Steven Wilson The Future Bites First Single

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steven Wilson The Future Bites First Single
    Posted: April 24 2020 at 10:13
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

THE FUTURE BITES details available here

The first single dropped yesterday, named after one of SW's favourite movies:

Whatcha think? Loving it so far, but 5 mins would've been enough (the song doesn't really go anywhere past this mark, just repeats itself). The rest of the tracklist has shorter cuts though

Well shiver me timbers!
For the first time in quite a while I am genuinely looking forward to the new Steve Wilson album. Not that I overtly hate his most recent stuff, it’s actually pretty good, BUT I already own most of the PT catalogue plus a fair few of his solo albums...and yeah there comes a point where you simply gotta ask yourself whether you really do need more Wilson in the old collection.
Then again I can’t remember the last time I was this excited about his music. Personally I think this ‘change of direction’ in sound is very welcome...sure we’ve heard the shift towards art-pop on his previous blue man group effort ( ), but on here it seems to have blossomed into this interesting electronic venture. I still hear a musician having fun with what he’s doing...and that is damn rare when you’ve been doing this for over 30 years.
Kudos Steve

P.S. Nevermind the nay-sayers. You can of course just stroke them with the fur and continue to release ‘Raven revisited’ with mellotrons and the archetypical pork solo en masse...but how fun would that be...and who are you REALLY making music for in the end?
I thought so

David,
You continue to be my PA hero, great post about SWilson's new release....I like it, pre-ordered but seems the release date has been pushed now.

Cheers man!

9 Best Dolly parton young images | Dolly parton, Dolly parton ...

Thanks my friend
You’re not too shabby either. I always love to read about your love for The Beatles
Just kidding...and thank you for the Dolly pic. I needed that.

Too bad about the delay...then again I have quite a few albums coming my way plus a whole slew of stuff I am looking forward to for 2020. Chicano Batman’s newest is definitely one of those

The Beatles are God's gift to the entire universe, they created the musical note, just think without that we would not have ring tones!!
Well my concert schedule for 2020 is also dwindling to nothing.......

Bro u will forever be known as the 'Can(s)-man'........LOL

Edited by Catcher10 - April 24 2020 at 10:15
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 03:18

Whatcha think? Loving it so far, but 5 mins would've been enough (the song doesn't really go anywhere past this mark, just repeats itself). The rest of the tracklist has shorter cuts though

Well shiver me timbers!
For the first time in quite a while I am genuinely looking forward to the new Steve Wilson album. Not that I overtly hate his most recent stuff, it’s actually pretty good, BUT I already own most of the PT catalogue plus a fair few of his solo albums...and yeah there comes a point where you simply gotta ask yourself whether you really do need more Wilson in the old collection.
Then again I can’t remember the last time I was this excited about his music. Personally I think this ‘change of direction’ in sound is very welcome...sure we’ve heard the shift towards art-pop on his previous blue man group effort ( ), but on here it seems to have blossomed into this interesting electronic venture. I still hear a musician having fun with what he’s doing...and that is damn rare when you’ve been doing this for over 30 years.
Kudos Steve

P.S. Nevermind the nay-sayers. You can of course just stroke them with the fur and continue to release ‘Raven revisited’ with mellotrons and the archetypical pork solo en masse...but how fun would that be...and who are you REALLY making music for in the end?
I thought so

David,
You continue to be my PA hero, great post about SWilson's new release....I like it, pre-ordered but seems the release date has been pushed now.

Cheers man!

Thanks my friend
You’re not too shabby either. I always love to read about your love for The Beatles
Just kidding...and thank you for the Dolly pic. I needed that.

