Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Classic Progressive Rock Bands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Poll Question: Who's your all-time favourite classic Prog-Rock band?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.94%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.47%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [5.88%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.47%]
9 [13.24%]
3 [4.41%]
2 [2.94%]
4 [5.88%]
2 [2.94%]
13 [19.12%]
1 [1.47%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [7.35%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.47%]
5 [7.35%]
3 [4.41%]
0 [0.00%]
12 [17.65%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Classic Progressive Rock Bands
    Posted: October 28 2019 at 23:21
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^^ I like Jade Warrior too. I have their "Kites" and "Way of the Sun" albums on CD. ^^

Two very nice albums, especially Kites, both from their second ambient dreamscape era. They were a really rockin group much like Jethro Tull and Focus, starting with Jade Warrior s/t, Released, and Last Autumn's Dream. Released was my favorite from that era. They had very poor support from their label (Vertigo), and they operated after that largely as a two man group with only Tony Duhig and John Field remaining under another label (Island Records). The Island era began an entirely instrumental, exotic ambient tone. The first of those, Floating World, is my favorite. The others that followed - Waves, Kites, and Way of the Sun - are also really fabulous.

I'd like to have bought more Jade Warrior albums, but so far, "Kites" and "Way of the Sun" are the only two JW albums I've found in my local Nottingham record stores. Smile
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2019 at 19:33
Only on a progressive rock forum would King Crimson and Yes have more votes than Pink Floyd and Rush. ;)
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2019 at 19:20

^^ I like Jade Warrior too. I have their "Kites" and "Way of the Sun" albums on CD. ^^

Two very nice albums, especially Kites, both from their second ambient dreamscape era. They were a really rockin group much like Jethro Tull and Focus, starting with Jade Warrior s/t, Released, and Last Autumn's Dream. Released was my favorite from that era. They had very poor support from their label (Vertigo), and they operated after that largely as a two man group with only Tony Duhig and John Field remaining under another label (Island Records). The Island era began an entirely instrumental, exotic ambient tone. The first of those, Floating World, is my favorite. The others that followed - Waves, Kites, and Way of the Sun - are also really fabulous.

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2019 at 02:39
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2019 at 21:52
Normally the real answer would be Genesis, but I vote for them all the time. However, I got really excited because this is the first time I’ve seen Jade Warrior on a poll that I hadn’t myself started. So, my vote went to Jade Warrior. Mine’s the second one they got. I’m curious who else might have voted for them.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2019 at 17:17

By the way, I'm old enough to have lived through the hippy "Summer of Love" year of 1967. I wasn't going to San Francisco, but I went to Nottingham instead and wore some flowers in my hair. Wink

Ok..Then you just see what was with other eyes than I do, fair enough.
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2019 at 12:36
Originally posted by tamijo_II tamijo_II wrote:

[
Also glad that prog rock is alive - along with Hard Metal Hardcore....
To be honest, I wouldn't mind at all if there was no more Hard Metal Hardcore, but each to their own taste. Wink

By the way, I'm old enough to have lived through the hippy "Summer of Love" year of 1967. I wasn't going to San Francisco, but I went to Nottingham instead and wore some flowers in my hair. Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 25 2019 at 12:37
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2019 at 12:03

I'd say it is not that Punk destroyed Prog, there is and will always be a need in the press for bringing forward new stuff new trends etc, Punk was the new trend they picked up in mid-late 70's, mainly because is had the working class and it had the protest against what was before. It a time where the "Hippie" was becoming part of the establishment.    

The Punk movement would like to have destroyed  Prog-Rock but they failed miserably and the Prog-rockers are now back with a vengeance, bigger and stronger than ever before. Thumbs Up

I'm happy to be a hippy. Tongue

Also glad that prog rock is alive - along with Hard Metal Hardcore Alternative Indie and lots of other clones of Rock music, not to mention Jazz Classic etc. The only music that i woulden't mind died is the sh*t coming out from mainstream FM radio with extreme use of auto-tune and a computer manipulated "dead" sound (you know what i'm talking about) 

The early 70's was a golden age of music, no doubt, but the best period of prog was over long before most people was even aware that Punk existed (late 1976)
Crims was dead, Gabriel/Allen gone....Soft Machine well...and same goes for Mahavish. 
There was still some top prog band (Tull / Floyd / Yes) but the golden era was over.

