Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Japanese Progressive Rock presented by DamoX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 52>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 4.25  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 23:16
Originally posted by Takeshi Kovacs Takeshi Kovacs wrote:

No - it's one of the threads on this ProgArchives forum:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50152&PN=1

The most recent posts are from this week, which was Japanese Prog week.

At first... so sorry Takeshi, I've watched your thread and been very amazed. Embarrassed
You know more and more than common Japanese about Japanese (progressive) rock. Clap
As I realize from your first name Takeshi, the Japanese blood should run in your heart and vessels! Big smile
I love particularly Acid Mothers Temple, Shingetsu, and Happy Family - though each band might be not related to others. LOL

Originally posted by Alberto Muñoz Alberto Muñoz wrote:

I do not know why Julian Cope did not like Foodbrain and Shinki Shen solo album: both for me are great!!

Alberto, I strongly agree with you.
In my SATORI review, I've told just the same thing.
Julian Cope tend to compare them (especially Shinki Chen) with US or British bands.
Indeed the talent or skill of Japanese players was not as terrific as the West ones, but Japanese bands should try hard to follow the West, with holding their native flavour.
I consider the originality be beyond words!

Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

Damo, I noticed you're from Wakayama... Have you ever heard the album ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING-GLASS by Shinsekai, an Osaka prog band? It's a wonderful mixture of Japanese rock, Canterbury Scene, King Crimson, Zappa and Focus (!) and it features a rocking version of "Jabberwocky" (a poem from ALICE) sung in Japanese by a girls' choir!

I wonder what happened to Shinsekai. I tried to look at their website yesterday but the link didn't work anymore. Perhaps they've given up? If I remember it well, ALICE only appeared two years ago or so.

I've often thought Shinsekai ought to be on Prog Archives, since they are "retro" in the same way as The Flower Kings or the Tangent, but with a Japanese twist...

Oops, sorry, I noticed it's Okayama, not Wakayama... But that's still Kansai, wouldn't you say?

fuxi, I was born in Wakayama really. You made NO mistake. (Oh, Okayama is not in Kansai area but in Chugoku one.) Star
Anyway, I've lived in Shinsekai, near the center of Osaka...with cheesy and dirty atmosphere. LOL
The band Shinsekai I've not heard yet, and gonna try and enjoy. Wink
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 23:24
And now one of the most excellent Japanese avant-jazz albums has come! Shocked

The Man Who Does Not Nod  by TIPOGRAPHICA album cover

The Man Who Does Not Nod
Tipographica RIO/Avant-Prog

Review by DamoXt7942
Collaborator Psych/Space Team

4 stars I've seen a real avant-jazz band in Japan playing flexibly.

What a tensive and unequivocal but enjoyable and relaxed play they could give to us! Now the more and more I listen to the live work, the stronger and stronger my impression and amazement can be. At first listen to it! The sharp saxophone sounds can tell us all about the album. Their music style is basically jazzy, funky, freaky, and free-formed one, with complex and improvisatory rhythm and play. Really...really we should be fallen into their battles with a saxophone, guitars, and percussion - especially the rhythm section can make all sounds twisted and sharp-edged but strict and steady...have the key role I consider! Indeed there are lots of 'big waves' with alternative beats (so difficult for the outfit to play, harmonize strictly and steadily), but on the stage they could build the songs up freely, naturally. Wanna say, you can't believe this work be of some of their live performances, can you? I'm sure this recording condition should be quite good with heavy and clear instrumental sounds and, on the other hand their skill of playing should be beyond expression. Their intention and purpose - they should kick the core or medulla of avant-jazz rock deeply into our brain - can move and blow us away without any stop.

Although we may not have notice this be a live album without applause between some songs, let me say that the audience should be an invisible (inaudible?) instrument and also the audience could make the songs with the band together. Otherwise, I guess this tension must not be born here.

Yes, this brilliant masterpiece could be born from the ground of the earth, without any artifacts or artifices.

