Prog Rock Cover Songs You Like

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2023 at 04:02
If you like California Guitar Trio and Mahavishnu Orchestra, this is one of my favorites, featuring Chicagoland's fret burner Fareed Haque!  MO's "Dance of Maya."  Fareed turns the after-burners on about 2:38! 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2023 at 09:13
I'm sure it's been mentioned, but 'America' by Yes covering Simon and Garfunkel
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2023 at 06:23
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

Manfred Mann's Earth Band deserves an entire post just to themselves. Between 1976-1986, they covered:

Hi,

MM always said he liked Bob Dylan, and something changed by the time that he started using others, than Bob Dylan, starting with Bruce Springsteen, and then Mike Heron. 

Just about every one of his redo's of Bob's songs, are actually very nice and give you a new perception of Bob's lyrics, something that we ignore when he sings them! I think his voice, and sometimes attitude within it, is too cynical or not with it, for us to enjoy it. But, it is his song, and he has a right to do it in any way he wishes.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2023 at 20:46
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Glass Hammer - It's All too Much (The Beatles)

Hindu band Monsoon (Sheila Chandra early) also did Beatles ... Tomorrow Never Knows

Clap yeah they were incredible and in later years Sheila starred at the WOMAD festival in my neck of the woods. Sadly she is no longer able to sing (dry vocal syndrome)
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2023 at 20:37
My friend Denny and I play a killer version of "Red" by King Crimson!  That's Dennis on Rickenbacker bass, and I'm playing Charvel Model 6 guitar!  

Edited by cstack3 - August 25 2023 at 20:40
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terramystic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2023 at 14:55
I like this cover of Wuthering Heights.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2023 at 12:52

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2023 at 12:48

Hindu band Monsoon (Sheila Chandra early) also did Beatles ... Tomorrow Never Knows

Heck, so did Steve Hillage!!!!

Edited by moshkito - August 26 2023 at 06:24
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2023 at 12:40
Hi,

Stackridge ... not only did a Beatles song, they wrote songs about the Beatles, and their other variation (The Korgis) had a John Lennon take ... Cold Tea!

I kinda thought it was more complimentary than just redoing the song, but their Beatles redo in Mr. Mick is far out! (... now I gotta check to make sure it's the right album!!!)

Edited by moshkito - August 25 2023 at 12:46
www.pedrosena.com
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2023 at 09:12

^ They also did a cracking version of the Paul Weller song Start on the album Masque - Songs and PLanets. The album has a tragically low rating on PA but still well worth checking out for that particular cover, its stunning.

thank you for your recommendation , I did not know , is now noted!

Edited by mellotronwave - August 25 2023 at 09:13
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2023 at 08:48
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2023 at 08:42
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

specially since LaBrie may technically be able to sing just about any song, but usually ends up lacking in the character singers like Freddy Mercury, Robert Plant, Jon Anderson, Dio, etc, have).

Vive la difference!

JLB did The Who, on their tour with Queensryche. And it was magnificent, and I'm not sure many singers could hit that scream as well as he did. It echoed here in Portland, but everyone was here to kiss DT's shoes, and the ignored Fates Warning opening, and then Queensryche, which got a slim down applause compared to DT. 

But DT has done many covers, in their earlier days. 

Comparing JLB to Freddy, RP and/or Dio is kinda strange for me ... I do not compare voices or singers, since their material is always different and the tone with which it is delivered is very different. My thoughts are, however, that JLB would likely do better if he learned the songs and the music WITH THE BAND instead of long distance and then a rehearsal or two ... I think that there is a small amount of chemistry that is missing, and you can see this on any stage of operas with famous singers, they come in the night before have one walk through rehearsal (not complete rehearsal), and then the next night they show off their voice. In the case of rock music, the innate feeling that we like, the raw power, and pure feeling, is often missing, and I sometimes feel that way about some of the stuff that JLB does for the band ... I would like to see them improve that area some more, but this might be EASIER for me to see as a DIRECTOR of theater and film, where the chemistry is the difference between a good show and a great show. Not just a loud guitar!
www.pedrosena.com
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2023 at 00:44
Here's an 10 minute extract from Balanescu Quartet's five excellent Kraftwerk covers* that open their 1992-album Possessed:

*01 Robots, 02 Model, 03 Autobahn, 04 Computer Love, 05 Pocket Calculator
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2023 at 19:48
^ They also did a cracking version of the Paul Weller song Start on the album Masque - Songs and PLanets. The album has a tragically low rating on PA but still well worth checking out for that particular cover, its stunning.
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2023 at 17:51
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