At the same time we got Byrne/Heads - a very strong Bowie (most would say his best period) - Japan - Talk Talk - The The - U2 (at that point a brilliant band) and many others inspired by the new sounds comming after Punk. 

I don't know this for a fact but you sound like you was not there at the time, so you a looking back at a time you only know from TV and books, getting the impression that evil PUNK was all over the place and frighted the PROG movement or something like that - but reality was not like that. There was a lot of outside reasons, that things changed it was not a 1v1.     

Tamijo
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2019 at 11:42
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Where are all the Genesis and Floyd fans...this should be closer.....?

;)
I'm a Genesis and Pink Floyd fan, but I voted for Renaissance instead. Smile 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2019 at 11:19
Where are all the Genesis and Floyd fans...this should be closer.....?

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2019 at 10:54
Le Graaf
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2019 at 00:22

I'd say it is not that Punk destroyed Prog, there is and will always be a need in the press for bringing forward new stuff new trends etc, Punk was the new trend they picked up in mid-late 70's, mainly because is had the working class and it had the protest against what was before. It a time where the "Hippie" was becoming part of the establishment.    

The Punk movement would like to have destroyed  Prog-Rock but they failed miserably and the Prog-rockers are now back with a vengeance, bigger and stronger than ever before. Thumbs Up

I'm happy to be a hippy. Tongue
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2019 at 00:09

Soon punk became new-wave and a lot of brilliant new music came out, and many like Fripp Eno Gabriel Bowie made brilliant albums inspired by Punk/Wave, other turned more mainstream, like Genesis Yes, but would never blame anyone, lost of people love those albums too. There is no right or wrong in art, is it only a matter of taste.      
Tamijo
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2019 at 23:51
I like Johnny Rotten, The Sex Pistols, P.I.L., and as far as I'm concerned he had some great taste in music that included acts we have in PA (well, great taste according to my tastes, not to others, but then taste is subjective).

http://www.fodderstompf.com/ARCHIVES/REVIEWS%202/capital77.html

He was into Can, Peter Hammill solo, Tim Buckley, Third Ear Band, Captain Beefheart, and ones in related such as Bowie and Cale, and I know he liked Van der Graaf Generator and loved Kate Bush. The post-punk, experimental rock of P.I.L's Metal Box might even have some prog references, and though its "official" mission (or slogan) was to destroy rock, it's got a rock in opposition sort of appeal.

"I saw The Doors live, and Alice Cooper, Judas Priest, even Yes and Rick Wakeman... And Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Wishbone Ash, Free, Jimi Hendrix, Nico... I went to a lot of concerts. I didn’t care what kind (of music) they were, I liked to go to concerts" (Johnny Lydon in an interview here: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-sex-pistols-vet-john-lydon-talks-pil-music-more-2012oct25-story.html ).

Edited by Logan - October 25 2019 at 00:01
My 1960 to 2024 youtube playlist, one track per act and one track per year.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4Jq6bFhyET
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2019 at 23:20
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Don't know about keyboard bands always being less cool. How do you explain Pink Floyd? Keyboards were always a big part of their sound and they are perpetually cool.
It's cool to like Prog-Rock again now after the talentless Punk-rockers tried to do away with Prog-Rock in the late-1970's. Where are the Punks now? Selling Country Life butter to try and scrape a living. That's where Johnny Rotten is now anyway. Tongue

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2019 at 22:29
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Another vote for Yes. I know Yes has beat the other bands  in the past(including King Crimson)but apparently not this time. Oh well. They have always been my favorite band(with Rush a close second) if I had to choose. So there it is. 

I think part of it on this poll(I could be wrong) is Yes and Genesis splitting votes with each other. They seem to have a lot of the same fans on here. King Crimson does too obviously, but especially Yes and Genesis.

Good point. KC are seen as more 'cutting edge' so the cool dudes vote for them. The rest of us vote for bands that are actually enjoyable to listen to Tongue

There does seem to be a hipster element to people liking them. I think a lot more younger people are getting into them than Yes because of this fact. I have noticed that on facebook groups the one for King Crimson is growing fast and steadily while the one for Yes is losing "likes" every hour. I think because of KC's heavier sound they are closer to metal and the younger folks get into them through Tool and Porcupine Tree. Yes is seen as their weird uncle's favorite band from the old days so they avoid them for that reason. Before anyone accuses me of being hypocritical here I'm not dissing the band themselves. I like them otherwise I wouldn't have their album cover as my avatar and have one of their lyrics as my signature. I just think these days Yes gets less exposure from the "cool kids"(as was pointed out)and KC are seen as being more hip.

