Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteven Wilson Vs. Roine Stolt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2012 at 18:10
For one time I was lazy and didn't read all the pages, but still, Steven, I love you and all, but you can't say those things when your music is clearly ctrl c+ctrl v from Pink Floyd and King Crimson albums.
I guess if TFK is 1972, then SW is 1974....?
http://www.last.fm/user/javier0889
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 19:48
I can't find a single KC element in any PT song ever written. PF I understand a bit. There's a difference between influence, and being a rehash of the past. SW makes a good point, while he might have been extreme with his wording, it's valid nonetheless.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2012 at 01:42
I don't think either bands are copies of anything. This thread is completely redundant. You pays your money and takes your choice and individual taste plays a big part in that decision.
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2012 at 09:02

Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

I can't find a single KC element in any PT song ever written. PF I understand a bit. There's a difference between influence, and being a rehash of the past. SW makes a good point, while he might have been extreme with his wording, it's valid nonetheless.

How about Nil Recurring?

I'd agree, however, that the PT members (apart from the excellent Gavin H) haven't really had the skills and/or ambition to emulate the intensity and sophistication of KC. 

But there are more similarities between KC and PT (or, to be more accurate, between Bobby and Stevie) than many of us notice .. consider these:

- Both passionately nurture and worship their aircraft carrier-size egos. Both will pay attention to the fans and band members for exactly as long as it's necessary for a given ego-worshiping session. 

- Both get bored with the "same old" quickly and predictably, even when the same "same old" has made them rich and famous.

Think of the KC vs. PT incarnations:

(1) The pre-Bruford  KC could be compared to the pre-Harrison PT - innovative, but not uniquely so; not standing out visibly enough on the musical landscape

(2) The Fripp-Bruford-Wetton era is similar to the 21st century PT: The first album indicated a virtual re-birth of the band, resulting in a sharp increase in visibility (LTIA/In Absentia), but the musical contents were a little "imperfect", so to speak. The second album was near-perfect, and the third was immaculate. --- I don't count the 4th album by PT, The Incident, because by that time Wilson's mind had moved on and away. 

(3) The third incarnation of KC may have retained some of the DNA of the earlier band, but received a massive  blood transfusion (+ Belew, - Wetton). This opened the door to the Projekcts phase - for better of worse. I believe Wilson is undergoing the same transformation right now.

Now, as to Wilson's personality: he does come across as a self-important, arrogant person. If you watched the GAYD DVD: during the intro, he thrusts himself onto the stage and promptly strikes the "Cristo Redentor atop Corcovado" pose. It's like saying, 'I come to redeem My flock from the demons of Katy Purry and Justin Beaver'. He proceeds to exorcise the demons by making his peculiar  hand gestures right in front of the musicians' faces. I said to my wife, 'Gee, if Wilson did that to me, I might punch him right into his pallid face'. She replied, 'That's probably what Niko did, for which he got fired'.    

Edited by Argonaught - November 23 2012 at 09:04
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2012 at 10:36
^You say that like there's something bad.
This night wounds time.
QuestionableScum View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2012 at 10:47
I largely agree with Wilson, although he came off as an arrogant ass in the interview.

However, Stolt came off as vindictive and spiteful by suggesting that Wilson is trying to target a particular kind of audience.

Meta View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2012 at 02:45
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

(1) The pre-Bruford  KC could be compared to the pre-Harrison PT - innovative, but not uniquely so; not standing out visibly enough on the musical landscape

You don't find early KC uniquely innovative? I consider them to be one of the single most important influences on the development of early prog.

Now, as to Wilson's personality: he does come across as a self-important, arrogant person. If you watched the GAYD DVD: during the intro, he thrusts himself onto the stage and promptly strikes the "Cristo Redentor atop Corcovado" pose. It's like saying, 'I come to redeem My flock from the demons of Katy Purry and Justin Beaver'. He proceeds to exorcise the demons by making his peculiar  hand gestures right in front of the musicians' faces. I said to my wife, 'Gee, if Wilson did that to me, I might punch him right into his pallid face'. She replied, 'That's probably what Niko did, for which he got fired'. 

I think SW is more than a little self aware. Take this line from postcard for instance:

"I'm lame and self-obsessed, that I will concede"

There are a few other PT and SW lyrics that show the same sort of self-awareness. The man has an ego and it's well deserved, in my opinion. His ego isn't even close to being on the same level as Fripp, though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2012 at 04:23

Originally posted by Meta Meta wrote:

You don't find early KC uniquely innovative? I consider them to be one of the single most important influences on the development of early prog.

