Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which band was the most successful?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Which band was the most successful?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
30 [44.12%]
6 [8.82%]
10 [14.71%]
13 [19.12%]
5 [7.35%]
4 [5.88%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which band was the most successful?
    Posted: February 27 2021 at 00:55
No doubt it was Floyd.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 23:32
Where's Tull?

Didn't JT influence Rush or is this article below "fake news"!?

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 06:00

Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Interestingly, those who have posted on this thread have generally agreed on KC and Yes, but, despite having the most votes, Pink Floyd has not been mentioned much in the discussion. Which implies most people who voted Pink Floyd (not necessarily you, King of Loss)  only glanced at the options then voted and left, rather than reading the OP thoroughly and then posting - if someone has posted, it probably means they've had a proper look at the OP. Perhaps that's biased of me because I always look at the OP thoroughly before posting, but it would seem the logical thing to do. No offence intended to Pink Floyd voters, I could be very wrong.

You would be wrong in my case, though I obviously can’t speak for any other who voted for Floyd.

While, without reading the OP, the answer is clearly Floyd, in my opinion the answer doesn’t change for me, when it comes to influence (ie what the OP asks, as opposed to what the poll migh otherwise imply).

KC is undoubtedly influential, and I can understand why they get the votes, but I don’t think they are anywhere near as influential as Floyd, Genesis or Rush. Krimson is more influential, only if you stay with prog spheres, in my opinion. Because of a more mainstream and commercial appeal, Floyd, Genesis and Rush have been influential both within and outside prog.

Without thinking about it too much, I would say the order of overall influence is along the order of Floyd > Rush > Genesis > Krimson > Yes > ELP (which, just in case you are thinking it, does not at all match my personal order of favourites).

geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 05:37
My heart wants me too vote for Yes But my brain says
Pink Floyd but below is my own ratings

Yes>Genesis>King Crimson>Floyd> ELP>Rush

Edited by geekfreak - February 26 2021 at 05:38
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 05:11
Rush
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 21:19
Gotta be ELP by the OP's criteria.
Much maligned but loved deeply by their fans, they were a force to be reckoned with. Innovators that were unmatched, and it was ELP all the music all the time.

But to quote Tyrell:
"The light that burns twice as
bright burns half as long.  And
you have burned so very, very
brightly"
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Lieutenant_Lan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lieutenant_Lan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 20:47
Pink Floyd, Duh.
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 05:03
Interestingly, those who have posted on this thread have generally agreed on KC and Yes, but, despite having the most votes, Pink Floyd has not been mentioned much in the discussion. Which implies most people who voted Pink Floyd (not necessarily you, King of Loss)  only glanced at the options then voted and left, rather than reading the OP thoroughly and then posting - if someone has posted, it probably means they've had a proper look at the OP. Perhaps that's biased of me because I always look at the OP thoroughly before posting, but it would seem the logical thing to do. No offence intended to Pink Floyd voters, I could be very wrong.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 04:46
Pink Floyd for sure.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 01:36
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

I think I've only heard KC in a public place 5 times

I guess I just meant the amount of people I've spoken to irl who now know of KC (well, ITCOTCK anyway) because of anime or Kanye. It's building up. 

Also weird hearing Starless at the beginning of the movie 'Mandy' as well.
I also reckon that Fripp is becoming meme-worthy in the realm of anime.

I can't really disagree with that. King Crimson is starting to get this big hipster following or something. Actually they have probably had it for a while now but it's hard to tell since I don't really hang out in record stores like I used to. At some point just by judging things online they seem to be popular among younger prog fans and probably younger fans in general. I would be willing to bet that if you went to a KC show these days there would be a lot more younger people(say under 35) there than at a Yes show. Last time I saw Yes(the ARW version) it was almost like going to an AARP convention. Unless you are talking about hardcore prog fans Yes just doesn't seem to have many younger fans(for whatever reason). Also, I've noticed that that the number of "likes" for KC's facebook page is growing rapidly while the one for Yes is declining(as in people are clicking unlike for the band Yes). I wouldn't be too surprised if at some point KC's over all popularity exceeds Yes since they seem to be on the way to doing that already(maybe it's already happened. Who knows.).

If I had to posit a guess:
KC's popularity has increased because their music is now on streaming services. It's certainly why I've been listening to their albums from the 80s onwards, whereas previously, I had not.

Yes's popularity is decreasing because the official "Yes" is barely Yes anymore. Sure, they've had their fair share of line-up changes, but having Jon Davison (who is ok but not amazing or anything) front a bunch of geezers is not exciting. I saw them in Reno in 2017, and was unimpressed. In a sad way honestly. White had been injured recently and only played for some of the show. Howe can't play like he used to. Downes is one the worse keyboard players they've had, so having him on board isn't anything to be amazed by. The best one in the bunch was probably Billy Sherwood honestly. ARW are doing much better at carrying the Yes torch in my opinion, and they even keep the fan pool wide by playing stuff from the 70s to early 90s. Saw them at the Greek in LA in 2018, and it was a pretty fun show. Either way, at 19 and 20 years old respectively at each concert, I was one of the youngest people there.

KC has been an improv band since the mid-70s. While they've also been a revolving door of musicians, Fripp's music lends itself to flexibility. So having fresh younger members mixed in with the old guard helps a lot. Yes are a little bit stuck in tradition. So not only are KC gaining new fans, but Yes seems to be losing even old ones.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 20:48
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

This is difficult, because some of these bands had a revolving door of different artists, while others stuck it out together for long periods of time. Some stayed great friends until the end and others ended up hating each other. Some had members that ended up doing themselves harm or even taking their own lives. So, it depends on how you define success and what you value. Probably the most stable band that had their priorities in order and consistently put out high quality music for the longest time, ended up enjoying each other’s company after their great run, and who didn’t let it all go to their heads, and had supportive families ... that band, in my view, is the most successful. I’m sure you can guess who I’m talking about. Take off!

