Message Reverse Sort Order
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 16:50
Originally posted by TBWART TBWART wrote:

Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Originally posted by lostrom lostrom wrote:

I rather have information than opinions in a review! Opinions are for those who wants to shine themselfs when writing, information is for those who puts the reader first!

How can we respond to art without involving opinion?Confused

"This painting is 6' by 8.' It was done with oils, on canvas. There is a preponderance of blue and red. The subject is a vase of mixed flowers. The artist was 42 when he painted it. He lived in Paris."

Rivetting!Pinch

Or: "The band has four members. They are named Peter, Paul, Steve and Bob, and they play guitars, bass, drums and keyboards, respectively. The CD has a photo of a red car on the cover. The usual time signature is 4/4."

Gripping, and so... informative! Dead

As soon as I tell you who they "sound like," or attempt to categorize the music, or even tell you if I like it, I am veering into the verboten opinion territory.Ermm

Art appeals (mainly) to the emotions, not the intellect, and each of us responds in our unique way, based upon all the factors that make one an individual.Stern Smile

That's MY opinion....Wink

Whoops -- sorry!Embarrassed

couldn't be more true

Excuse me, my dear overall knowing gentleman!!! Please read the rest of our debate!! We turned up in having the same opinion, so don't make a thing out of nothing!! Ok????

TBWART View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 16:10

I rather have information than opinions in a review! Opinions are for those who wants to shine themselfs when writing, information is for those who puts the reader first!

"This painting is 6' by 8.' It was done with oils, on canvas. There is a preponderance of blue and red. The subject is a vase of mixed flowers. The artist was 42 when he painted it. He lived in Paris."

Rivetting!Pinch

Or: "The band has four members. They are named Peter, Paul, Steve and Bob, and they play guitars, bass, drums and keyboards, respectively. The CD has a photo of a red car on the cover. The usual time signature is 4/4."

As soon as I tell you who they "sound like," or attempt to categorize the music, or even tell you if I like it, I am veering into the verboten opinion territory.Ermm

Art appeals (mainly) to the emotions, not the intellect, and each of us responds in our unique way, based upon all the factors that make one an individual.Stern Smile

couldn't be more true

''progression is trying to eliminate boundries''
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 16:07

Thanks for all your replies so far ... I think we can all agree that good reviews will always contain facts, opinions and emotions. And even if the review is 95% emotive, it can still be very entertaining, although it tells little about the item reviewed. Maybe the best advice is to try to be sure that you know sufficient similar artists before writing a review. And to give the album a few spins AND enough time to grow on you

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 06:13

There's no point in someone who doesn't listen to metal reviewing a metal album, unless (as in the case of Opeth), fans of the band are claiming that the band/album should appeal to people who don't normally listen to the genre.

If I read about a band then they have to have something about them that really stands out to persuade me to give them a listen. If a band claims to be innovative, persuades me to listen to them, and then I find it's not at all, then I'd write a poor review (someday..!). If, however, when reading about them I see nothing to persuade me to listen (and if I disliked metal, them being metal would quite possibly instantly dissuade me), then I'd just ignore them.

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 22:19

Ok -- I can go along with that. Thumbs UpThanks for explaining!Smile

I see what you mean, and I use exaggeration to (forcefully) make my point -- not to insult you.

Glad you didn't take it personally -- interesting subject!

No problems, at least u had me explaining correctly, which I sometimes not do

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 22:15

It's easy for me, when I want to have an idea about a band or album I don't know, I try read:

1. Reviews by people who love the album,relatively objective  reviews and some others from people who hates the album: Reading all, I make an idea about the great highlights only fans see, the good and high points an objective reviewer can see and the flaws that only a hater can see.
  2. Opinions and facts: I also need  to know the obvious influences and technical facts, but the negative or posituive impact that an album produces in the listener is also important for me.
  3. Emotions: That's one of the most important part of a review, if the music or painting or any form of art doesn't prodice emotions, then it's not art.

So reading as many reviews as possible and tryng to evaluate the position and knowledge of the reviewer will give me a relatively accurate idea of the album.

Iván

tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 22:02

3 of 24 people found the following review helpful:

'The sorcerer's secrets' is a bad,bad album, July 19, 2004
A Kid's Review
I have never liked harry potter books but this music I got 'the sorcerer's secrets' is REALLY horrible. It sounds like someone has put a gallon of manure on the disks so muffled is the sounds and also REALLY (...) OREFUL, YES SO BAD.

I hope the sorcerer will repent and shut up cuz his secrets are VERY BAD AND UGLY SOUNDS.

YUK!

This is fun, I wish i had the talent to write like this
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
kingofbizzare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 21:51
Personally, I find reviews by people who hate/know nothing about the genre/album/artist to be hilarious. I look on amazon.com at the lowest reviews every once in a while for a good laugh. My favorite one is the first one here.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 17:46

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Opinions can be interesting, too. I'd say that I don't want emotions in a review ... at least not if emotions are the basis/motive for writing the review. The motivation should always be to help to reader, to increase their knowledge about the item reviewed.

Yes, God forbid that we should respond to art with emotions! Let's have machines make it and rate it!

