Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Music for a Renaissance festival

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which band would you want to hear at a Renaissance Festival?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [8.51%]
6 [12.77%]
12 [25.53%]
12 [25.53%]
4 [8.51%]
1 [2.13%]
3 [6.38%]
1 [2.13%]
4 [8.51%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 16:43
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Other......
Fairport Convention
Steeleye Span
Trees
Circulus
etc..

Was going to say Fairport and Steeleye, certainly. They actually played ballads that would date to the 15th century at least. Add the Silly Sisters (Maddy Prior of Steeleye and June Tabor), who are actually singing 15th century songs in a pre-Tudor mode, like...

Edited by The Dark Elf - September 09 2019 at 16:47
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 14:22
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

There are many here that I don't know, but from what I do know, Blackmore's Night seems to be the ones that fit the best, and I do would love to see them live. Though, for that matter, I guess I would like to see Corvus Corax even more.
  Corvus Corax also plays the Faires from time to time.

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 14:13
There are many here that I don't know, but from what I do know, Blackmore's Night seems to be the ones that fit the best, and I do would love to see them live. Though, for that matter, I guess I would like to see Corvus Corax even more.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 13:32
Other......
Fairport Convention
Steeleye Span
Trees
Circulus
etc..

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 12:03
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Ok. Well, not all Jethro Tull would qualify but certainly some would. I'm just not that familiar with the Strawbs I guess. Of what I have heard none of it sounded particularly renaissancey to me but I take your word for it. 

hmm their stuff is readily available so there is that  Tongue

Dragonfly and From the Witchwood would be faire-appropriate

But I think my choice would be Amazing Blondel, and I voted accordingly, though I suppose they were going more for the Elizabethan sound.  It sounds from another time anyway, at least their first 4 albums, with the 5th album (Blondel) still holding some of that character
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 10:00
Gryphon would also make a fine band to consider for this....Should also have brought them to the fore when thinking of others that would be fun to see at a Faire.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 08:48
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I am a regular Gentle Giant detractor, but authentic sounding Medieval music is something they do very well, so I would go with them on that basis. The band I personally would enjoy the most would be Tull, but Gentle Giant could do more straight up historical stuff that would be in the spirit of a Ren Festival. The last time I went to one was last summer 2018. They had a fantastic band called Wolgemut. They played Medieval German pieces with percussion and fife. Very good. I bought two of their albums there and got all the band members to sign one.

Saw Wolgemut at the Maryland Festival the year I attended there, they were a LOT of fun.  Also, if you've not heard Faun, they are highly recommended, would make an excellent choice for any Faire.  But neither are prog.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 07:16
I would add Angelo Branduardi to the lot, even if quite similar to Blackmore's Night (but he started before).
Jansch is passed away, but Pentangle would be another great choice.

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 06:45
Blackmore's Night for starters!
Welcome to the middle of the film.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 22:45
I am a regular Gentle Giant detractor, but authentic sounding Medieval music is something they do very well, so I would go with them on that basis. The band I personally would enjoy the most would be Tull, but Gentle Giant could do more straight up historical stuff that would be in the spirit of a Ren Festival. The last time I went to one was last summer 2018. They had a fantastic band called Wolgemut. They played Medieval German pieces with percussion and fife. Very good. I bought two of their albums there and got all the band members to sign one.

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 13:43
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Hard choices here. I guess if I'm the director, I could choose more than one, so I would go for all of them if I could afford it.

Sorry, but the budget only allows for one band. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 12:22
Great answer, Manuel!  Most faires do have several stages....  :D
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 11:45
Hard choices here. I guess if I'm the director, I could choose more than one, so I would go for all of them if I could afford it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 11:23
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

I have not been to the newer Oregon RenFest, nor the Oregon Country Fair (not a Renaissance Festival), I've only lived here (2nd time) for a few years....although I do have friends who play(ed) the OCF, from Middle Eastern musicians to all kinds of other musical acts and know a lot of the New Vaudevillian people from my Santa Cruz days.  The faires across the country vary, depending on who owns/operates the faires and there are very different circuits east and west and all in between for the performers and merchants.  Some have stellar acts from all over the world (Maryland comes to mind) and some have less "period," entertainment than others...some are "hard," sites (with buildings that stay in place), some are "soft," sites, with tents that are pitched until the show is over and everyone moves on to the next one.  

Drum circles are at many of the shows, as are end of show "Pub Sings," kind of like a variety show of the various performers in one spot.  They all have their own character, some make up in spirit for what they lack in other ways...I have gone to faires as a "playtron," (one who dresses in garb, but is not employed by the faire), as a player (under the aegis of the creators of the whole schmugugie, Ron and Phyllis Patterson, who would inspect each person make sure you knew how to speak and were dressed appropriately) and also a merchant for a couple of years.  Just providing my personal faire experience in more detail here.  