I think SW is more than a little self aware. Take this line from postcard for instance:

"I'm lame and self-obsessed, that I will concede"

There are a few other PT and SW lyrics that show the same sort of self-awareness. The man has an ego and it's well deserved, in my opinion. His ego isn't even close to being on the same level as Fripp, though.

Innovation: Yes, I do believe that. Come on, Fripp was only 23 at the time of ITCOCK debut. He already made a statement he was seeking to re-shape the musical world, but it would still take him a few years to get ready for the seismic shift of LTIA, Starless and Red.  

By the way, I am voting with the PA crowd here: If you look at the KC ratings, on average the Wake/Lizard/Islands are  just below the "Excellent" mark,  while the average of the next three albums borders on the "Masterpiece" category. 

Egomania vs. Self-Awareness: I agree in general. I think that these are just the two sides of the same coin, or two different manifestation of the same "imbalance" - like bullies are usually turn out to be cowards. But also, let's not assume that everything Wilson writes is about his core self.  

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2012 at 06:22
Unfortunately for Mr S. Wilson, I think that Roine Stolte is a superior composer and a much more accomplished lead-guitarist too...This is my personal opinion, but It may well be accepted within the symphonic prog brotherhood...I will concede that PT seems to appeal to a lot of people beyond hard core proggies - but this can be seen as a weakness rather than a strength......
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2012 at 12:10
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Unfortunately for Mr S. Wilson, I think that Roine Stolte is a superior composer and a much more accomplished lead-guitarist too...This is my personal opinion, but It may well be accepted within the symphonic prog brotherhood...I will concede that PT seems to appeal to a lot of people beyond hard core proggies - but this can be seen as a weakness rather than a strength......

If you like him so much, how come you always add that extra 'e' at the end of his last name?  LOL

I just can't believe this thread is still active.  It was a 7 year old interview to begin with (as were Stolt's comments about it).  Wilson has already explained himself, in a way that was not very satisfactory to a lot of people, but still.

I take Stolt's work over Wilson's any day if I was forced to choose just one, but luckily I can enjoy both as my mood warrants.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2012 at 23:37

Wilson as a composer, IMO, is a rather late bloomer. I don't really appreciate much of the pre-Harrison PT. But, In Absentia and Dead Wing already had some semi-immortal compositions, and FOABP is 50% top-notch "prog".

Looking of Wilson's efforts the past few years, GAYD sounds so much better than the feeder albums, Insurgentes and GFD, which is hopefully an evidence of Wilson on-going evolution. Luminol, which I would love to be on his next album, scores very high on my list of purely instrumental fusion pieces.

To sum up, it's not his guitar or composer skills we love Wilson for. To me, he is certainly one of the best band leaders, lyricists and  sound engineers. 

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2012 at 06:22
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

If you like him so much, how come you always add that extra 'e' at the end of his last name?  LOL

I just can't believe this thread is still active.  It was a 7 year old interview to begin with (as were Stolt's comments about it).  Wilson has already explained himself, in a way that was not very satisfactory to a lot of people, but still.

I take Stolt's work over Wilson's any day if I was forced to choose just one, but luckily I can enjoy both as my mood warrants.
Seriously, I have always read the "e" after his surname......and I'd not noticed it wasn't spelt with an "e"...a kind of dyslexia if you will........Cool I'd heard his name spoken...as "Royna Stolta"......and subliminally added the e....hohoho
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2012 at 11:29

Wilson as a composer, IMO, is a rather late bloomer. I don't really appreciate much of the pre-Harrison PT. But, In Absentia and Dead Wing already had some semi-immortal compositions, and FOABP is 50% top-notch "prog".

Looking of Wilson's efforts the past few years, GAYD sounds so much better than the feeder albums, Insurgentes and GFD, which is hopefully an evidence of Wilson on-going evolution. Luminol, which I would love to be on his next album, scores very high on my list of purely instrumental fusion pieces.

To sum up, it's not his guitar or composer skills we love Wilson for. To me, he is certainly one of the best band leaders, lyricists and  sound engineers.

