Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New member - looking for recommendations!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
AKDiamond View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AKDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2019 at 09:37
Hi all!

Been reading this forum for a while now, and really enjoying it. The polls, recommendations, and appreciation threads have helped me discover lots of new music. 

I first got into prog a couple years ago, I think first through a coworker talking about having In the Court of the Crimson King when it first came out, and then checking it out because of shared taste in other music (The Beatles, John Lennon, etc).

I'm looking for more music to love! It could be a lesser-known song by an artist I already like. Or an underrated album. Or a new artist altogether. Or maybe even an artist I thought I didn't like (that's always a great surprise). Anything is appreciated!

Here's a sense of my taste, starting with what I know and like from the big guns:

Yes - I first got into Roundabout, then the Yes Album (Perpetual Change and Starship Trooper were faves at some point). The day Close to the Edge became my favorite was a breakthrough in enjoying this kind of music. At some point The Revealing Science of God was my favorite. I don't listen to them a ton now - aren't hitting the sweet spot for some reason - but definitely appreciate them. Going for the One is probably my favorite album now, with the organ at the end of Awaken being a great moment. I also like The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Wakeman, Hold Out Your Hand by Squire, Pennants by Howe, Hell's Bells by Bruford, and some of Olias and other stuff by Jon.

Genesis - I first got into Selling England, with Firth of Fifth and Cinema Show being faves. Watcher of the Skies was also an early favorite. Then Seven Stones and Fountains of Salmacis. Can-Utility become a big favorite and I'd say I even prefer Foxtrot to Selling England now. However, I'm actually most into The Lamb now. Back in NYC, Carpet Crawlers, etc - a lot of good stuff to explore on that album and feels more mature. I'm definitely a Peter Gabriel guy, and love his first solo album. Also appreciate Don't Give Up with Kate Bush, and In Your Eyes from So. But that being said, I do like some Collins Genesis, like Dance on a Volcano and Home by the Sea. I just think Gabriel is the more interesting of the two.

This is going to get a lot longer than I initially thought, so I'm going to add posts on other bands afterwards, haha.

For now let me just throw out a couple of other random things to give you a better sense of my taste:
Strawbs - Hero and Heroine (so good)
PFM - Per Un Amico (so good)
KC - I'm more into Waiting Man than Court of the Crimson King these days (Belew is great).
Van der Graaf - Was really into Killer style, now more into Refugees style. Not super into them overall, but love some songs.
Jethro Tull - Was not into them at all for quite some time. First got into Thick, now I actually really like Benefit. Also Thick 2 is amazingly good for a modern album.
Alphataurus - La Mente Vola (those vocals)
Biglietto - Confessione (those vocals)
Caravan - I liked In the Land of Grey and Pink a lot for a bit, but now I really don't find it that interesting.
Camel - Also find a lot of their stuff dull, but not everything for sure. Stationary Traveller is a great track.
Zappa - Not a big fan honestly.
Gentle Giant - Gonna save details for another post, but they're amazing, love them.
Rush - Not a big fan honestly. I keep trying. Limelight is interesting.
Gryphon - Red Queen is a fun album for an occasional listen.
Happy the Man - I find it hard to get into them, but there are aspects I love.
The Moody Blues - I like some of their stuff a lot, from Days and such, but find them dull more often than not.
Procol Harum - More of a PH fan, with their first album and Salty Dog being great. Was super into Wreck of the Hesperus for a while.
Nektar - Again, hard to get into and I don't like a bunch of their stuff, but some aspects I love. King of Twilight is fun, The Dream Nebula Pt. 1 has such a cool feel.
That's enough for now, hey?

And yes, love the Beatles, John Lennon, etc. Joe Cocker and all that. And even earlier, pop, jazz, classical. I'm more picky about specific artists and their songs and such more than I am about genres.

But that being said, I don't like prog metal nor neo prog, or most modern music, sorry! I'm not into too heavy nor too polished.

Thanks in advance for reading this essay... ha... and appreciate any suggestions. Looking forward to discussing great music!

Ash
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678