Topic ClosedModern Music that tried to be "Prog"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Rorro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2006 at 02:48

I fully agree with ivan_2068, the fact that modern prog has brougth into some new concepts, like the fantastic bands The Mars Volta, or God Speed you Black Emperor! or sigur ros, doesnt mean that this is better or worst. E.G. I made my first steps to prog music listening to yes, jethro tull and genesis, so when i first listened to the mars volta, i thought ,'what a noisy piece of BS. The only reason why i felt atracted to this band was it's level of complexity. So i started to listen this, i got used to it, and now i admit that IMHO De Loused On The Cromatotium is the most innovative album since Anglagard.

There were exelent bands on ninetees like the flower kings, glass hammer, liquid tension, anglagard, par lindh project, echolyn , spock's beard, and more. And I can't say that this bands are poorer than the 70's group's.

By the way, have you ever listened to the Wheatstone bridge Demo's ? ( Amazing).   

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 22:40

Holy God, what a load of BS, I believe I'm a purist, but this is too much.

There's great Prog since the late 60's amd all the 70's, of course the 80's were weak, but who can forget Anglagard and Par Lindh Project from the 90's or the whole bunch of new Prog bands like Trespass (Isr) Glass Hammer, Magenta, Echolyn, The Red Masque, etc.

It's true there was more Prog in the 70's, but you'll find great music in every decade if you search.

Iván

cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 22:18
Ok, but this kind of topic will appear from time to time. It is not meaningfull, off course. I'll still loving old and new progressive music. In fact, this kind of thread provides me the chance to practice some english. As for the rest, as I said, I'll keep my records, and I'll always be searching for new music...
¡Beware of the Bee!

FragileDT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 21:35
ATTENTION

No one listen to the lost chord. He has done this many times before. I
don't know how many times one can bring up the same topic. His last one
I remember was "Modern Prog is Rubbish." He is only trying to make the
newer people here him. If you look it up you will see that I think he
created 3 other topics like this (at least 2 that I remember vividly.)

I'm sick of people dismissing modern prog just because it sounds
"different." The title for Progressive rock was given to the genre because
that style of music was meant to "progress" what other bands and artists
have been doing. Now don't even begin to tell me that there aren't
modern bands that are "progressing" modern music. Don't begin to tell
me that you have many bands that sound exactly like the Mars Volta. It's
called progress. If you don't like it, don't listen to it, don't critisize it
because you can't handle (or don't want to accept) something different.

When people say things like this it's just as ignorant as someone
dismissing more intricate music for their standard pop tunes.
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless Compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity
Lord Qwerty View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 21:18

Lord Qwerty asks The Lost Chord:

What specific traits of 'classic' prog bands do you find lacking in today's prog bands?

Starette View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 18:55

All I have to say on this one is that System of a Down piss me off, Dream Theatre is just as bad and stop picking on Radiohead because they never 'tried' to be prog in the first place!

*nod nod*

50 tonne angel falls to the earth...
CryoftheCarrots View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 18:51
To all you modern prog bashers -crawl back in your timewarps and f**k off.Dweebs.Narrow minded hipocites.That is exactly the kind of mentality that I detest with commercial radio et al.If you people had your way there would be NO new bands.
Asyte2c00 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 18:30

Originally posted by cmsandi cmsandi wrote:

its true that alot of the catchier "prog" songs/bands these days may not sound as progressive as some of the earlier stuff but if you actually give them a chance (coheed&cambria) you will learn that they hate when they are labeled emo or punk...they are progressive in the fact that they are doing the same thing 99% of all earlier prog bands...but they PROGRESSED...thats whats great about prog...its is always evolving! bands like System of a Down are not prog but rather poli-rock and would rather talk to you about the politics in egypt rather then the construction of their music. If the music didnt progress from rush, genesis, elp, yes, and queensryche (many more) then it wouldnt be progressive! it may not sound as great but thats just an opinion...i dont like it anymore then alot of you but atleast its introducing more people into our genre...if they look and see these MTV prog bands influences and see rush maybe they will check into them and hince beign a whole new journey into prog rock...that kinda how i did it!

