Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New member - looking for recommendations!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Arnulf Floyd View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arnulf Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member - looking for recommendations!
    Posted: July 27 2019 at 02:29
I can recommend to listen to Marillion, Metallica(they were not prog per so but Master of Puppets LP has many elements I thinks as is a bit heavier with fast tempos) and Dream Theatre(prog metal)
Long Live Rock 'n' Roll
Sentient Ear View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sentient Ear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2019 at 11:10
Originally posted by AKDiamond AKDiamond wrote:

Originally posted by Sentient Ear Sentient Ear wrote:

I'll put in a word for Catapilla, particularly their self-titled album. It's adventurous and intense, with some jazzy sax and really unique female vocals that feel very much ahead of their time.  

Family - Music In a Doll's House is a 1968 classic well worth checking out. The melodies often carry over a positive 60s vibe but there's an edge to the music that sets it apart and adds an extra dimension or three. The vocals and the layering and alternating of instruments give it a very distinctive tone.

Quella Vecchia Locanda has some really beautiful melodies and exquisite instrumentation all without getting long-winded or overly dramatic.

I can't go without making a case for modern prog. Give Haken's The Mountain a try sometime - it has some passages that are rather reminiscent of Gentle Giant and there's a good range that keep things interesting, so even if you don't like one song you might still find something to enjoy along the way. It's not too heavy and not too polished, and has earned a prominent spot in the prog community since its release. 

Since you mention liking Gabriel, I'm curious, how do you feel about Up? If you enjoy it, that may a sign that you may find it worthwhile exploring modern music a bit more.
Catapilla - Great, I really like the vocals! And the funky sound. The extended jams I can take or leave, but apart from that it is very interesting. Good suggestion.

Family - I was expecting to enjoy this one more than I did, based on the description. I don't know, I didn't really like the vibe of it that much, or the vocal effects, though there are interesting aspects for sure.

Quella Vecchia Locanda - Super super interesting. I love the violin in this. In fact, I'd just say that I really like it overall. :) I would love to have this on record for those beautiful warm acoustic sounds.

Haken - I don't really like the affectations of many modern vocalists, and this is true here. Or the clipped/harsh nature of much modern drumming, also true here. Sorry, this one really doesn't do it for me.

Gabriel - Ah, don't really like the production of Up. My favorite solo Gabriel album is his first, which I just think is so strong. I've come to like a couple of tracks from So though - Rick Beato video on In Your Eyes actually got me started on that, and I also really like Don't Give Up (I like Kate Bush's earlier stuff too, so it is cool to hear them together).

Great suggestions, much appreciated, thanks!

So glad you liked Catapilla and Quella Vecchia Locanda! Thanks for giving Haken a chance anyway, and for your thoughts on Up.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2019 at 18:43
You may like iamthemorning.

dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2019 at 23:20

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Kansas - s/t debut and Song For America
I'm just gonna go ahead and quote this one more time because where has Song for America been all my life? I got goosebumps.

What a powerhouse of a song, if you haven't heard lamplight symphony off the same album, definetly check it out. Also don't give up on Camel and Wobbler (Atleast their new album) very good prog that takes time to grow.
AKDiamond View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AKDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2019 at 09:57
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Also, my apologies for veering off the original subject, no offense meant by myself (and others, I am pretty darned sure).  Now back to recommendations for this inquiring person.  Smile
No problem at all, interesting discussion!
AKDiamond View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2019 at 09:53
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Whoa, you all are great, thanks!! Will check these out and get back. 

By the way, welcome to PA! Clap
Thanks very much!
AKDiamond View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2019 at 10:47
Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

Hi, I haven't read the replies here so some of these have most likely already been said, but anyway..

If you like PFM then you'll most definitely like Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso.

Änglagård are insane to listen to if you like the odd, evil, jazzy, medieval prog sound (the Hybrid album would be a good starting place)

If you do (or are interested in) getting into jazz fusion prog (not modern) then consider:

Mahavishnu Orchestra
Return to Forever
Weather Report

The guys who started all these bands used to play with Miles Davis.

Also, Ekseption have an incredible sound. Classical/Prog/Jazz. Really catchy (especially the Trinity album)
I like Banco alright, but not nearly as much as PFM. Not really into Anglagard, and fusion doesn't do it for me most of the time, but I'm sure I should keep trying!

However! Ekseption was such a cool suggestion. Never heard of them, and really really like their style. Their takes on classical pieces are very much in my wheelhouse. 