I realize this may make me taken less seriously with Prog, however, it's a fun thing to do.  Smile

It's fine. I actually have only been to one or two RF's. Actually only one that I remember and that was in the late 80's with an old friend who I had a falling out with a long time ago. Lol. But even then(or at least at some point) I think I remember thinking that Gentle Giant's Octopus album would sound appropriate coming from a car speaker in the parking lot and that is the origin of me asking this  question. 

I didn't know they had drum circles at these events. I used to do a drum circle but haven't been to one in several years. There were fun. The ones I went to were at my old church.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 08 2019 at 11:24
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 11:16
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

You must have not gone to one of these like the one in Eugene in the Oregon Country Fair ... the best music there is?

The party with the drum circles, with Micky and on occasion some GD'rs on hand ... and half the audience is dancing around in the buff ... the party is neat and far out and lasts all night!

Of all the bands listed, the only one that might play for 3 or 4 hours or more, would be THE THIRD EAR BAND, who would improvise a lot ... but it still would not beat the huge drum circle ... AND everyone goes to it, not just  a handful of us!

Let's face it ... it is what "getting stoned" used to mean, and it was to be "enjoyed". With all these other bands, the excitement would die after they were done with their hour! Besides the fact that in Oregon, probably none of those would be liked, although one or two bands might do well ... but in general, none of them will ever beat the drum circles ... and that includes Phish and several other bands!

Ok, now I know who (probably) voted for the third ear band. LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 09:35
I have not been to the newer Oregon RenFest, nor the Oregon Country Fair (not a Renaissance Festival), I've only lived here (2nd time) for a few years....although I do have friends who play(ed) the OCF, from Middle Eastern musicians to all kinds of other musical acts and know a lot of the New Vaudevillian people from my Santa Cruz days.  The faires across the country vary, depending on who owns/operates the faires and there are very different circuits east and west and all in between for the performers and merchants.  Some have stellar acts from all over the world (Maryland comes to mind) and some have less "period," entertainment than others...some are "hard," sites (with buildings that stay in place), some are "soft," sites, with tents that are pitched until the show is over and everyone moves on to the next one.  

Drum circles are at many of the shows, as are end of show "Pub Sings," kind of like a variety show of the various performers in one spot.  They all have their own character, some make up in spirit for what they lack in other ways...I have gone to faires as a "playtron," (one who dresses in garb, but is not employed by the faire), as a player (under the aegis of the creators of the whole schmugugie, Ron and Phyllis Patterson, who would inspect each person make sure you knew how to speak and were dressed appropriately) and also a merchant for a couple of years.  Just providing my personal faire experience in more detail here.  

I realize this may make me taken less seriously with Prog, however, it's a fun thing to do.  Smile

Edited by Snicolette - September 08 2019 at 09:41
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 08:57
Hi,

You must have not gone to one of these like the one in Eugene in the Oregon Country Fair ... the best music there is?

The party with the drum circles, with Micky and on occasion some GD'rs on hand ... and half the audience is dancing around in the buff ... the party is neat and far out and lasts all night!

Of all the bands listed, the only one that might play for 3 or 4 hours or more, would be THE THIRD EAR BAND, who would improvise a lot ... but it still would not beat the huge drum circle ... AND everyone goes to it, not just  a handful of us!

Let's face it ... it is what "getting stoned" used to mean, and it was to be "enjoyed". With all these other bands, the excitement would die after they were done with their hour! Besides the fact that in Oregon, probably none of those would be liked, although one or two bands might do well ... but in general, none of them will ever beat the drum circles ... and that includes Phish and several other bands!

Edited by moshkito - September 08 2019 at 08:57
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 08:49
I agree with GG as well, and woke up this am thinking that I'd not mentioned Steeleye Span....I was thinking in lyrical terms as well as the music, certainly there were many folk songs of the day that were more of the story-telling variety, less of the complexity of the music...One could doubtless hear all kinds of music as there was so much crossing of cultures....however, keep going folks, I do enjoy this topic, obviously.  
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 07:17
GG---they were amazing live band and that music was not easy to play.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 01:21
I'm going to go for a band I have seen recently at a festival - Solstice. I thought they were excellent at the New Day festival last year. Strong and powerful.
Other choices I might consider would be Curved Air or Steelye Span. Steelye Span are a perfect festival band and have released some excellent stuff recently. I have a soft spot for the delightful Maddy Prior as well!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>