FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bands whose albums sound the same

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bands whose albums sound the same
    Posted: November 12 2022 at 01:24
I really like The Flower Kings, but would you Adam & Eve it, I'd have a hard time telling one Flower Power album apart from another. I think my prog credentials have just gone Kaput, again! Embarrassed
Dapper~Blueberries View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dapper~Blueberries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2022 at 00:02
I always found Renaissance, besides in the 80s, to have albums that sound scarily alike.
D~B
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2022 at 05:38
^ The ones with vocals tend to agree but the purely instrumental ones are different.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2022 at 17:34
I kind of hate to say but I'm going to say Steve Hackett. Probably not so much in his early career but later on. Most if not all of the later albums I've heard by him sound very similar imo. Still very good though.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 05 2022 at 17:35
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2022 at 16:23
Tool
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2022 at 15:19
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Blackmore's Night, Dream Theatre, Tangerine Dream, and I also like their music a lot. In general, the whole Prog Metal genre sounds quite similar to me, specially the guitar solos.

DT definitely has a sound, I don't know enough about Blackmore's Night to comment on it.  But Tangerine Dream has over 100 releases.  Sure, one can tell that Phaedra and Rubycon are related. Many of their albums recorded next to each other sound related.  But there is no logical way to say that Zeit, Phaedra, Force Majeure, Tangram, Thief, Turn of The Tides, Underwater Sunlight, Mota Atma, and Purgatorio sound similar.  TD has just recorded too many different styles.  Most I like, some are Desert Island Disks and others well not so much.  That's why I always end up checking back in if I run into a style that doesn't suit me.  It will change.   

You need more TD! Big smile 

Edited by tdfloyd - October 27 2022 at 16:29
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2022 at 08:09
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

Pink Floyd ..lets all give up on life and smoke drugs Wink

are you serious? Confused
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2022 at 08:06
Pink Floyd ..lets all give up on life and smoke drugs Wink
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2022 at 11:01
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

I call BS.

about what?! 

On the tellie. I think it’s a phone sex thing with focus on excrement fetishes

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2022 at 08:23
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

I call BS.

about what?! 
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2022 at 08:08
I call BS.
The Prog Corner
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2022 at 06:32
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

However much this is true in terms of composition, it does completely ignore Greg Lake's and Carl Palmer's contribution, both of whom are essential. I am a massive ELP fan because they as a band were imperious and raised the bar. Progressive Rock Music is not Progressive Classical Music. They aren't the same thing.

Hi,

Agreed, that both Greg and Carl added to the whole thing, but I bet that was defined when they worked the piece together and were able to add breaks, stops, starts and other moments. That's (usually) a part of rehearsal and learning a new piece. Except in the new "progressive" things added today when it's so metronomic as to be very boring ... makes me want to say ... "Where's the Music?"

Progressive Rock Music is NOT Classical Music; however, it is very difficult to not see the parallels in their composition and their resolution to several themes within the piece. The only problem here is that "Progressive Rock Music" is a boring, formulaic and beat up useless Model T of a score and needs to die ... and we are not musically educated (not that I am either in terms of specific music terms) enough to even SEE the parallels and how they work and develop.

What is even more bizarre, is that the "definition" of Progressive Music, wants a guitar solo, and ELP did not have one and did not need one because Keith would do it all by himself. So, in this sense, even ELP does not fit into the "Progressive" design and definition.

I, too, have loved ELP from the first, and the first album I bought of theirs was "Pictures at An Exhibition" which I felt was a nice rendition and take of the original classical music piece. So, it is even weirder to see it being said that both Classical and Progressive are not "the same" when in essence, Keith was very much about Classical Music and did a lot of it, including in his days with The Nice. It's the same person ... and we must give him some credit for his musicianship and knowledge of music. I even, on occasion, think that both Greg and Carl were blown away for all the material, but in the end, they were able to color the ideas and the music beautifully ... and you and I will always agree on that!

Edited by moshkito - October 24 2022 at 06:33
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
bartymj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bartymj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2022 at 03:05
Just going to jump in here with my recent vendetta against Mr Beige Prog-by-numbers releasing the same album four times since 2020: Antony Kalugin.

Karfagen influence perhaps.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2022 at 02:26
However much this is true in terms of composition, it does completely ignore Greg Lake's and Carl Palmer's contribution, both of whom are essential. I am a massive ELP fan because they as a band were imperious and raised the bar. Progressive Rock Music is not Progressive Classical Music. They aren't the same thing.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2022 at 10:15
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

... I'd rather listen to the original ELP version of Tarkus to decide how good it is. As I see it, Rachel Flowers' version is a different piece of music and should be assessed as such. By using Rachel Flowers to extol the virtues of ELP's compositional skills, you are perhaps selling Rachel Flowers short.