Thanks very much!
AKDiamond View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2019 at 10:26
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Yeah, I read later on that you were not into newer stuff. There are some great ones there too. Just don't close your mind to not liking new stuff. However, there is something about the 70's that makes those classics... well... classics. The newer ones sound more like imitators, like they got the elements that make prog, and so they just incorporate them to make their music prog. Well then, perhaps Mike Oldfield?
Good suggestion, really liking Ommadawn! (Though I'm not so into Tubular Bells.)
AKDiamond View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2019 at 10:23
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

If you like 80s music, you might like Asia (Before Astra) and Saga (Worlds Apart). Or check out homebrewed prog (production not the greatest) from 2 guys in Aquacadia trying to recapture late 70s and early 80s sounds. Other bands that were prog or related to prog from back then were The Police, King Crimson when Adrian Belew was with them, Styx, Rush (Signals through Power Windows era), and Yes (the Trevor Rabin era like 90125). Rabin's solo album I Can't Look Away was also great. I like both Steve Howe and Trevor Rabin. Also, the Australian band Sky with John Williams on classical guitar was phenomenal. As was Kate Bush (The Hounds of Love). Just a few of my faves from that time. (I like Yaz and Gary Numan, too, but don't tell anyone here ... and Michael Hedges, too).
Actually, in general I don't love 80s music. Listening now, I'm lukewarm on Asia, The Police, Styx, Rush (in general), and cool on Saga. I don't mind 80s Yes, but I prefer 70s. And I actually really like Kate Bush, but more her first few albums. :)

An exception, though, is 80s King Crimson, which I think I even prefer to the original incarnations! Adrian Belew is awesome. I actually thought I only liked the Discipline album, but looking at it now I realize that some of my favorites (eg. Waiting Man) are on the other albums. Great!

The top suggestion of this post, though, I think is Sky! Wow, how cool. I had no idea this group with John Williams even existed.

Thanks very much!
AKDiamond View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2019 at 08:25
Originally posted by Foxprog Foxprog wrote:

Great that you liked at least a few of them :) yea I focused more on in the darker/moodier side on this one. You already had listened most of Genesis and Yes (Awaken is 10/10) so I couldn't suggest them haha. Have you checked out more King Crimson yet? I really love, the first album, Lizard, Larks and Red... 
Vdgg/PH - One of my favourite bands of all time. I use to hate them but now I can understand them :D A louse is not a home is an ultimate song from them indeed :) I could make a long list of my favourites by them but here are a few..  
- PH, Black Room/The tower (some "growling" tho :))
- PH, The lie (Bernini saint theresa), same album as Louse. One of the greates vocal performances on all time
- PH, Time Heals, I just like the groove of this one, next ones are VDGG
- House with no door
- Refugees
- Boat  of millions years
- Plague of the lighthouse keepers
- Man-erg
- Still-Life (incredible)
- Darkness 11/11

I could go forever :D 
Oh yeah, KC was probably the first prog band I checked out in any real depth. I have to say that I'm not huge on entire albums with them, but more on particular tracks: Wake of Poseidon, Lizard (didn't realize it was Jon Anderson vocals until very recently!), Starless (the track), Pictures of a City, Waiting Man. I can't get into Larks at all though.

I love House with No Door. You know, I'm just going to go ahead and add all of those to my library that aren't already there! :D

Thanks!!
AKDiamond View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 13:27
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Check out another USA one-shot, Mirthrandir. Their 1976 album is For You the Old Women.
This is just weird enough to be fantastic! Haha. Good suggestion, thanks.
AKDiamond View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2019 at 13:15
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Very fun, and an easy listen, if a bit derivative. Thanks, nice suggestion!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2019 at 23:43
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I like to think of what Shakespeare would say about that ... The Fool would probably say ... recommendations are for the fools. In Michel de Ghelderode's Escuriel, The Fool would say ... recommendations are a good time for me to spend in your bed with your queen!

And Mr. T would say:

True story....I was in Chicago's O'Hare Airport years ago....I looked over to my left, and discovered that I was standing right next to Mr. T!!  I briefly considered saying something and then thought better of it.  Impressive guy, do you think he prefers Yes to King Crimson?
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2019 at 11:39

I like to think of what Shakespeare would say about that ... The Fool would probably say ... recommendations are for the fools. In Michel de Ghelderode's Escuriel, The Fool would say ... recommendations are a good time for me to spend in your bed with your queen!

And Mr. T would say:

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2019 at 11:27

PH really is amazing. I know everybody is unique, but with some people you just say "wow, there'll never be another one like them." Somebody who has developed internally, as you suggest.

Even that "development" might not be the issue.

As with many writers, painters and famous musicians (before the rock age), many of them simply develop a comfort zone for their expression, and they start being able to respond to how they feel.

The hard part for you and I, since we tend to ignore the history of literature, painting and music, is the bunch of artists that produced an astonishing amount, and we don't know how and why ... but there it is ... you look at Cezanne, and if you try to make sense of it, you can't. You look at Roy Harper and his folk material, and there is no reason to even consider starting an idea of what he is about ... if you try to even discuss this with him, he'll probably give you the finger and go play somewhere else! And, of course, deservedly so!

