Waves of Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 03:36
You've excluded all progressive metal.
90s prog revival with Anglagard, Spock's Beard, TFK, etc.
Post rock bands? No? 

FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 03:30
I've often seen people talk about periods or waves of prog. In my mind, there have been about five, the proto prog of the 60s, the 70s golden age, the neo-prog revival from about 1979-1987, the post-prog of the late 90s and 2000s (including Porcupine Tree, the Mars Volta, etc.) - which also sparked the rejuvenation of a few neo bands (eg, Pendragon with the Masquerade Overture and IQ with Subterranea - though, to be fair, Pendragon never really stopped), and lastly the new/modern prog wave we seem to be on the verge of (including Thank You Scientist, Steve Wilson, etc.) - while, at the same time, several of those neo bands that came back in the late 90s are experiencing a golden age, eg. The Road of Bones and Resistance by IQ and Love over Fear by Pendragon all released fairly recently (for prog, anyway)  are now widely considered masterpieces.
So, my point is, is my idea of prog history correct, or is it a load of rubbish?
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123