Thanks vajrabrett for your fantastic input! Clap

tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2009 at 08:23
Quote : Tamijo, please enjoy Tenjin, Hakata next year! Star
...Anyway, the word "Hibari" should remind me (a Japanese) "Hibari Misora"...is it correct?
Forgive me but Hibari was a great singer in Japanese economically growing period, not my glass of whisky... Smile
If it not be correct, please point out my mistake.
Unquote 

You are right she is a "normal" singer in general. Often reminds me of Judy Garland or something like that,
but this record is very diffrent, The name is : "Hauta o Utau"

Edited by tamijo - June 21 2009 at 08:24
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2009 at 00:16
That's it, tamijo! LOL

Even now Hibari Misora is one of the most popular singers for especially elderly people in Japan although she's passed away 20 years before. Clap
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2009 at 00:20
This is one of may favorite Japanese albums is The Gate by Teru's Symphonia,

Megumi Tokuhisa is better than ever and Shouichi Aoki  is a wonderful keyboardist, specially when speed is required, songs as the frantic Wish are simply delightful,

The problem is that the language is a bit unfriendly for most of the people outside Japan.

Iván

tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2009 at 01:27
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

That's it, tamijo! LOL

Even now Hibari Misora is one of the most popular singers for especially elderly people in Japan although she's passed away 20 years before. Clap
O Yes i know, my wife is crazy about her, we got as many albums with her as i got King Crims (all of em)
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2009 at 18:25

Djamra, formed in Osaka by the key player and a bassist Masaharu Nakakita, gave the first shout in 1994.
They could grow up every year playing around lots of shows and see the moonshine with the eponymous debut mini-album in 2000.
Their musical style is exactly complex mixture of rock, jazz, avant-garde and Naniwan beat.
Shinji Kitamura (saxophone) plays on Djamra from their early days and Akihiro Enomoto (drums and percussions) joined the outfit in 2001.
Polishing their brilliant skill and originality could led them to the debut on POSEIDON/MUSEA Records and the release of the second album "Transplantation" in 2003.
For releasing "Kamihitoe" (2006), their third work, they auditioned two talented musicians; Akira Ishikawa (guitars) and Takehiro Fukuda (keyboards).
They now can get more powerful, more worldwide, and more foolish! ...Anyway, in Osaka, "AHO" (fool in English) is a respectful word. :-)

Active, aggressive, avant-garde and after all aholish explosion they can give us!

Exactly their third work "Kamihitoe" is a wonderful chandelier united with their musical brilliancy. They can push strongly their rock flavour rather than jazzy one. Therefore Djamra's play is heavier and more aggressive than of another jazz-rock band. The first part or the last one of "Alha-Ha" has laidback sounds (and they can play naturally and with relaxed), with some avant-garde and eccentricity in the middle part. This musical offence should be their style I consider.

The song formed with their favourable essence (heavy, jazzy, funky, aggressive but serious and strict) is the first track "Kamihitoe" (in English "Close to the edge"?), their masterpiece. After the spacey opening, all instruments can attack us heavily...the sounds of a bass and drums & percussion are very steady, strict, and ease our mind. On the contrary, saxophone, keyboard, and guitar sounds are very aggressive, eccentric, and violent and rampant (great!). The latter ones can play much with improvised, over the strict rhythm section. In fact the point is that the improvised instruments cannot play wonderfully without the rhythm section, a steady basis.

And the song we can feel the bass & percussion terrific is the second track "New Bound". Please listen to the first half. The serious battle with Masaharu and Akihiro is beyond words. We can feel very happy only to hear the battle. On it, in the latter half, a loud saxophone and a heavy guitar join. Suddenly, in the quiet world, eccentric piano sound freeze us. We, completely frozen, will be hit and blown by all of them at last. LOL.

