FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The beginning of prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 09:03
Wait!  I know... it started with Hildegard of Bingen !! lol
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 08:50
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I thought it started with a Bing Crosby album. Shocked

I read somewhere Sinatra made a concept album. Is it true? What's it called if yes? 

Yes, the album was called Watertown and the music was written by Four Seasons member Bob Gaudio. How's that for prog?

Edited by SteveG - October 06 2020 at 08:52
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 08:48
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Gene Kelly dipped his dancing toes into prog when he featured on ELO's Xanadu soundtrack album. Smile

Oh, God, what a train wreck of an album. Dead
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 08:45
Gene Kelly dipped his dancing toes into prog when he featured on ELO's Xanadu soundtrack album. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 08:43
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I read somewhere Sinatra made a concept album. Is it true? What's it called if yes? 
Now all I heard from Sinatra was a coupe of greatest hits compilation and an album I bought because it had I Love New York in June and I loved The Fisher King movie. LOL

Edited by Cristi - October 06 2020 at 08:44
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 08:42
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Miles is most certainly a key contributor to the evolution of certain elements of prog, no doubt! 

What I really, really appreciate about Miles Davis, is that guy was legit an artist in every sense of the word. He genuinely did not give a damn about what was currently popular, and would have insanely long improvised jam sets with top studio musicians (both live and otherwise) that are more or less progressive pieces in themselves. 

Hi,

I was thinking that he was not as important to certain elements of "prog" as he was to a lot of elements in a lot of music. Jazz, Rock, and other musics, were influenced by his ability to fly off on his own, and yet ... the musical piece stood up and came off really well ... and the most important part of it, was that he was known to do this LIVE ... something that experimentalists don't always do ... and the idea of improvisation, in those days was ... incredible, specially to the Rock folks ... the music that at the time was the least improvisational of all (still is!!!) because of its "format" and continued stylings ... that prevent players from branching out, and instead just do a solo to impress the girls on the first row!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 08:41
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^ That could stir up a whole new Bitches Brew if you suggest Miles Davis' Kind of Blue was the first prog album. Wink

From Jan 27, 2011:
"Kind of Blue was, and still is, for me the finest jazz album I've ever heard. Probably cuz I'm a melody guy, a romantic, and a laid back late night music listener. For me this is without question or hesitation a five star album. Whether or not it belongs in the ProgArchives database is another issue . . . ."
Wink
I'm a Jazz lover too, and I'm proud to say Miles Davis' Kind of Blue has a treasured place in my CD collection. Smile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 08:36

This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 08:32
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Friso said: "I'd say that early Frank Zappa and Beatles did a lot to change the mindset of the times. Vanilla Fudge was instrumental in the heavy prog department. The Nice started the organ rock thing. I would also point to Procol Harum's 'In Held Was I' for the starting point of the prog epic."

I'm fairly convinced that The Mothers of Invention's Freak Out!, some of the Beatles albums that felt seemless, experimental, eclectic, and conceptual (e.g. Sgt. Pepper's, Magical Mystery Tour, and Abbey Road), and The Moody Blues' Days of Future Passed kind of set the stage and mood for what happened next (Pink Floyd, Larry Coryell, "In Held 'twas I", "In a gadda da vida", Music in a Doll's House, Eric Burden & War, King Crimson, etc.)

But, as we all know here on PA, the real start to progressive rock was Miles Davis' Kind of Blue in 1959 (currently #28 on the PA Top 100 Prog Studio Albums of All-Time).

Around that time everyone experimented so it depends on what is considered as Prog.  If you consider 1966 Beatles as a start then Frank Zappa is equally fair.

Miles Davis is hard to swallow as growing up during that time he was considered very progressive but in Jazz.  Eric Burdon was thought of as Blues.  Well if you have Progressive Jazz and Progressive Blues then why not I guess, except Burdon's War time started in 1970 so he is not a first.  You are going to have to start throwing in bands like the Yardbirds.

