects off his Buchla Music Easel.

And just in case you don't know Jordsjø, their music is very highly recommended if you enjoy bands like Wobbler, Änglagård, White Willow, Sinkadus, Tusmørke, and Landberk.

As mentioned, the omission of the title track is the album's only disappointment, had this been made in, say 2005, it would have been likely included as it would have been likely only issued on CD because 2005 would have been before the vinyl resurgence. If it was included it certainly would have been a highlight, but as it stands, the album, even without the title track, still blows me away. It's certainly one of the finest releases of 2019 so far.

Review by BrufordFreak
COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator
4 stars A band I've been following since their first Jord releases. I was highly critical of their initial releases due to their lack of maturity both as songwriters, instrumentalists, and cohesive band mates. This album displays how far they have come--as well as how hard they've worked. I'm so glad they took criticism well and continued to persevere cuz it's really paid off.

1. "Ouverture" (1:19) flute-driven acoustic instrumental (4/5)

2. "Stifinner" (7:52) opens with proggy bombast but the band is not rhythmically tight! Acoustic guitar sets tone for next section. Flutes, bass, drums, and organ join in before vocals and fuzzy electric guitars can enter. Lyrics, sung in Swedish, are adequate with a nice melody. There's a little 60s psychedelia in here, as well--in both sound and tension. The instrumental section in the third and fourth minutes has some amazing chord progressions with very nice soli over the top. Things slow down while a swirling organ arpeggio keeps things moving as flutes, fuzz guitar, bass, and percussive rhythm guitar add their flourishes and riffs. This morphs into a more whole-band section with some cohering power chords, but then acoustic guitars, bass and flute take over in a very beautiful, delicate section. The final minute has drums, spoken word, and a kind of GENESIS Trespass/Nursery Cryme ending. Nicely crafted; these guys have really matured. (13.5/15)

3. "Solens Sirkulære Sang" (7:39) opens feeling very much as if it could come from GENESIS' album Trespass but then moves into KING CRIMSON "Moonchild" territory. Despite the delicate instruments used by this band, they do a very convincing job of portending a deep and heavy mood. (12.75/15)

4. "Septemberbål" (1:49) a folk instrumental on some kind of lute-like instrument with some sounds and stylings that feel as though they came from the Late Mediæval or Renaissance worlds. (5/5)

5. "Mine Templer II" (6:29) flute over jazz guitar accompaniment is soon joined by piano, double bass, organ, and, later, drums. Suddenly at the 0:50 mark a fuzz guitar chord introduces an ominously heavier section--one that feels quite VDGG or DISCIPLINE-like. Piano trills, Stephen Stills-like guitar flourishes, and Hugh Banton-like organ play with multi-voice vocals. The fourth minute ends with a thicker whole-band theme before lapsing back into the ominous main theme. All instruments seem to take a turn offering their tasteful soli until it finally fades with Stills-guitar and Hammond. (14/15)

6. "Til Våren" (9:02) some CAMEL, YES, and GENESIS sounds and styles are melded into this one. When the music quiets down to allow for the singing to start it feels very much like WOBBLER. The music flows in the common A-B-A-C-A-B format with slight and over variations within each repetition of a section. The harmonized vocal sections happen to be my favorite parts of this one (which are, unfortunately, the "B" sections). (17/20)

7. "Ulvenatt" (5:45) feels like a smooth jazz remake of a pop ballad: it's pretty and melodic and bluesy but not the prog I gravitate to (more like CAMEL or some of FOCUS' old ballads). (8.25/10)

Total time 39:55

Nicely crafted music--intricately constructed songs all. These guys have really matured.

4.5 stars; a near-masterpiece of intricately composed and performed prog music.

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars Jordsjø are based around Håkon Oftung (vocals, guitar, flute, Hammond M100, Mellotron, Clavinet D6, ARP Pro) and Kristian Frøland (drums, triangle, percussion) with some additional guests, and this is their fifth album in just four years so they are incredibly prolific for this style of music. This is an album out of time, as the guys refuse to sit within one particular genre of progressive rock and instead move throughout the scene, bringing it together in something which feels quite lightweight at times and massively complex at others. Just by looking at how plays what on the album, I expect from will discount Frøland as "just" the drummer and that this is based all around Oftung, but while that is obviously true in some respects, here is a musician who I would expect to be as happy playing jazz as he is prog, as he is way more over the kit than many would expect.

But given that virtually everything else is performed by Oftung (although a special mention should be made of Christian Meaas Svendsen ? he may only play his double bass on the one song, "Mine Templer II", but it has quite an impact), it is his vision which carries it through. It is hard for the listener to pick his main instrument, as at times it appears to be piano, at others keyboards, while his guitar and bass playing is superb and his flute sublime. It is unusual to find a musician who appears so content on woodwind, stringed instruments and keyboards, and don't forget he also provides vocals. Vocals are in Norwegian, which I am really happy about as it adds an additional element to a non-native speaker such as myself.

It isn't unusual for there to be sections where there is very little bottom end to the arrangements, no bass and very little foundation, which moves the music in a quite different direction. Even though none of the songs are particularly lengthy (just one more than nine minutes in length, and the album itself is less than forty), there is always room for the music to shift and change considerably throughout. Jordsjø are a new name for me, even though they have been around for a while, and here is yet another I will be adding to my watchlist as this is a very strong album indeed which is highly recommended to any old school progheads.

5 stars Color me impressed! Mellow mellotrons serenade golden filigreed flute's opposite alpine meadows. Exploding crescendos blossom heads of wolfsbane, woundwort, and purple vetch. Bluebells sway, nod approval at mountain meadow winds. Musical equivalent of a Swedish massage. Haunted Norwegian woody ... (read more)

Report this review (#2234150) | Posted by omphaloskepsis | Sunday, June 30, 2019 | Review Permanlink

4 stars "Tons of Trons!" In the early Nineties a new wave of Skandinavian prog started to blossom, speerheaded by Anekdoten, Anglagard and Landberk, w ... (read more)

Report this review (#2233548) | Posted by TenYearsAfter | Thursday, June 27, 2019 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Surely their best. So, one can ask me, why four stars only? Maybe the reviewer is a 'cloth-eared nincompoop' ((c) M. Oldfield, 1990)? Maybe, maybe. But the reason is different. Apart from the seven tracks stuffing the album, there's an additional 14-minute epic suite known as 'Nattfiolen Demo', ... (read more)

Report this review (#2216320) | Posted by proghaven | Tuesday, May 28, 2019 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of JORDSJØ "Nattfiolen"