Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Are male vocalists more popular than female inPROG
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAre male vocalists more popular than female inPROG

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are male vocalists more popular than female inPROG
    Posted: September 23 2009 at 18:21
Hi everybody, i have a big problem...
I just wondered why all of my favourite vocalists are male.. then i was confused because i suddenly could not think of any band i really love with a female vocalist. is this a prog-related phenomenon or why are there so few female singers in this genre? (ok i have to admit i don´t know too much different prog bands by now). There are some beautiful female voices (i think of tarja turunen the ex-nightwish singer or the within temptation vocalist) but they´r all doing this melodic metal stuff wich i don´t like that much because of the lack of prog ;)

Please don´t misunderstand me, i´m in no way misogynic or whatever.. i am just wondering...

if i ask around in my family or my friends they all tell me that they do like male voices more than female.

How about you? do you feel the same, or not? in fact i would be glad someone disagreed..
i appreciate if someone can name me some nice prog acts with female vocalists to prove me wrong Smile

greets
It's just a ride... <3
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 18:30
I do love female voices (I am a woman myself), but generally steer clear of those stereotyped, ethereal sopranos that seem to be all the rage nowadays. With some notable exceptions (Kate Bush being the most prominent), my favourite women singers tend to have deeper, gutsier vocals - think Grace Slick in her prime, or Dead Can Dance's Lisa Gerrard. However, as I said before, the current trend seems to be quite different, and I'm sure other forum members will be more helpful than I have been. 
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 18:38
I love many female singers like Annie Haslam who have such beauty in their voice that males generally do not have. However, with many prog bands I do prefer male vocals.

-Jeff

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 18:43
I like both female and male vocalists.  Commonly, I prefer the more operatic singers (Topi Lehtippu as a male vocalist and females such as Pauline Vaillancourt (of Dionne Bregent), the singers with Eskaton, Stella Vander, Caroline Prieto etc. etc,  I like many folk ones such as Barbara Gaskin  (strangely, I don't like Haslam from Renaissance much -- too nasally or something).

Maybe my favourite doesn't have a really  pretty voice: Dagmar Krause.  Hey, I also love Robert Wyatt.  She's great, and one of my absolute favourites.

Another I really like is with Koenjihyakkei - Yamamoto Kyoko (another operatic one).  If you don't know Koenjihyakkei yet, it's worth checking out.

There are so any female vocalists I really like, and if I searched I'd find some decent lists I've come up with in the past (quite a few of my faves come from Japan).
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Kim? View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 19:28
The majority of the non-instrumental bands I like have male vocals, I think, but that's just because there are many more bands with male vocals than female vocals, it's not because I enjoy male vocals specifically more than female. As long as the vocals move me in some way, I'm happy. As for bands with female vocals: 
maudlin of the Well has some beatiful female vocals on a few tracks on Bath and Leaving Your Body Map. Also, you could try White Willow, Thinking Plague, Paatos, Mellow Candle. They all have nice vocals which are interesting at the same time. 
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 19:39
Susie Bogdanowicz  Heart

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 19:39
Ann Wilson never ceases to blow my mind.  Heart made some proggy sounding albums in the 70s (Dreamboat Annie and Little Queen) but even on the later lame stuff, she still sounds great. 

Kate Bush, Happy Rhodes, the woman from Epica (sorry, slips my mind), Donella del Monaco, just to name a few.

Lots of great female singers!

Tsevir Leirbag View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 20:27
I'm SURE they're more popular, but some female vocalists have wonderful voices.
- Kate Bush
- Annie Haslam
- Grace Slick

I know they've been named already...

- Janis Joplin
Les mains, les pieds balancés
Sur tant de mers, tant de planchers,
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard
NecronCommander View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 20:36
Unfortunately, there are very few successful rock bands with female singers.  This isn't a phenomenon to progressive rock alone.  Being a metal fan, I like the aggression and audacity that male vocalists have, and many people including myself generally prefer that over female vocals (although that hasn't stopped bands like Lacuna Coil from being successful)
I do believe that female vocals can often be more beautiful or emotional than male voices, though.  If you're looking for some progressive rock examples, some of my favorites with female vocalists would be Giant Squid and Grayceon.  It adds a whole different dimension to their music.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 22:08
As far as I know, most progressive bands have male vocalists. And as far as I'm concerned, that's a shame. As far as Metal is concerned, for what I know, there are far more Metal bands with female lead vocalists, and that suits the music well.
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 00:39
I dig death metal stuff a fair bit (prog or non prog death, doesn't matter).
I do like Arch Enemy but compare it side by side next to Opeth and Between the Buried and Me for example, and her vocals almost sound like metalcore screams in comparison, because they just lack this depth of tone that a lot of male death growlers like Tommy (from BTBAM) and Mikael are capable of. So understandably you can see why female death growls aren't that popular.
I can't really be bothered commenting on other styles of music at the moment because all I can hear in my head is death metal right now from having listened to way too much of it lately : P

Edited by Petrovsk Mizinski - September 24 2009 at 00:41
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 01:12

Many of my favorite vocalists are women:

Maddy Prior
Annie Haslam
Ann Wilson
Jon Anderson

In all honesty, it depends on the vocalist and not gender.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 02:13
Here are some of my favorite prog albums with (clean) female vocals:

theBox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 06:01
I find female vocals irritating and embarrasing (with the POSSIBLE exception of Annie Haslam...), ESPECIALLY those faux-operatic from bands like nightwish, epica, madder mortem  etc. I know this is subjective and a lot of people like them...it's just me I guess....

...come to think of it, the ONLY female vocals I EVER really liked are those of Loreena McKennitt.
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 07:23
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

Here are some of my favorite prog albums with (clean) female vocals:

Dude, no maudlin of the Well?
All my respect I have ever for you is gone, totally, utterly gone : (
The Runaway View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 08:06

They are, but hearing females in prog once in a while cheers up my mood. I prefer it when it's a male vocalist but that female touch some times is just great.

Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.
Mind_Drive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 08:26
Thank you for your answers! i will check out some of the bands you mentioned Smile because i felt that there has to be some diversion frome the male dominated music i listen to ;)

greets
It's just a ride... <3
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 08:26
I don't like female vocals in prog. The only female vocalist I do like is Ella Fitzgerald, but that's Jazz.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 08:33
Modern Magma Smile
TheCaptain View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 08:41
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Susie Bogdanowicz  Heart

One more for Susie of Glass Hammer here.

Then there is Koenjihyakki and I also like the two female parts in  Peter Hammill's "The Fall of the House of Usher."
The only other band I can think of with female vocals is modern Kaipa which I don't like too much. On a whole I like female vocals and wish there were more of them in prog.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>