Goes back to the Progressive Pop question...does that exist!  lol

Wasn't it Caravan that first came up with the word Progressive Rock, maybe we are all just trying to drop squares into a round hole.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 08:22

^ That could stir up a whole new Bitches Brew if you suggest Miles Davis' Kind of Blue was the first prog album. Wink

From Jan 27, 2011:
"Kind of Blue was, and still is, for me the finest jazz album I've ever heard. Probably cuz I'm a melody guy, a romantic, and a laid back late night music listener. For me this is without question or hesitation a five star album. Whether or not it belongs in the ProgArchives database is another issue . . . ."
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 08:21
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

But, as we all know here on PA, the real start to progressive rock was Miles Davis' Kind of Blue in 1959 (currently #28 on the PA Top 100 Prog Studio Albums of All-Time).

But it wasn't the start to progressive rock. It was just the first to make it into the Top 100. The first progressive rock album is actually Miles Davis' First Miles (1945). Tongue

LOL
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 08:19

But it wasn't the start to progressive rock. It was just the first to make it into the Top 100. The first progressive rock album is actually Miles Davis' First Miles (1945). Tongue

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 08:08

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 06 2020 at 08:09
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 07:41
Friso said: "I'd say that early Frank Zappa and Beatles did a lot to change the mindset of the times. Vanilla Fudge was instrumental in the heavy prog department. The Nice started the organ rock thing. I would also point to Procol Harum's 'In Held Was I' for the starting point of the prog epic."

I'm fairly convinced that The Mothers of Invention's Freak Out!, some of the Beatles albums that felt seemless, experimental, eclectic, and conceptual (e.g. Sgt. Pepper's, Magical Mystery Tour, and Abbey Road), and The Moody Blues' Days of Future Passed kind of set the stage and mood for what happened next (Pink Floyd, Larry Coryell, "In Held 'twas I", "In a gadda da vida", Music in a Doll's House, Eric Burden & War, King Crimson, etc.)

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 07:15

^ It's good to see someone else agrees with me that Days of Future Passed is The Moody Blues first album. Thumbs Up

I don't agree. 
Fact: MB did an R&B album in 1965. They can't erase that. Smile
I think Justin Hayward would rather airbrush that first Birmingham Beat album from The Moody Blues history, in just the same way as Patrick Moraz has been airbrushed out of the band's history. Tongue

it's the alum of a young band. They moved to make more complex music, but I don't think there's something they should be ashamed about with that R & B record. 

Genesis is the same with FGTR. The album was still re-released several times. LOL I have a double cd, with demos and alt-takes on cd 2. LOL 

FGTR is more interesting than MB's debut though. 

The airbrushing of facts is a disturbing thing... 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 07:08

^ It's good to see someone else agrees with me that Days of Future Passed is The Moody Blues first album. Thumbs Up

I don't agree. 
I think Justin Hayward would rather airbrush that first Birmingham Beat album from The Moody Blues history, in just the same way as Patrick Moraz has been airbrushed out of the band's history. Tongue
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 07:03

I don't agree. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 06:58
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 06:54

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Paulo V Paulo V wrote:

The Moodies and Procul were Pioneers, specially with the embodiment of full orchestral arrangements in this particular case some advantage to Procul,The Move a close step but it is KC that levels up to another layer.
The Beatles had glimpses but they were never close to prog imho.
Totally agree. Thumbs Up The Moody Blues first prog album "Days of Future Passed" arrived a full two years ahead of King Crimson's debut album in 1969. Smile
I thought DOFP was the Moodies' first album period.WinkLOL

The Moodies had a difficult relationship with Patrick Moraz, now the albums with him do not exist. LOL
The albums still exist but Patrick Moraz has been airbrushed (quite literally) from The Moody Blues history, after the "Music Trial of the Century" in 1991. Tongue

I was kidding. It's just funny how bands try to forget about music they created that they don't like anymore, or they are not proud about and so on. Like Moody Blues and Pantera, and I can name others... 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 06:49

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Paulo V Paulo V wrote:

The Moodies and Procul were Pioneers, specially with the embodiment of full orchestral arrangements in this particular case some advantage to Procul,The Move a close step but it is KC that levels up to another layer.
The Beatles had glimpses but they were never close to prog imho.
Totally agree. Thumbs Up The Moody Blues first prog album "Days of Future Passed" arrived a full two years ahead of King Crimson's debut album in 1969. Smile
I thought DOFP was the Moodies' first album period.WinkLOL

The Moodies had a difficult relationship with Patrick Moraz, now the albums with him do not exist. LOL
The albums still exist but Patrick Moraz has been airbrushed (quite literally) from The Moody Blues history, after the "Music Trial of the Century" in 1991. Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>