Agree about Wilson as a composer........though I've enjoyed everything he's done since, and including, Up the Downstair.  I would agree though, that the new DVD is easily the best music he's been a part of.  I thought Wilson had confirmed that Luminol was going to be on the new album?  At least, I saw footage of them rehearsing it for recording in the studio.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 01:25
Flower Kings are probably the least remarkable symphonic prog band I have ever heard. Not a copy of anything but I struggle to find anything particlularly interesting about them. I spent Monday afternoon watching Wilson's DVD 'Get all you deserve' .Some truly remarkable music. I do like my symh prog though and ELP,Yes,Glass Hammer and Par Lindh are light years ahead of anything Roine has managed in his lifetime. I've decided I've wasted enough money on his music and can safely cut my losses from now on.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 01:34
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Flower Kings are probably the least remarkable symphonic prog band I have ever heard. Not a copy of anything but I struggle to find anything particlularly interesting about them. I spent Monday afternoon watching Wilson's DVD 'Get all you deserve' .Some truly remarkable music. I do like my symh prog though and ELP,Yes,Glass Hammer and Par Lindh are light years ahead of anything Roine has managed in his lifetime. I've decided I've wasted enough money on his music and can safely cut my losses from now on.

Oh, such a shame, Richard! But I'll grant a pass because I know you like Glass Hammer, Par Lindh etc so much! A lucky save!

But what made me reply was I too was watching that Steven Wilson `Get All You Deserve' DVD last night as well, and I lost count of how many times my jaw dropped while watching it. What an amazing concert, with a bunch of totally s**t-hot musicians playing such emotional, edgy and fascinating music. Extra points for the very minamal lighting/stage effects too. Wilson is so quietly and intensely charismatic on that disc.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 08:51

Funny, with the exception of your comment about Get All You Deserve, I totally disagree with everything you say here.  With the exception of ELP and Yes, I find TFK far superior in every way to the bands you list (and I'd say they are in the same league as ELP and Yes, with far less poor tracks than either band).  I suppose that just demonstrates how subjective musical enjoyment can be.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 15:13
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Oh, such a shame, Richard! But I'll grant a pass because I know you like Glass Hammer, Par Lindh etc so much! A lucky save!

But what made me reply was I too was watching that Steven Wilson `Get All You Deserve' DVD last night as well, and I lost count of how many times my jaw dropped while watching it. What an amazing concert, with a bunch of totally s**t-hot musicians playing such emotional, edgy and fascinating music. Extra points for the very minamal lighting/stage effects too. Wilson is so quietly and intensely charismatic on that disc.

Obviously I do have a complete blind spot as far as The Flower Kings and it even extends to another project of his Transatlantic. However I do like Neal Morse as you know so its had to say what turns me off totally about Roine. I've seen him a couple of times live and also been severely underwelmed by the experience. Its annoying because the music is pure symphonic prog. I should like it but I simply don't.

Wilson on the other hand should not be my cup of tea but I have found myeslf gradually drawn into his web and know I can't get out!

Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 15:17
I have one Transatlantic album and just can't get into it. I've tried. 

Wilson's music is much more my bag.
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 16:16

Obviously I do have a complete blind spot as far as The Flower Kings and it even extends to another project of his Transatlantic. However I do like Neal Morse as you know so its had to say what turns me off totally about Roine. I've seen him a couple of times live and also been severely underwelmed by the experience. Its annoying because the music is pure symphonic prog. I should like it but I simply don't.

Wilson on the other hand should not be my cup of tea but I have found myeslf gradually drawn into his web and know I can't get out!

Same here on both counts. 

Especially about getting hooked on Wilson. 

The first PT piece of music I came across - accidentally! - was the God-awful Voyage 34, Phase I. I thought to myself, 'Hmmm, that's just a pile of cut-n-paste PF chords, laced with some truly lame talking ... who the heck are these clowns again?'. 

Ended up buying 14 albums, PT and side projects, somehow. Black magic?

With apologies to the Wilson's unconditional fans, we have little use for 90% of his music. There is just too much of him experimenting, wallowing in his dark side and exorcising his demons, which is not terribly amusing. But, FOABP and GAYD are extraordinary masterpieces Wacko

italobrito View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2012 at 07:10
First of all, I am fan of both SW and RS and enjoy their music very much. But SW was very unfortunate making as such statement. If we talk about prog music, TFK will always be one of the band in evidence.... Anyways, I'm not trying to defend one or another, I just think there is no point  ones trying to promote himself in detriment of someone else. SAD SAD SAD!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819>