I was being very tongue in cheek of course but that is very interesting nevertheless. I'm sure that all the recent touring has helped to raise their exposure and they are still damn good. Yes (the official one ) unfortunately are a spent force although I enjoyed the live album that came from the Anderson, Wakeman ,Rabin version.

Also King Crimson and Fripp have influenced the likes of Pearl Jam and Nirvana so it doesn't get more 'cool' than that I suppose. Yes have influenced a whole bunch of ..ermm..  copy cat keyboard bands. Oh well.

I think also Rush are quite 'cool' or seen as so. Perhaps having too much of a keyboard based sound is an issue. Guitar based acts will always be more cool. That's the rules! 

I honestly never heard of King Crimson being an influence on Pearl Jam. For one thing I have never heard it in their music but I also never read that anywhere or heard anyone else say it. I'm not saying it's not possible just that I never heard it. I did hear that Nirvana were fans of King Crimson's "red" album but that's it. I wouldn't be surprised if Smashing Pumpkins were fans of King Crimson although I haven't actually heard that either. I do know Billy Corgan is a Rush fan though. Tongue 

Don't know about keyboard bands always being less cool. How do you explain Pink Floyd? Keyboards were always a big part of their sound and they are perpetually cool.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 24 2019 at 22:31
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2019 at 20:09
^ I actually like Magma. I was meditating to MDK every day for while(now I use Western Culture by Henry Cow). And VdGG I even like. The lead singer sounds very theatrical, sort of similar to Freddy Mercury in that way(though the band itself doesn't really sound like Queen). Can is good too lol, very rhythmic which I like. Now Gong I've had a hard time getting into so far. But I got past Henry Cow so I believe I can do this too.

I will be a cool person yet!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 23:16

Another vote for Yes. I know Yes has beat the other bands  in the past(including King Crimson)but apparently not this time. Oh well. They have always been my favorite band(with Rush a close second) if I had to choose. So there it is. 

I think part of it on this poll(I could be wrong) is Yes and Genesis splitting votes with each other. They seem to have a lot of the same fans on here. King Crimson does too obviously, but especially Yes and Genesis.

Good point. KC are seen as more 'cutting edge' so the cool dudes vote for them. The rest of us vote for bands that are actually enjoyable to listen to Tongue

Wait, I want to be one of the cool people.. that would be cool. So all I have to do is vote for King Crimson every time they come up in one of these pollls? Hmmm, alright I'll do it.

Indeed  , or saving that then VDGG , Can , Magma or some really obscure Zeuhl band Wink
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 23:13

There does seem to be a hipster element to people liking them. I think a lot more younger people are getting into them than Yes because of this fact. I have noticed that on facebook groups the one for King Crimson is growing fast and steadily while the one for Yes is losing "likes" every hour. I think because of KC's heavier sound they are closer to metal and the younger folks get into them through Tool and Porcupine Tree. Yes is seen as their weird uncle's favorite band from the old days so they avoid them for that reason. Before anyone accuses me of being hypocritical here I'm not dissing the band themselves. I like them otherwise I wouldn't have their album cover as my avatar and have one of their lyrics as my signature. I just think these days Yes gets less exposure from the "cool kids"(as was pointed out)and KC are seen as being more hip.

I was being very tongue in cheek of course but that is very interesting nevertheless. I'm sure that all the recent touring has helped to raise their exposure and they are still damn good. Yes (the official one ) unfortunately are a spent force although I enjoyed the live album that came from the Anderson, Wakeman ,Rabin version.

Also King Crimson and Fripp have influenced the likes of Pearl Jam and Nirvana so it doesn't get more 'cool' than that I suppose. Yes have influenced a whole bunch of ..ermm..  copy cat keyboard bands. Oh well.

I think also Rush are quite 'cool' or seen as so. Perhaps having too much of a keyboard based sound is an issue. Guitar based acts will always be more cool. That's the rules! 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 20:16

Wait, I want to be one of the cool people.. that would be cool. So all I have to do is vote for King Crimson every time they come up in one of these pollls? Hmmm, alright I'll do it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>