Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Renaissance Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 38>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 00:31
Oh dear, Bless Annie and Co. I just watched my DVD-R of the Renaissance Park West gig from 1983, with a very young Gavin Harrison drumming ! Really great performance, typically into the 80’s ‘requirements’ (appearance, track-list, medley od old material....). It really brought tears to my eyes, of joy that is. They still had it in them. Jon Camp must be as good on bass as Chris Squire. Correct me if I’m wrong.....
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2020 at 00:19
Annie appeared on a zoom chat hosted by Sean Tonar discussing Nearfest memories (Ren had appeared there in 2012). She said there that she had intended 2020 to be the year of winding down the band, capping it with a Brazil tour.  Of course, covid threw all that out of the window, which would explain why she's been a little disturbed and upset in the little videos she has been posting on FB.  
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2020 at 03:05
I'm not part of the "Renaissance fan core group" here, but I love them, and hadn't indeed heard of that Carol of Harvest one. Pretty good association in my opinion. I like it a lot, though it's not quite up there with Renaissance classics, the voice a bit thinner (though still good), the instrumentation a bit less balanced and elegant (though good in its own way, some raw power there), the composition a bit less intricate (though still good, and Renaissance wasn't always at a standard clearly higher than this). Thanks for posting!
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 21:41
Not Renaissance, but I was thinking about this song and thought how a Renaissance fan might like it, and might not have heard it.  

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 01:20
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I guess she is in Pennsylvania, which is still in a Covid hot-spot.
I can’t help but think of how ‘foxy’ she looked on the Time-Line cover 🤣.
Still, she has a lot of exciting Renaissance work on her plate and the current situation isn't helping her any.
I could still talk to her for hours, only problem is that I’d be staring at her, wide-eyed and with gaping mouth, but completely silent, as I’d be thinking about all the amazing songs she has sung (Ocean Gypsy, Ashes are Burning, Black Flame, Mother Russia.........so many)   I wish her well - as she said “ we’ll get through this “. Bless your heart and soul, Annie Haslam.

This is actually what happened to me in my Skype chat with her.  I had a long list of questions to ask but then I saw her on the screen and was paralysed by awe. But she knows how to chat up people and eventually our convo lasted an hour.
She’s a gem. What we hear on record from Roy Wood, he seems like a tripper, but he was expanding musical horizons.   This stuff is ‘normal’ to them. As humans., we are all very different, with differing ideals. I LOVE what Annie does, and i love what the band creates

Edited by Tom Ozric - May 02 2020 at 12:13
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 23:53

Still, she has a lot of exciting Renaissance work on her plate and the current situation isn't helping her any.
I could still talk to her for hours, only problem is that I’d be staring at her, wide-eyed and with gaping mouth, but completely silent, as I’d be thinking about all the amazing songs she has sung (Ocean Gypsy, Ashes are Burning, Black Flame, Mother Russia.........so many)   I wish her well - as she said “ we’ll get through this “. Bless your heart and soul, Annie Haslam.

This is actually what happened to me in my Skype chat with her.  I had a long list of questions to ask but then I saw her on the screen and was paralysed by awe. But she knows how to chat up people and eventually our convo lasted an hour.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 23:32

Edited by Tom Ozric - May 01 2020 at 23:36
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 22:34
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

well, Annie did post an update on the high def DVD work though it turns out to be more about how much the current situation is affecting her.

Yeah, watching that video compelled me to write to her to tell her not to worry and that there was no pressure in the current situation.  She looks really shaken by it, never seen her look so worried.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 21:44

She does seem worried with all of this crap going on. She still cute though !!

yes, there seems such a sincerity in it to me.  Such a compassionate soul
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 17:22
She does seem worried with all of this crap going on. She still cute though !!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 17:11
well, Annie did post an update on the high def DVD work though it turns out to be more about how much the current situation is affecting her.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 15:06
Don't be afraid of Novella and A Song for all Seasons either.  Both excellent.  ASFAS was incredibly bold, simultaneously embracing the orchestral backing and moving to a more streamlined sound, quite an achievement for 1978.  Ironically, while they were always bigger in US, ASFAS yielded their only hit single, "Northern Lights", which was ONLY a hit in the UK!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 07:08
^ Warning : Do not tear up whilst listening to Black Flame !!
If and when you make it to their 80’s albums, don’t shy away, I think they’re very good, too.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 06:06
Listening to Turn of the Cards now, amazing stuff. This band is brilliant, ive been sleeping on them!
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2020 at 16:52
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

yes I have a sense of how challenging that must be from having tried Northern Lights on karaoke.   Suffice to say you did far better than me!

But on to other relevant topics.  Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth did a neat video at a famous record store in NYC in which he dug up vinyl that was a big influence on him, and guess which album showed up?  It is between 2:50 and 4:10 or in this video

Thanks, Ken. Would love to hear you sing by the way.  

That Akerfeldt video got a bunch of people turned onto Renaissance. Clap  Hilarious anecdote there about a drunk Steven Wilson actually asking Roy Wood how was Annie in bed.  Wilson is lucky to have come back alive from that. LOL
Wilson must’ve been plastered. That’s not the question you ask ANYONE. That took some balls.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2020 at 16:49
Oh man, you’ll melt when you listen to Turn of the Cards.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2020 at 16:36
Check out Live at Carnegie Hall... that was my first album, covers the best songs from their best albums, and for me the versions are better. If you liked Ashes are Burning in the studio, check out that live version... though you might have to get used to the extended jamming in the middle (it goes into 24 min), and how they solved their lack of an electric guitar for the finale of the song (but oh man, is it impressive what they did).
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 07:41
Thumbs Up  You're in for a treat!
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 06:58
I listened to ashes are burning for the first time last night and holy sh*t, that album grabbed me from start to finish. I'm listening again this morning, this is a masterpiece! Gonna have to deep dive on this band, i've heard Scheherazade and that's also great.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 21:42

yes I have a sense of how challenging that must be from having tried Northern Lights on karaoke.   Suffice to say you did far better than me!

But on to other relevant topics.  Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth did a neat video at a famous record store in NYC in which he dug up vinyl that was a big influence on him, and guess which album showed up?  It is between 2:50 and 4:10 or in this video

Thanks, Ken. Would love to hear you sing by the way.  

That Akerfeldt video got a bunch of people turned onto Renaissance. Clap  Hilarious anecdote there about a drunk Steven Wilson actually asking Roy Wood how was Annie in bed.  Wilson is lucky to have come back alive from that. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 38>