This is why, it is hard for me to recommend something ... yes, I can make those, but when you listen to them side by side, your appreciation gets jarred badly, because there is such an incredible difference ... and its cultural shift on top of it is an issue that most rock folks here can not deal with and still think that a special instrument makes "progressive" which is the stupidest thing ever stated! The same guitar was used in Poland, Greece, Italy, Spain, France, England, USA, Portugal, Brazil, Japan ... but no .... we have to think that this and that "makes" progressive special ... I guess that so much classical music is not as important as the Stradivarius ... which you know is the ultimate bullcrap, since it would not even be important if it weren't the damn violin itself? 

That's when you know, it's not about the music at all ... and we're taking its life out and squeezing its soul because we can't feel it ... such a social attitude when it comes to preferences and such that it makes it really hard for me to discuss "favorites".

I review Foreign Film (no top tens!), and have over 500 of those reviews ... and by the time you get to 100, you are not going to say that Babette's Feast is inferior to All The Mornings of the World, or Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources ... the whole idea becomes so scary ... and it is soooooo American that folks can't even see how it has become an incredible machine for selling the stuff many corporations want you to buy so they can make money!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
AKDiamond View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2019 at 10:52

Yes, indeed.

My previous post is long, this one will be shorter!

Here is how I "found" PH/VdGG ... in 1970 .... by that time I was already going around the used bins on many record stores in Southern California, and in there you always found a lot of stuff ... some really bad, some really good, and some ... wtf is that?

I came across an album ... H to He that AM the only one ... and I looked at the cover and said ... jeezus ... what will people think of next. It made no sense, and the cover was weird, and the album just stood there, looking much better than Mad Dogs and English Men ... and Sgt. Pepper's 12 old copies on scratched vinyl.

I kept looking. Came across "Quatermass" ... wow that's a cover ... gotta have that one, regardless .... remember that in that time no one knew about these things and no one played them! So I have one album ... and then came across a funny cover of a guy smoking, taking a nap ... looked like he didn't give a darn, about something or other, or was just stoned. I like the attitude and picked it up ... Kevin Ayers ... and then I started leaving (only had $20 dollars for albums!), and the guy at the counter goes ... grab another one and you can have them for $20. So I got that "H to He" album, figuring that sometimes some of these albums end up right back here in this same bin!

When I put that on, and heard it, I was stunned.

Today, my collection has over 85% of all PH and VdGG and I have never looked back ... no one did poetry and expression better in rock music ... and finding it was a treat ... the kind that you really can't get here and find here ... because everyone has something to say ... and this is the strength of your internal ... search ... however you want to call it.

Develop that ... you'll never regret it!
PH really is amazing. I know everybody is unique, but with some people you just say "wow, there'll never be another one like them." Somebody who has developed internally, as you suggest.
AKDiamond View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2019 at 10:48
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

By the way, welcome to PA!  This is a great place to learn about prog music, we all have eclectic & varied tastes....looks like you fit right in! Clap
Thanks very much! Smile
AKDiamond View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2019 at 10:45
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

You could do worse than checking some of these out:

Ange - Au delà du délire (for a start)
Le Orme (Collage and their three next albums)
Campo Di Marte - st (as you mention that Biglietto-song)
Peter Hammill - Over  as a start since you mention Refugees. After the short opening track its all very beautiful and melanholic - or sad.
Ange - Quite interesting. Is it strange to say that I don't think French is a great language for singing in general? Haha. This singer is good though, and the title track is a powerful album ending.

Le Orme - Yeah, I actually have Collage in my library. Sguardo Verso Il Cielo is great, and the title track is fun too (love trumpets in prog)! I forgot that I liked a couple of tracks from Uomo di Pezza too (listening to and enjoying it now), so I should definitely check out these albums more properly. Do you have a favorite track or two?

Campo di Marte - I don't love some of the more straight ahead rock parts, but the acoustic parts are very pretty, and there are some good climactic moments. Overall, I like it!

Over - I really just need to listen to all of Hammill, don't I? So creative, and I love his style and voice (though I wish they wouldn't be double-tracked so much). I'm a sucker for the violins on Autumn. How fascinating is This Side of the Looking Glass too? Do you have a favorite Hammill track or two?

Really, really good suggestions, thank you!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2019 at 00:30

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

In general you will probably enjoy the Swedish prog bands more than a lot of the English prog . Anglagard is a no brainer and also the very recent All Traps On Earth - A Drop Of Light is a modern classic. Also check out Wobbler.

I'm done!
Everybody keeps trying to get me to appreciate Hybris, but I don't know... it seems like prog-by-numbers to me. Maybe that's not fair, but I'm not really into it. It has some cool sounds and lines though.

All Traps On Earth - Too dark for me, not my style. It reminds me of parts of King Crimson that I don't really like, which is probably super appealing to other listeners!

Wobbler - I just can't get into this newer stuff. Nope, sorry. It's like... on paper it seems like it should work, but on listening it just turns me off, if that makes sense.

The end of the list was always going to be trickier on my ears, haha, but you gave great suggestions! Thanks!

No problem and glad to have been of (some) help 
Smile
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2019 at 15:24
(... and Aquacadia)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>