It's......"Take off eh!"

Take off Eh! Dont be a hoser. | Make a Meme

Edited by Catcher10 - August 09 2020 at 20:49
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 19:33
This is difficult, because some of these bands had a revolving door of different artists, while others stuck it out together for long periods of time. Some stayed great friends until the end and others ended up hating each other. Some had members that ended up doing themselves harm or even taking their own lives. So, it depends on how you define success and what you value. Probably the most stable band that had their priorities in order and consistently put out high quality music for the longest time, ended up enjoying each other’s company after their great run, and who didn’t let it all go to their heads, and had supportive families ... that band, in my view, is the most successful. I’m sure you can guess who I’m talking about. Take off!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 12:21
Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

I think I've only heard KC in a public place 5 times

I guess I just meant the amount of people I've spoken to irl who now know of KC (well, ITCOTCK anyway) because of anime or Kanye. It's building up. 

Also weird hearing Starless at the beginning of the movie 'Mandy' as well.
I also reckon that Fripp is becoming meme-worthy in the realm of anime.

I can't really disagree with that. King Crimson is starting to get this big hipster following or something. Actually they have probably had it for a while now but it's hard to tell since I don't really hang out in record stores like I used to. At some point just by judging things online they seem to be popular among younger prog fans and probably younger fans in general. I would be willing to bet that if you went to a KC show these days there would be a lot more younger people(say under 35) there than at a Yes show. Last time I saw Yes(the ARW version) it was almost like going to an AARP convention. Unless you are talking about hardcore prog fans Yes just doesn't seem to have many younger fans(for whatever reason). Also, I've noticed that that the number of "likes" for KC's facebook page is growing rapidly while the one for Yes is declining(as in people are clicking unlike for the band Yes). I wouldn't be too surprised if at some point KC's over all popularity exceeds Yes since they seem to be on the way to doing that already(maybe it's already happened. Who knows.).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 09 2020 at 12:23
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 12:10
I remember a long time ago there was this cartoon in progression magazine where a guy wearing a t shirt with all these prog band names on it like Flower Kings, Djam Karet, Glass Hammer, etc sees a guy wearing a Pink Floyd t shirt and says to him something like "cool shirt man, Pink Floyd are one of my favorite prog bands." The guy wearing the Pink Floyd t shirt responds by saying "what are you talking about? Pink Floyd are a rock band." LOL I think that cartoon sums it up right there. I would guess that probably at least 80 percent of Pink Floyd fans don't even know what prog is. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 09 2020 at 12:14
A Bard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 11:09
I have to say Pink Floyd. Genesis comes in a very close second. If was the 80s Genesis would win in my opinion. Pink Floyd is still in the Public Conversation while Phill Area genesis is not as talk as often.   
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 10:48
The OP is kinda all over the place, as seems some feel too. Successful, inspirational, influential can certainly be looked at differently. 
To be very serious about this you would almost have to research what other bands say. Newer bands would probably say Rush and Pink Floyd. The older the "newer" band is you will start to see King Crimson Genesis and Yes mentioned.
What I think would happen is you will get more that a newer band is inspired by a particular musician rather than the band as a whole. 
In that case I would say Chris Squire, Neil Peart probably lead that pack. Phil Collins is always noted as an excellent drummer and Geddy Lee with his 3 ring circus talent bass, keys and vocals. We all love Steve Hackett and his playing, but rarely do you hear newer bands cite him as an influence individually.

I don't know how to answer but I really feel that Genesis, KC and ELP would be low on a list like this. As progressive rock fans we love these bands, I just am not sure other bands do.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 10:07

Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Ok, I wound up voting for Yes because I think they are the band most closely associated with prog. There are a lot of people who vaguely know what prog is but at least know Yes are considered prog rock. Many(if not most)of them probably don't know who King Crimson are(and some probably never even heard of them). Pink Floyd are not as closely associated with prog as Yes are imo. 

The exact same reason I voted Yes. This seems to be what the OP was looking for.

Yeah, I suppose so. Yes has been one of the most defining bands of prog, and has always been associated with prog, despite 90125.

Yeah, kind of weird that their biggest album(sales wise) isn't one that is very representative of their signature sound and style but I suppose you could say the same about Genesis. These days their most defining album however seems to be close to the edge. If you look up lists online of not just prog albums but even classic rock albums ctte usually pops up there somewhere and if it's a prog list it's usually at or near the top. 90125 rarely gets mentioned unless you are talking about 80's albums specificially and even then there are several others that are rated and ranked higher. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 09 2020 at 10:11
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 07:16
Have to say I really love Yes & Genesis, also Rush into Signals, but my life would never collapsed if neo prog hadn´t existed. Also "new wave of modern prog in the nineties & 2000´s". There were few really personal new progbands in Finland in 1990´s & 2000´s that I really love, but that´s all.
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 05:32
I fully agree with you on Genesis, which was what I originally thought. Without Genesis we would not have a lot of things, including neo prog. Even Rush has taken inspiration from Genesis, since Neil Peart claimed influence from the SEBTP album. If success is how defining and influential a band is, in prog, Yes and Genesis are the most successful bands.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 04:05
I finally understood what OP was looking. And have to say the answer is both Yes & Genesis. I mean if people who knows at all prog is thinking how does it sound. Really hard to say which has define more prog. Also I think really many progbands of today wanted to sound like Yes and Genesis, specially if they are categorized as symph prog. And really many today´s people know Pink Floyd, but not that it has put into prog at least in the seventies-eighties.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>