Too bad about the delay...then again I have quite a few albums coming my way plus a whole slew of stuff I am looking forward to for 2020. Chicano Batman’s newest is definitely one of those
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2020 at 00:19
The first four albums were all great for sure so I had this pre-ordered and was looking forward to it. So far this year I have a grand total of 2 new albums to listen to so it would have been welcome. BTW who dares say that prog should be 'fun'. Are you mad lol.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2020 at 18:59
I like it. But then I've liked everything he's done from The first PT to TTB. It might have something to due with him being close to my age. Kinda like a younger brother.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2020 at 13:47
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Breaking! According to SW on Instagram, the future bites has been delayed to January 2021. Mostly due to the fact he can’t shoot videos and there is an issue with production of the deluxe edition due to covid

Hi,

And I'm betting that he will be changing some things ... and end up with a completely different album ... I don't dislike this particular song, but the listing of the rest seemed strange ... all short cuts. Maybe he's trying to do something different, and not sure what to do with them yet. He might have that changed by January.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2020 at 12:52
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Breaking! According to SW on Instagram, the future bites has been delayed to January 2021. Mostly due to the fact he can’t shoot videos and there is an issue with production of the deluxe edition due to covid
Bummer. Appears the future is biting Steven.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2020 at 12:02

Well shiver me timbers!
Kudos Steve

I thought so

David,

Cheers man!

Edited by Catcher10 - April 22 2020 at 12:03
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2020 at 06:36
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 08:26

Well shiver me timbers!
Kudos Steve

I thought so

Edited by Guldbamsen - March 23 2020 at 08:31
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dorsalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dorsalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 11:19
Any links to all those albums you've made? You know, it being super easy and all Wink
"Es ist übrigens unmöglich, eine Meinung zu haben, ohne dass es unerfreuliche Überschneidungen gibt. Die Grünen sind für den deutschen Wald, die NPD ebenfalls."

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 08:07
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

It sounds like an old ABBA song.

Hi,

You have to say this in SW's style ... which is .... 

"I wanted a HEAVY Abba song!" ... and of course all it meant was that it sounded like a little metal crosses thrash somewhere in Mars, and LOUD, and then back to some "lyrics" ... really non-heavy thoughts, btw!

IT'S STILL A REALLY GOOD SONG! Got give him credit for it!

Edited by moshkito - March 23 2020 at 09:49
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 08:24
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

LOL

maybe Steve needs to re-listen to this song....

Edited by dr wu23 - March 19 2020 at 08:27
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2020 at 13:10
Hi,

Heard the song a couple more times, it has its addictive side, like some of the PT stuff and SW stuff, but I think I am coming to a conclusion that SW is not about "prog" of any kind ... it's all fancy pop music, and from the looks of the material listed in the rest of the album it is all short songs.

I think that SW is probably too  much into his ideas and politics, and what not, and is not clear on what he wants and one comment on the internet says something about people trying instruments for the next album to find music (something like that) and in the next special he talks about just buying things to try and satisfy his need! Just like the song, right?

I do not find any of his songs, any better than some of the last stuff that he did with PT ... which he has said is over. And his solo work usually has one or two things that are really nice ... and the rest? ... I don't want to say forget'able but I can't even tell you anything about the lyrics, for example ... 

As one old friend of ours here said, cynically I thought, but I think he meant well ... it's all pop music! And SW is not about anything else!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2020 at 11:12
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Dorsalia Dorsalia wrote:

How does Wilson have the time to record an album? I thought he was remixing the entire Monkees discography.

As you know in today's recording world, digital, software and email/cloud servers have made "making" an album too easy.
True. It's writing the music and lyrics that's time consuming.

By the way you guys talk I'm guessing you must have quite a bit of experience writing and recording music. You're clearly seasoned professionals.
And with this post, it's clear that you're not. LOL This is all rudimentary stuff that you can pick up from the internet.

Plus everything on the WWW is 100% true, or it would not allow it to be printed.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2020 at 07:24
Originally posted by Dorsalia Dorsalia wrote:

How does Wilson have the time to record an album? I thought he was remixing the entire Monkees discography.

As you know in today's recording world, digital, software and email/cloud servers have made "making" an album too easy.

By the way you guys talk I'm guessing you must have quite a bit of experience writing and recording music. You're clearly seasoned professionals.
And with this post, it's clear that you're not. LOL This is all rudimentary stuff that you can pick up from the internet.

Edited by SteveG - March 17 2020 at 07:31
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Dorsalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dorsalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2020 at 05:57

"Es ist übrigens unmöglich, eine Meinung zu haben, ohne dass es unerfreuliche Überschneidungen gibt. Die Grünen sind für den deutschen Wald, die NPD ebenfalls."

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2020 at 04:02

silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2020 at 15:58
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2020 at 13:00

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2020 at 11:24
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>