Manfred Mann's Earth Band deserves an entire post just to themselves. Between 1976-1986, they covered:

1) Bruce Springsteen ("Blinded by the Light", "Spirit in the Night", and "For You")
2) Bob Dylan ("Quinn the Eskimo/The Mighty Quinn" and "You Angel You")
3) The Brains ("Heart on the Street")
4) Al Stewart ("Eyes of Nostradamus")
5) The Police ("Demolition Man")
6) Bob Marley ("Redemption Song")
7) The Jam ("Going Underground")
8) Joni Mitchell ("Banquet")
9) The Beatles ("Hey Bulldog")
10) Eddie and the Hot Rods ("Do Anything You Wanna Do").

indeed

Some more Dylan' s songs covered by MMEB some more emblematic
Father of day father of night from Solar Fire 1973
It's all over now Baby Blue From Glorified magnified 1972
Please Mr Henry ( MMEB first)
Get you rocks off from Messin'

Borrowed from :

Gary Wright (solo 1971) : Good Earth ( same melodies, much shorter)

link :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4XId1OH3Wc

Randy Newman : Living without you

Joan Armatrading : Visionary mountains

Mardi Gras Day : Dr John Craux

from classic composer Holst ( The Planets) : Part of MMEB 's song Joybringer

and so on ...

i follow MMEB's career from Solar Fire ( 1973) to Chance (1981 ?).
Good memories of their gigs in Belgium

Edited by mellotronwave - August 24 2023 at 17:56
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2023 at 13:11

1) Bruce Springsteen ("Blinded by the Light", "Spirit in the Night", and "For You")
2) Bob Dylan ("Quinn the Eskimo/The Mighty Quinn" and "You Angel You")
3) The Brains ("Heart on the Street")
4) Al Stewart ("Eyes of Nostradamus")
5) The Police ("Demolition Man")
6) Bob Marley ("Redemption Song")
7) The Jam ("Going Underground")
8) Joni Mitchell ("Banquet")
9) The Beatles ("Hey Bulldog")
10) Eddie and the Hot Rods ("Do Anything You Wanna Do").
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2023 at 09:56
Glass Hammer - Hold Your Head Up (Argent)
Chicago - I'm A Man (Stevie Winwood) 
Greenslade - Theme For An Imaginery Western ( Jack Bruce)
Morse, Portnoy and George - Crazy Horses (The Osmonds)
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2023 at 09:01
Zappa - Whipping Post (Allman Brothers)
Zappa - Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin)
Allan Holdsworth - Norwegian Wood (The Beatles)
801 - Tomorrow Never Knows (The Beatles)
Dream Theater - Odyssey (Dixie Dregs)
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2023 at 08:21
Love most of Marissa Nadlers covers really, but this is the only "prog-relevant" one she got (well and No Surprises by Radiohead... sort of):

And I have a soft spot for this trance/house version of I Talk to the Wind

Elephant9 "covering" Joe Zawindul:

Edited by Saperlipopette! - August 24 2023 at 10:18
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 18:59
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I always loved the cover tunes Yes did on their early albums, including the Beatles song "Every Little Thing" (with some amazing guitar work by Peter Banks).  Yes did a lot of covers to fill up their shows in the early days from what I've read.  

Weird ... no mention of "America"? I think it was a Simon and Garfunkel song!

Thanks, good catch!  I was focused more upon the early Marquee Club Yes, when they were just getting going.  I've played in lots of bands, and we always have to do covers to fill in the time!! 

Here, this interview with Pete Banks is must reading! 

You know, the band called Ambrose Slade, they had big boots, they were all tough guys from Birmingham with the shaved heads, a very aggressive kind of image. We changed to a little different because we didn't actually play that kind of music. Particularly when I joined we started doing... we did classic covers of West Coast American band and we used to listen a lot to The Lemon Pipers and The Love and that kind of stuff. And Moby Grape. It was a really skinhead kind of thing and I refused to get my hair cut cause I didn't like the look, I had pretty long hair by then. I didn't perform with the image of the band. I think I was still wearing kind of mod suits, you know, high button jackets, very narrow trousers and I was probably still wearing velvets (laugh). And eventually they got rid of me on my 21st birthday.

Edited by cstack3 - September 03 2018 at 19:00
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>