Furthermore, can you pay attention to the song "94k2"? 94k2 - KUSHIKATSU - in English, a broiled cutlet on a skewer - is a local special food in Osaka. Various ingredients, sources, and tastes can come one after another aggressively...with loud voices of the shopmaster. This dirty atmosphere and oily flavour we Osakan feel very GOOD...not kidding! Oh, the last is a dessert - FLIED ICE CREAM! hahhaha!

The word "mixture" or "toy box" can remarkably match Djamra's style and policy. We cannot imagine what should pop up from the "toy box" until the end.

Ah...well...the last track's title "AHONOKO" is very good! Who is ahonoko (a fool)? Djamra? We listeners? No, both! Crazy, eccentric, and funky, funny sounds can be very comfortable for us fools. Yes, Aho is the greatest! Thank you Djamra for your fantastic gems to us foolish fans. Please laugh out loudly!

Thank you for reading this blog.

Edited by DamoXt7942 - October 11 2013 at 00:08
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2009 at 18:28
Thank you Ivan, always I appreciate your symphonic prog information!
Sorry Teru's Symphonia I've not tasted but this sleeve could move me strongly!
Jon89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2009 at 03:11
jon 89
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2009 at 08:40
Originally posted by Jon89 Jon89 wrote:

check this out: ...

Sorry I can't watch it...any problems in this page? Nuke

And...

Absolutely an incorrect picture (of Korean Psych) I wanna say! LOL
Jon89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2009 at 18:46
The link works for me
jon 89
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2009 at 08:45
Wonderful Japanese gem! I'm amazed perfectly!

Complex Combat by AMYGDALA album cover
Studio Album, 2008
Complex Combat
Amygdala Zeuhl

Review by DamoXt7942

4 stars Yoshiyuki Nakajima's brilliant and refined keyboard sounds can lead all of other instruments and listeners into the darkness.

A keen hit of his piano opens the curtain of the AMYGDALA's Complex Combat show. Over 45 minutes you cannot breathe well, and your brain will be broken and melted down by lacking of oxygen and high fever of your passion. As above mentioned, the star of the show is Yoshiyuki, a keyboardist and a bassist. That is, he can play most of AMYGDALA's important roles. He writes all tracks and scripts, plays as not only the the leading actor but another supporting one. With hearing me saying that, you may assume that he should have the show all to himself... No! The important point is that two (plus one) other supporting member, a speedy and sharp guitarist Yoshihiro Yamaji, a strict and steady but much flexible drummer Daniel Jeand'heur, and a terrific KENSO's synth player Ken'ichi Oguchi (track 3 and 4) as a special guest. Such characteristic players can play together without blurring. Can you feel what a wonderful show this be? Oh yes, I could shout so in spite of myself hahhaha...

From start to finish, around the show is dark atmosphere. Not fuzzy or cloudy, but clearly and spiritually dark atmosphere, on it. The act one Double Army is a 12 minute scene without letting us feel the length. Absolutely dangerous keyboard and earachy guitar sounds with drums aggressively flunged can heat our mind and smash our brain to pieces. The sharp-edged darkness and painful killa flavour can remind us the sounds of King Crimson in the Starless And Bible Black era. I'm sure their play and stage should be with full of passion and full of coolness.

After the first act, we should be deeply sunk with the next one, without any short breath and teardrops. This Theatre Anatomy is a surrealistic pillow. Some dry coughs should mean what? The deeper we go backstage or inside of the theatre, the dustier the dressing rooms may be...? Very mysterious and spiritual world we can feel. The strings sounds in the middle part can make the backstage air itself more risky and more dangerous. Where will we go from now? I dunno, I'll never know!

Wow, we should be surprised at a Mole's Egg in the deeply underground theatre. What do this close-to-the-cliff keyboard shouts express? Should it show a mole baby born from the egg? How terribly the shouts be growling! It might kill us at a glance...how fearful! The scene is finished with heartbeat-confusing guitar squeaks. At last, a terrible beast has come here!