Coheed and Cambria sucks.  My friend listened to one of their albums and threw up on his discman afterwards.  no lie

Asyte2c00 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 18:28
Originally posted by Rust Rust wrote:

Leave The Lost Chord alone, all he is saying, that alot of you especially Cacuna misinterpreted, was that prog has not progressed as much as it did in the golden years, so it cannot be prog to the truest sense of the word.

He is not saying, like most of you thought he was, that the stuff of today is not prog, which it is, just not as prog as it should be.

I agree with Lost Chord, the genre isn't going in a great direction or doing a great deal of progressing, but theres always hope.

The entire dynamic of music will change wen a revolutionary intrument , of eqaul importance of the guitar, is invented. 

I would say music as a whole has progressed.

Jefferson Airplane to DJ Tiesto.

Its like night and day.  Music is progressing whether you realize it or not. 

Asyte2c00 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 18:24

Originally posted by Rashikal Rashikal wrote:

99% of the people here need to open their minds to new innovative music. spocks beard and flower kings are not prog at all.

http://www.ipecac.com/main.php

www.loadrecords.com

WHAT?

Are you being sarcastic?

They are definitely prog

Modern prog is the only enthralling genre of music out today. 

cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 15:48
Originally posted by Zweck Zweck wrote:

Originally posted by Gianthogweed Gianthogweed wrote:

I think why a lot of people have trouble getting into new prog is because it has merged with punk, at one point prog's mortal enemy.  Think of it, a lot of today's prog bands either were once considered punk bands, came from punk bands, or have some element of punk influence in their music.  How could this be?  How could prog and punk mix?  It's blasphemous!  Well, I guess they sort of had to team up because Rock, in general, was slowly losing ground to rap and r&b.  Also, both genres shared heavy metal as a common ground which explains why the most successful new prog bands are prog metal bands.  I find the mix to be very interesting.

So you are proposing that some Darwinian sh*t is going on in music, and that some genres grow symbiotic to fend off common enemies?

Yes and now. Music grows. "Old school" people usually refuse to this. Influence is one of the most important features of progressive music.

¡Beware of the Bee!

Zweck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 13:15

Originally posted by Gianthogweed Gianthogweed wrote:

I think why a lot of people have trouble getting into new prog is because it has merged with punk, at one point prog's mortal enemy.  Think of it, a lot of today's prog bands either were once considered punk bands, came from punk bands, or have some element of punk influence in their music.  How could this be?  How could prog and punk mix?  It's blasphemous!  Well, I guess they sort of had to team up because Rock, in general, was slowly losing ground to rap and r&b.  Also, both genres shared heavy metal as a common ground which explains why the most successful new prog bands are prog metal bands.  I find the mix to be very interesting.

So you are proposing that some Darwinian sh*t is going on in music, and that some genres grow symbiotic to fend off common enemies?

Space Dimentia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 12:58
erlenst I was just puting my view on here over what giantwarthog was saying  on another page of this thread how he beleives porg and punk are an unholy alliances and im just saying I think he is wrong.
Prog is music for the mind
Hear your Orphaned child!
Check out my bands myspace site: www.myspace.com/equinox17
sularetal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 12:55

This thread

I'm tired of a group of people in this site.... Why are they keep trying to compare two different things. In your everyday life do you compare shoes with hats??? Why do the same thing with what you call "modern" and "true" prog, or "progressive music" with "prog" or 70's bands with modern bands.... For example I like old school hard rock like Ac/Dc. Now there are bands like Spiritual Beggars, Monster Magnet etc. I love ac/dc and i cant listen to spiritual beggars but that only  happens beacause Ac/Dc is just exactly what I've been born to listen to..... Why compare Camel with Tool, The Mars Volta with Yes?????? WTF do they have in common???? Many people here would say "ELP own Radiohead", ok then i guess scaners own printers.... I mean mabye you like the music created on the 70's. There is such a huge amount of unknown bands who played that kind of stuff that an entire life is probably not enough to listen to all of them so why dont you stick to that era's music and leave modern aside. Music is moving on either you like it or not. Not saying its getting better because as i said you cant compare them. Come on guys..... We have so many polls like "best drummer", "best prog band", "ITCOCK VS RED" etc where we all post our opinions as the right answer not like an "opinion".

