The beginning of prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 10:29
No such thing as beginning IMO, but more of a transition in thinking how to create music using outside the pop box thinking.
For me it is The Moody Blues~Days Of Future Passed (1967), and this was not called progressive music...Just read the back of the album cover, it says .....

"the Moody Blues have at least done what many others have dreamed of and talked about: they have extended the range of pop music, and found the point where it becomes one with the world of the classics."
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 08:39
For me, prog proper started with ItCotCK by KC. All else was formative.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 05:55
Shoutout to the bands Touch and Family, not that I particularly love their music but they def have some early prog credentials

All starts with the Moodys for me though

Edited by dougmcauliffe - October 04 2020 at 06:01
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 05:49
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Miles Davis. Dude picked up his trumpet. Blew away. Prog was born Wink
This is the correct answer.
egillhardar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote egillhardar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 05:01
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I’d include Procol Harum, especially for Shine on Brightly in 1968, and Family.

Absolutely! "In Held 'Twas In I" with all it's different sections and arrangements is pure prog.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 04:06
It is like the evolution of species. There is no real beginning; it is a process. Only we human beings have to pin a name on something in this process.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 03:27
I'd say that early Frank Zappa and Beatles did a lot to change the mindset of the times. Vanilla Fudge was instrumental in the heavy prog department. The Nice started the organ rock thing. I would also point to Procol Harum's 'In Held Was I' for the starting point of the prog epic.

Before that Frank Sinatra invented both the 'album' and the concept album in the fifties. He even returned to making concept albums in '69 en '70. I would highly recommend listening to 'Watertown' and 'A Man Alone'.
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 03:16
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

It began with Bela Bartok - he's the grandfather of prog! Big smile
Oh yes, who could forget the Hungarian prog trio of Emersonik, Lak & Bartok. Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 04 2020 at 03:55
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 03:12
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Miles is most certainly a key contributor to the evolution of certain elements of prog, no doubt! 

What I really, really appreciate about Miles Davis, is that guy was legit an artist in every sense of the word. He genuinely did not give a damn about what was currently popular, and would have insanely long improvised jam sets with top studio musicians (both live and otherwise) that are more or less progressive pieces in themselves. 

His live early-mid 70's electric era is some of the best music ever captured IMHO, and it was all live!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 02:52
It began with Bela Bartok - he's the grandfather of prog! Big smile
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 02:36
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 23:45
I think that The Nice, The Moody Blues and also Procol Harum were the beginnings of Progressive music, even though they didn't call it that, then. I think that in  King Crimson, it was solidified and became what it was to become.  And I love Family, but a little later than this time period (Fearless and Bandstand)

Edited by Snicolette - October 03 2020 at 23:55
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 22:57
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Music from a doll's house is quirky and while it has some of the ingredients that prog bands would use just around the corner the music is very much "regular" songs with nothing really stretching out the way prog typically does. Family Entertainment came a little bit closer but I'm not sure they ever really evolved into a full blown prog band(imo of course). 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 20:55

Edited by Logan - October 03 2020 at 20:56
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote POTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 20:46
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

No, the Nice typically aren't thought of as the first but they probaby should be. Usually I hear people say Pink Floyd, The Beatles, King Crimson or even the Moody Blues before the Nice. Imo, the Nice were probably the only(or at least one of the few) band before KC who were doing stuff beyond just "proto prog" imo.

I think I would agree with this too.
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 20:40
There really isn't a moment in particular, it was a process. The early seeds I guess came from Zappa, Beatles, The Who, etc and then The Nice, Moody Blues and others took it one step further. King Crimson's debut is when it really came together.< ="text/" async="" ="//s3.amazonaws.com/js-init/1d61f2beb014840140.js">
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 20:34
Originally posted by egillhardar egillhardar wrote:

Firstly, I have to admit I have not read all the extensive writings here on this site but I wanted to ask if prog "began" when The Nice played in England and various countries across Europe and the U.S. from '67 to '69? I think I read somewhere that, at the time they really opened the eyes of many young musicians to the possibilities of merging classical music and rock which eventually spawned what we refer to as progressive rock today.

I am aware that the psychedelic music of the 60s had a lot of influence but I wanted to know if The Nice are generally thought of as the...well...fathers of prog.

What do you guys think? 

No, the Nice typically aren't thought of as the first but they probaby should be. Usually I hear people say Pink Floyd, The Beatles, King Crimson or even the Moody Blues before the Nice. Imo, the Nice were probably the only(or at least one of the few) band before KC who were doing stuff beyond just "proto prog" imo.
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 20:14
You could argue their case for maybe symphonic prog but that's about where it would stop.
egillhardar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote egillhardar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 19:27
Firstly, I have to admit I have not read all the extensive writings here on this site but I wanted to ask if prog "began" when The Nice played in England and various countries across Europe and the U.S. from '67 to '69? I think I read somewhere that, at the time they really opened the eyes of many young musicians to the possibilities of merging classical music and rock which eventually spawned what we refer to as progressive rock today.

I am aware that the psychedelic music of the 60s had a lot of influence but I wanted to know if The Nice are generally thought of as the...well...fathers of prog.

What do you guys think? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345