FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Underrated

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Underrated
    Posted: October 25 2010 at 00:19
We all know who the top dogs are - or think we do. But what of the bands and artists that you think happen to not get the acclaim, or worse, a sl*gging that they do not deserve. Most don't, after; all most are musos expressing themselves and seeing if they can get by and succeed.

However one drummer I read about is often taken to task for his comparative inabilities. Yet he is famous and successful, and what's more, IMHO a terrific (when his confidence is in place) and fine drummer. I refer to Nick Mason. The guy whose finesse on Animals, whose percussion on Saucer - visible in the Pompeii movie and the drummer on that all time fantatic piece of drama called Time - whose drums powered one of the most significant acts in rock and progressive music and prog rock. Yet he is often lambasted - unfairly.

There may be others, underated, and fated to... ah an apt Wishbone Ash lyric intruding. Who in the sometime world needs mentioning?
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 00:22
Espers
Billy Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 03:12
I'm sorry but I find Mason to be a bore at times. Never has he ever just blew me away with his percussion abilities. In fact, Mason himself didn't view himself as a top drummer. He gets the job done, but that's it.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 03:16
Well I guess that's one or two reasons why he's under rated... Wink

I also hope to bring people whose work I may not be so familair with out of the woodwork. Any great long lost unknown albums...

... and me as poor as a church mouse and wanting to buy more. Gotta be crazy, gotta have a real need...
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 03:20
To promote discussion, please explain any nominations.Big smile
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 05:17
Mansun. Six is an overlooked classic.

And yeah, I have like every Pink Floyd album ever and they succeeded *despite* Mason. Sorry, but not seeing it.
Synchestra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 05:48
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

And yeah, I have like every Pink Floyd album ever and they succeeded *despite* Mason. Sorry, but not seeing it.
The same could be said for alot of the Waters' bass lines IMO
'Yeah, thats.. Whatever you're talking about for ya' - Zapp brannigan
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 05:57
Would flash bass have suited Pink Floyd music? IMHO Animals has alot of Waters and Mason's virtues. Dogs has alot of percussive flourishes, Pigs has Mason keeping to a block on some parts. Waters allows some bass to bubble in Sheep but descends the rhythm in subtle lines in Dogs. I think there's more to being a success on an instrument than wild displays.That's more obvious, some others are less obvious. They support the composition; no grandstanding. Quite something in prog rock! Especially considering the underlying ego problems in that band.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 07:24

Manfred Mann's Earth Band. I think they are underrate. They have some "HIT" songs and this made them underrated. Prog fans thought they are commercial but I think they have many great albums in 70's era. Albums like "The Roaring Silence", " The Good Earth" , "Solar Fire" and "Nightingales And Bombers". These 4 albums are great and Prog but many of prog fans ignor them.

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 08:21
White Willow. An excellent modern symphonic prog band that does more than just rehash the music of Yes and Genesis. Sacrament and Storm Season are two brilliant albums.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 08:32
In terms of underrating, I think Camel are underrated.
Their music, in particular the first four albums can compete with the most famous prog acts. The "Sinclair period" was not so good but it surely influenced the sound of a lot of bands.
They are the unique band from the 70s able to give us a masterpiece like Rajaz in the 21st century.

But they are always considered a "second line" respect to Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis, King Crimson and so on. 

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 08:47
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

In terms of underrating, I think Camel are underrated.
Their music, in particular the first four albums can compete with the most famous prog acts. The "Sinclair period" was not so good but it surely influenced the sound of a lot of bands.
They are the unique band from the 70s able to give us a masterpiece like Rajaz in the 21st century.
But they are always considered a "second line" respect to Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis, King Crimson and so on. 

Indeed you are right, Camel is way underrated, and Andy Latimer is also a fantastic guitarist, whose melodic approach is not well appreciated by many prog fans who are more into the metal influence.

I would also mention Martin Barre of Jethro Tull, who, according to Ian Anderson, is essential to the band, but hardly considered a top of the list guitarist. 
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 09:05
The Red Masque. They are one of the most original bands out there with a great female vocalist (Lynnette Shelley; she is a member of ProgArchives, by the way). Can sound sweet, aggressive, chaotic and are interesting all the time. But does anyone ever mention them, except Jean and I? No. We arfe great fans; they are in our opinion the best modern band.
Here is a link to their MySpace page; you can listen to a lot of their songs there.
http://www.myspace.com/myredmasque

Recommendations: Listen to their fourteen-minute epic "Passage". Also "The Spider Is the Web".

Edited by BaldFriede - October 25 2010 at 20:23

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Lozlan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 11:52
Nektar.  All I ever hear about Nektar are close, but no cigar narratives...a band that was highly innovative, but whose innovation perpetually trailed behind more 'progressive' and successful acts.  However, I put on Tab, or Remember the Future, or their recent 2000's albums, and I'm just blown away.  This is a band that, in my humble opinion, totally deserves to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the great, renowned artists of prog.  Just give Recycled a listen, and try not to be bodily transported.  I dare you.
Certified Obscure Prog Fart.

The Loose Palace of Exile - My first novel, The Mask of Tamrel, now available on Amazon and Kindle
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 11:56
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Espers

...because nobody f**kin listens to them
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 11:58

Espers

...because nobody f**kin listens to them

Not to mention they are awesome. Thumbs Up
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 12:56
Originally posted by Lozlan Lozlan wrote:

Nektar.  All I ever hear about Nektar are close, but no cigar narratives...a band that was highly innovative, but whose innovation perpetually trailed behind more 'progressive' and successful acts.  However, I put on Tab, or Remember the Future, or their recent 2000's albums, and I'm just blown away.  This is a band that, in my humble opinion, totally deserves to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the great, renowned artists of prog.  Just give Recycled a listen, and try not to be bodily transported.  I dare you.
Sorry, I like only the debut. The rest doesn't make anything special to me, but of course it's just my opinion.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 14:03

Sorry, I like only the debut. The rest doesn't make anything special to me, but of course it's just my opinion.

I like them a lot; their best album is "Recycled".

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 14:17
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I'll give it a try.
Jazzywoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 16:08

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I'll give it a try.
Yes you should, and as the others have been saying, "Recycled" is not only a great Nektar record, its a great prog record.  I also put Tab and Remember in high on the prog listings.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>