See "Art of the Third Reich...." Confused

Sorry -- got a trifle emotional there.Wink

Well. u got me all wrong, but u have your opinion and I mine...hahahahahha What I ment was that a review isn't a tool for the person who writes it, i's to give an image to the reader, if it's something to buy/like or not. Too many personal opinions and too little informative description simply ruins that for the reader, I think. Take it or leave it, That's MY opinion

Ok -- I can go along with that. Thumbs UpThanks for explaining!Smile

I see what you mean, and I use exaggeration to (forcefully) make my point -- not to insult you.

Glad you didn't take it personally -- interesting subject!

Edited by Peter
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 17:26

Rivetting!Pinch

Sorry, It was ment to be a respond to THIS post

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 17:24

Opinions can be interesting, too. I'd say that I don't want emotions in a review ... at least not if emotions are the basis/motive for writing the review. The motivation should always be to help to reader, to increase their knowledge about the item reviewed.

Yes, God forbid that we should respond to art with emotions! Let's have machines make it and rate it!

Well. u got me all wrong, but u have your opinion and I mine...hahahahahha What I ment was that a review isn't a tool for the person who writes it, i's to give an image to the reader, if it's something to buy/like or not. Too many personal opinions and too little informative description simply ruins that for the reader, I think. Take it or leave it, That's MY opinion

Deadwing12 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 17:16
Of course every (or most every) review will contain someone's opinions, whether you like them or not. It is, after all, what YOU think about the record...if someone has similiar tastes, then you've done your job. However, I agree with the difficulty of reviewing an album of a genre you dislike. It's like being a non-metal fan and buying the new Dream Theater album and saying "I told you so, see! it's loud, and fast, and techincal-ick! I hate it!"

There will always be a certain level of subjectiveness in any review, it happens, but I see no problem as long as the reviewer doesn't lash out at all that likes a certain type of music, or lash out at the band because they don't like the style. Bad reviews are just as important as good ones, but both can be rather distasteful. If you really LOVE Genesis and believe they can do no wrong and give We Can't Dance 5 stars and lash out at those for not going along with Genesis' ideals, that does nobody any good.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 15:05

He chortled in his joy.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 15:02

Rivetting!Pinch

Edited by Peter
He chortled in his joy.
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 12:33

[QUOTE=tuxon]

I think I'm knowledgable enough to write about bands from genres that i don't like. The fact that I don't like a genre implies that I know the genre good enough to make that assessment.

So am I!

My personal favorite negative review is this one, because it EXACTLY describes how this record sounds like! Cannot be more informative than that!

NEU! Neu! 2
Review by greenback @ 8:36:51 PM EST, 4/11/2004

PROG REVIEWER

0 stars  —  NEU! = NOISE

Imagine: you record a basic dull & marginal song with minimal guitars and drums, and then you record it at 78 RPM, then 16 RPM, and make an album with that!! Why the hype for that? I can't believe I am the only one to give it the lowest possible rating! Take a dull rhythmic LP of your collection, place it on your turntable, play it without the electrical motor traction: spin fast the vinyl with your finger while listening it! Repeat the same procedure with a VERY slow finger motion! This describes the best how this record sounds!

[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 11:21
Originally posted by tuxon tuxon wrote:

I think I'm knowledgable enough to write about bands from genres that i don't like. The fact that I don't like a genre implies that I know the genre good enough to make that assessment.

I don't doubt that you are capable of writing good reviews about genres which you don't like. Many others aren't ... for various reasons, only one of which is that they don't like the genre. I've read a review on Into The Electric Castle on amazon.de where a guy complained about the poor quality of the vocals ... I'd prefer any qualified yet biased review over plain incompetence  

Metropolis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 11:18
Thats fair enough, as long as the reviewer backs up his opinions and explains what it is he doesnt like about the album, but things like (as mentioned earlier) "I don't like prog-metal therefore this is rubbish" are not useful comments as it doesnt really say anything about the music other than it belongs to a particular genre, but you will already know that before reading the review as it is listed under the band name.
We Lost the Skyline............

tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 11:11

Not liking it, doesn't mean you don't know it.

You can't write reviews about albums you don't know, but if you know an album your sufficiently knowledgable to write a review about it.

Reviews aren't written for people who already have the album, they don't need a review. Reviews are written for people who don't have the album, or don't know the band. All information (positive and negative) can be helpfull in providing insight in the bands music.

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Metropolis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 11:09
I don't think he suggesting only fans reviewing albums, that would be silly.

I think what he's saying is that if, for example, you absolutely detest prog-metal as a genre, then you are not best suited to review prog metal albums, as you will dismiss all of them out of hand, whereas someone who can appreciate prog metal will be able to give a more subjective review of any given prog metal album, whether that review be good or bad.
We Lost the Skyline............

James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 10:56

Of course such posts can be informative and entertaining, but the negative effect on the rating is not ok ... maybe there should be an option "no rating" in addition to the five stars.

One might argue that the statistical effect overall (including the 'biased' ratings) is the only thing even approaching objectivity. If an album is only reviewed by gushing fans, it will appear to have more importance than it deserves.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>