Ozy we can find from the title some mysterious stuffs in the stage and the scene. More improvised and more let-us-crazy style the actors can have and give to us. The magical world occupied with devils should get darker and more despaired, as the track be, I always feel. But not always there are killer sounds only but calm and solemn ones sometimes, though the result be same...dark and dangerous. This song and scene is the most improvised and wonderful one in this album and this show I consider.

The last scene Logos gets started with more rigorous and tougher sounds of keyboards and guitars. Well we are remarkably amazed at the star Yoshiyuki and the keyboard plays shining and getting sharper. Although the other instruments can make such an effort - the guitars are loud and impressive, and the drum and percussion are very strict and very serious - as hard as the star keyboard, they should be hidden behind the star player! The leading actor can play his role so gracefully but much violently. THIS IS AMYGDALA SHOW, YOU, BURN IT INTO YOUR EYES AND BRAIN OVER!

Sorry but I can't say anymore. Huh, I'm comfortably tired. And this show's highly recommended naturally!

P.S. This album was recommended to me by John Davie aka sinkadotentree. Thanks John!

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2009 at 18:22

Karuna Khyal biography
(Written by Windhawk and DamoXt7942)
KARUNA KHYAL was one of the most obscure bands of the Japanese psychedelic rock scene.
Some claim the outfit was a one-man project by Yoshihiro Takahashi, others that it was formed with him and his "druggie" family...but now nobody knows a lot about him/them.

They released their one and only album "Alomoni 1985" in 1976 - the music style of which is often compared to FAUST or other Krautrock bands - one of milestones of Japanese psychedelic scene.
Unfortunately it's said they broke up the following year and there's no knowledge about them after that.

Paradigm Discs later re-issued their album on CD, but where not able to provide any more information about this outfit.

...And one of the most mysterious Japanese psych gems. Clap

Alomoni 1985
Karuna Khyal Psychedelic/Space Rock

Review by DamoXt7942

5 stars An obscure Japanese underground outfit hit a grand slam and went out soon. I consider, of KARUNA KHYAL this should be a good expression. No confirmed information about them. (Surprisingly, even the distributor doesn't know the details.) Here's only an album named Alomoni 1985 with no credit. What a mystery! I was so amazed before opening the jack-in-the-box.

Side A 24-32

Eccentric sounds with a twisted guitar and religious percussions & voices have come now! We can have a feeling that something bad would happen - with very solemn, weird, and eerie sounds. Realizing that this music style should be Oriental and of Buddhism, we might come close to be absorbed the weirdness. But don't be deceived. Time's gonna change soon about 3 1/2 minutes later. Suddenly extremely repetitive quiet banjo, stable percussions, and uncomfortable voice over some effectors are around us. Not only this, scenes are altering so rapidly. Here come some growling and bells ringing with the recorded tape slowly or reversely played For these sounds, somebody might say KARUNA KHYAL was of Japanese Krautrock like Faust. However, I do suggest they (he?) should be more influenced by drugs, druggy lives, and drug abuses than Krautrock scene. Such druggie, speedy, and freaky explosions could be born otherwise.

Side B 22-30

More aggressively artifactual noises, process voices repeating Alomoni, O-chow, Gaow, and various meaningless (senseless?) words, and heavy bass sounds can rush toward and run over us. I'm sure, of all in the side, the most important element is the heavy bass. This rhythmical bass sounds can remind us the trip for Buddhism. How? You can feel you repeat the words of Buddha, can't you? About 11 1/2 minutes later, eccentric and crazy guitar sounds and much crazier voices (with cries of a baby and dandling of a father...?) should take us into another sky. We should dance to the druggie noise without our intention whether we misunderstand or not. At last, we should have a vacant feeling with the last quiet air. And go out like the outfit...

Caution! This album is a real drug, not a cranky work...but highly recommended as a drug.