Rosescar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 12:51
Originally posted by Moatilliatta Moatilliatta wrote:

Another incredible feat. of Coheed's is that In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 syncs up with a Lord of the Rings movie. It boggles my mind how a band can make an album that is great on it's own, but at the same time fits a movie, especially at such a length as 70 minutes.

Doesn't Dark Side Of The Moon sync up with The Wizard Of Oz?

Originally posted by . . wrote:

What the hell are you talking about ?

He's saying that punk was a rebellious, non-conformist movement whereas now it is rather the opposite, and that prog is more punk in the essence of non-conformism and rebellion.

Edited by Rosescar
My music!

"THE AUDIENCE WERE generally drugged. (In Holland, always)." - Robert Fripp
Zweck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 11:59
Angry muhammedans....
erlenst View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 11:56
Originally posted by Space Dimentia Space Dimentia wrote:

Just touching on what giantworthog said...punk and por mixing is a heresy. Sorry but I don't think so Punk was between 76-79 and was there to destroy the music industry now Punk has become part of the very thing it was suppose to destroy. Prog on the other hand has always been there to make sure music progresses and continues to experiment without a safety net, nowadays prog rock is more punk than punk itself! 

What the hell are you talking about ?
Space Dimentia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 11:16
Just touching on what giantworthog said...punk and por mixing is a heresy. Sorry but I don't think so Punk was between 76-79 and was there to destroy the music industry now Punk has become part of the very thing it was suppose to destroy. Prog on the other hand has always been there to make sure music progresses and continues to experiment without a safety net, nowadays prog rock is more punk than punk itself! 
Prog is music for the mind
Hear your Orphaned child!
Check out my bands myspace site: www.myspace.com/equinox17
cmsandi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 11:08
its true that alot of the catchier "prog" songs/bands these days may not sound as progressive as some of the earlier stuff but if you actually give them a chance (coheed&cambria) you will learn that they hate when they are labeled emo or punk...they are progressive in the fact that they are doing the same thing 99% of all earlier prog bands...but they PROGRESSED...thats whats great about prog...its is always evolving! bands like System of a Down are not prog but rather poli-rock and would rather talk to you about the politics in egypt rather then the construction of their music. If the music didnt progress from rush, genesis, elp, yes, and queensryche (many more) then it wouldnt be progressive! it may not sound as great but thats just an opinion...i dont like it anymore then alot of you but atleast its introducing more people into our genre...if they look and see these MTV prog bands influences and see rush maybe they will check into them and hince beign a whole new journey into prog rock...that kinda how i did it!
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2006 at 11:03
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Ugggh...

Stop confusing "progressive" music with the term "prog." The former term should just be abolished with reguard to what most people actually consider prog music now. The Tangent, IQ, TFK and such are actual representations of modern-day prog music.

With the exception of Sigur Ros and possibly Godspeed..., I think these kinds of new bands (TMV for example) are, depending on how you look at it, either creative and challenging, or atonal nonsense.

In short, progressive music is not necessarily prog and prog is not necessarily progressive.

Blasphamy!

Ok then. Music is a form of Art. Art must always eveolve, in orther to manifest the sensitivity of it's own time. In other words, it must progress, or it'll be dead from the very start. ¿You see anyone trying to create baroque music today as if it were the newest thing? NO. ¿Why? because orchestral music has progressed also, or, moved on, if you will.

¡Beware of the Bee!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>