Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2nd Best 'Classic Era' Female Singer?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Okay, so who was the Second best singer from the 1970s?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.70%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [7.41%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.70%]
1 [3.70%]
4 [14.81%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [11.11%]
1 [3.70%]
2 [7.41%]
1 [3.70%]
7 [25.93%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [14.81%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2nd Best 'Classic Era' Female Singer?
    Posted: August 02 2023 at 09:04
Same idea as the previous poll only with runaway-winner Annie Haslam removed and replaced. 

So who was the second best singer from prog's "classic era"? (And don't worry: I'm not going to keep doing these after this one.)

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2023 at 09:07
She's not in the poll, but predictably, Jane Relf is my second-favourite after Annie Haslam. Smile

From the poll, I'll go with Barbara Gaskin.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 02 2023 at 09:10
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2023 at 09:09
Sonja Kristina
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2023 at 09:26
Maddy Prior gets the nod.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2023 at 09:32
Maggie Reilly
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2023 at 09:44
Still Pascale Son, but love most of these (including Annie) actually. I think I might have a slight preference for the female voice. Linda Perhacs Paralellograms is a masterpiece. I wish she got to have a full career (in the 1970's).

I would have included Flora Purim and Catherine Ribeiro over a few of these though.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2023 at 10:57
Still Dagmar Krause. Please call me on the geophone where I will give status updates of my helioseismology.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2023 at 13:50
I think Sandy Denny is a better singer (certainly much more prolific) but the stuff I love of hers is 99% folks, but must post a great jazzy-folk song.. As well as the bluesy "One More Chance" with Fairport Convention or the funky "Gold Dust" on her last album. 

When it comes to prog, I gotta give 2nd place to Beate Krause. Only one album, but I think it's one of the last great prog albums.

Would love more songs like this!

Edited by MortSahlFan - August 02 2023 at 13:54
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2023 at 14:43
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

She's not in the poll, but predictably, Jane Relf is my second-favourite after Annie Haslam. Smile

From the poll, I'll go with Barbara Gaskin.

Damn! I thought of including Jane but the one album-and-disappear-act kind of discouraged me.

Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2023 at 14:47
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

I think Sandy Denny is a better singer (certainly much more prolific) but the stuff I love of hers is 99% folks, but must post a great jazzy-folk song.. As well as the bluesy "One More Chance" with Fairport Convention or the funky "Gold Dust" on her last album. 

When it comes to prog, I gotta give 2nd place to Beate Krause. Only one album, but I think it's one of the last great prog albums.

Would love more songs like this!

Nice to hear from you, Morty! 
I quite agree with you about that Carol of Harvest album: one of the last great prog albums of the "Classic Era".

Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2023 at 14:52
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Still Pascale Son, but love most of these (including Annie) actually. I think I might have a slight preference for the female voice. Linda Perhacs Paralellograms is a masterpiece. I wish she got to have a full career (in the 1970's).

I would have included Flora Purim and Catherine Ribeiro over a few of these though.

Two worthy artists, to be sure! I sure lost contact when I forgot about the J-R Fusion catalogue!

Drew Fisher
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2023 at 14:56
Dagmar
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2023 at 17:12
Dagmar Krause.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2023 at 18:31
My vote is still for Sonja!
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2023 at 00:41
Sandy Denny > Jerney Kaagman > Jacqui McShee
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2023 at 00:53
Many years ago I've been impressed by Jacqui McShee with John Renbourn in a small venue in Rome.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2023 at 04:53
Sonja Kristina for me, with Jacqui McShee a close second (or should that be 3rd?).

BTW I'm slightly surprised  that Jenny Haan (Babe Ruth) is missing from the list. One of the most captivating and mesmerising prog vocalists I've ever seen on stage.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2023 at 05:41
While I like Jenny Haan, I think Babe Ruth's music was really good and wonder how they would fare out with another singer like so many prog-rock bands (at least in the 70s) who would have multiple singers.

Edited by MortSahlFan - August 03 2023 at 05:41
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2023 at 06:05
Jerney Kaagman (Earth And Fire)
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2023 at 06:34
Sonja Kristina (Curved Air).
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
 Post Reply Post Reply