...Anyway, on another side of the Alomoni 1985 sleeve is a serial number of this CD (the first edition) hahhaha. LOL

Edited by DamoXt7942 - October 11 2013 at 00:15
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2009 at 11:05
Ouch, a wonderful Japanese "heavily symphonic psychedelica" has come here! Clap

An Old Castle of Transylvania
Cosmos Factory Psychedelic/Space Rock

Review by DamoXt7942

4 stars Where is an old castle of Transylvania? And what can exist in the castle? You can enjoy the dramatic suite with the imagination.

We can't help discussing An Old Castle Of Transylvania suite at first when we talk about the debut album by COSMOS FACTORY. There are not any brilliant hope or happiness to live at all, but dark, painful and depressive ground and sky. Tsutomu Izumi was the songwriter of this suite - for the first listening, I wondered what he was aiming at. Again and again I've listened to it, and now I can realize he should draw the picture of his death, as a dark castle in the deep forest - which could not get any bright glimmer.

The first part Forest Of The Death is just right for the depressive story. Loud, heavy and repetitive sounds with keyboards, guitars and drums - slightly heavy symphonic style rather than psychedelic one - can exactly sound as if zombies shouting loudly get up and come here one after another! Particularly Tsutomu's keyboard sounds can remind us the darkest Sodom. Terrible...no, terrific ones! The Cursed has so melancholic voices and hearts. By the zombies, people should be cursed in the bloody river under the dead forest. Even if morning comes in the castle, and even if devils fall asleep, Darkness Of The World should be on...real morning will NEVER come into An Old Castle Of Transylvania, the last part of the suite. What a sadness, what a depression! We might not be saved anymore, might we?

Apologize for the discussion in reverse order... The first 5 short pieces are also great. With full of keyboard or mellotron sounds, almost all of Japanese rock bands in those days cannot play. Tsutomu's sensation can be shot absolutely with his another organ. Namely, the keyboard is his heart or his brain. Shinwa (Maybe) is a only song composed not by Tsutomu and (at least) I can feel this is also a only song with a hopeful development of life (though the lyric is about a lonely man - myself).

How can I explain about this great album? Heavily symphonic psychedelia? How do you feel? Please listen to it and let me know. :-)

Edited by DamoXt7942 - October 11 2013 at 00:26
leonard View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2009 at 15:18
I have mostly Japanese metal music but I like more and more Japanese progressive rock.
I've started to collect Yonin Bayashi and Bi Kyo Ran.

Do not forget Carmen Maki & Oz....they made 3 super albums back in the 70's !
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2009 at 18:55
Thanks leonard for your FIRST COMMENT in PA! Clap

Yoninbayashi (not added on PA but already suggested) and Bi Kyo Ran (Kunio Suma's heavy guitar is cool and awesome!) are two of the most famous Japanese progressive rock bands. Highly recommended.

Oh, you bet... Carmen Maki & Oz...will come here in near future! Wink
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2009 at 19:05
Hello Damo san.

I bought their mucic recently.

Please check this link.

And,please let me hear your opinion.

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2009 at 02:26
Thanks kazuhiro, my progressive mate.

Originally posted by kazuhiro kazuhiro wrote:

Hello Damo san.

I bought their mucic recently.

Please check this link.

And,please let me hear your opinion.

Now I'm listening to their samples.
I feel they are a bit far from "progressive", but sharp-edged guitar sound is great! Clap
leonard View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2009 at 07:20

Ever heard of the group Mt-Fuji ?

It was a collaboration of Loudness and Make -Up members and they made a fantastic pop/jazzrock/fusion album in 1983 named "Human Transport".

Very obscure, it was never released officially as a CD and I hope they will release it some day.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2009 at 07:40
Originally posted by leonard leonard wrote:

Ever heard of the group Mt-Fuji ?

It was a collaboration of Loudness and Make -Up members and they made a fantastic pop/jazzrock/fusion album in 1983 named "Human Transport".

Very obscure, it was never released officially as a CD and I hope they will release it some day.
Forgive me I've never heard...indeed the album was released as a LP, not a CD.

Exactly the album seems to be very wonderful, with this famous and talented players. Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 52>