Hi,

What you fail to see, in my book, is how a serious music student can get a good response from a teacher or anyone else. If Keith Emerson had taken the "piano score" to a teacher, or to us the public, he would have been boo'd, and told to go home. No one would have heard it at that time, because the appreciation for MUSIC had been replaced for a style that was about SHOWING us how good the music supposedly was, instead of the reality.

Keith used the instruments of the day ... to come up with his piece of music that otherwise would have been ignored. As to which sounds, he ended up using, may have had input from the other 2, but it is possible that he had already figured out which bit he wanted where in the amount of time for it.

Look ... it's really simple ... a timeless piece of music is always remembered and shown to have a life in different ways ... TARKUS has shown us that there were many musicians at that time (and today!) that were above the norm, and THEY KNEW WHAT THEY WERE DOING. A little experimenting here and there, but in general, their presentation was no different than a different take on the piece by someone else 100 years later.

It's bizarre to me, that you still look at TARKUS as some sort of pop music song that was a hit, and can only be remembered if "fans" decide that it deserves to be approved as a masterpiece, for which they have no criteria, other than the fame content ... it's about the music, and you can't say that TARKUS does not live in Rachel's hands, and likely will in someone else's hands 50 years from now! Electronic or not is not the issue ... how the magic and mystery of the music comes out IS THE STORY!

Edited by moshkito - October 22 2022 at 10:16
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2022 at 05:41
Complete nonsense
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2022 at 05:17
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

This is one reason why I (continually!) ask for some music to get UNPLUGGED. Because too much of it is hiding behind an effect that we think makes it better, and this is not the case! It fools the audience, instead!

I very strongly disagree with this. The overall sound is what we hear, effects and all, and is ultimately what appeals to us or not. By your reasoning, perhaps taking it to its logical conclusion, one should assess music by looking at its score. Why listen to the music when one can read the sheet to see that all the notes go to where they ought to go. You often mention Rachel Flowers' rendition of Tarkus as an indication of how good Tarkus is as a composition. I'd rather listen to the original ELP version of Tarkus to decide how good it is. As I see it, Rachel Flowers' version is a different piece of music and should be assessed as such. By using Rachel Flowers to extol the virtues of ELP's compositional skills, you are perhaps selling Rachel Flowers short.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2022 at 03:58
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I suspect you've misunderstood what he actually means by "the sound".

Hi,

Actually, I think you have misinterpreted the whole thing. There is only "one sound", not various in our imaginations. The thought is, immediately, where does it come from, and a lot of times you find that the structures are too close and similar for the whole thing to even possibly "sound" different, with 4 more effects (let's say!) to help it seem better.

You're getting fooled by publicity, and not the music!

What is weird is that what we are discussing is that so many bands repeated themselves as to make their whole creative output seem like sh*t! And I don't think it is! DT may have repeated themselves a bit too much, but on the whole, they are still good and strong, although the idea is still the same ... the guitar controls the rest of the music, ignoring the other instruments altogether!

This is one reason why I (continually!) ask for some music to get UNPLUGGED. Because too much of it is hiding behind an effect that we think makes it better, and this is not the case! It fools the audience, instead!
www.pedrosena.com
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2022 at 02:56
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Without wishing to flog a dead horse, to me, everything Opeth did between Orchid and Watershed sound more or less the same, although I'm quite sure, being an ardent fan of theirs, you'll tell me they are all quite different.

I can't say I'm an ardent fan, I do like progressive death metal Opeth every now and then. 
I more or less agree with what you say here, they created their own sound and stick with it for a while. Some of these albums are more inspired then others, a couple are better produced.

Yes, I was just using it as a simple example of familiarity. You listen to a band and if you like their sound, you tend to make the effort to immerse yourself in their discography. Admittedly, some band's sonic range can be quite extensive, while others are more uniform, but if you love a band and give them enough listens, then even their music constructs start to separate themselves after a while, so each album becomes relatively distinct, with styles, textures and tones revealing themselves after a while. I guess, if you really can't stand Rush and you only give a few of their albums a cursory listen, then even they can just sound 'all the same'!  Smile 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2022 at 02:27
I have seven albums by Rush and seven albums by Dream Theater, but they do sound very similar to me, if not the same. Smile

By the way, I do like Opeth's Pale Communion album, even though most of their early albums sound the same to me. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 22 2022 at 02:31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>