Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
XTChuck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeuhl Open Discussion
    Posted: June 20 2006 at 12:01
To Flyingsod:  You hit the nail on the head comparing "that horrid singing" to bad acting.
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 11:55
Originally posted by OrionCrystalIce OrionCrystalIce wrote:

I want to get into some Zeuhl and have been trying to figure out which album to pick up....

I'm going to ask an oddly-specified question.... do any of these bands have anything that sounds like Devil Doll? Because as I read more and more descriptives, it seems to remind me a lot of 'The Girl Who Was Death', which I got rid of... not because it was odd, but the mood simply annoyed me and I felt it was disjointed even for the style. So that's what I DON'T want. I would like to venture into the very darkest the style has to offer, however.....so what would that be? '1313'? 'Kohntarkosz'? Right now I'm at a toss up between those two...

Zeuhl ain't nothing like Devil Doll, matey. 1313 is a classic but if you want to really get to grips with Zeuhl you've got to start with Magma. And that means maybe not just going for "dark". Zeuhl is much more than just slightly evil sounding prog, y'know. It has many songs and albums of immesurable beauty and optimism too. MDK by Magma is a very very solid introduction into Zeuhl, I'd say. Kohntarkosz might be a bit of a slog.
Minimalist777 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 10:46
I havent heard to much Zeuhl, but that which I have heard sounds not very much like Devil Doll.
OrionCrystalIce View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 07:01
I want to get into some Zeuhl and have been trying to figure out which album to pick up....

I'm going to ask an oddly-specified question.... do any of these bands have anything that sounds like Devil Doll? Because as I read more and more descriptives, it seems to remind me a lot of 'The Girl Who Was Death', which I got rid of... not because it was odd, but the mood simply annoyed me and I felt it was disjointed even for the style. So that's what I DON'T want. I would like to venture into the very darkest the style has to offer, however.....so what would that be? '1313'? 'Kohntarkosz'? Right now I'm at a toss up between those two...
black star, white light

Cheesecakemouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 06:17
Originally posted by Ghandi 2 Ghandi 2 wrote:

Eros by Dun is instrumental.

I have a question: I don't like the Magma songs, or any of the other Zeuhl that I've listened to (which is admittedly not very much), but I do like the Eros sample song. Would it be a wise purchase to explore this genre of prog? I'm trying to expand beyond my currently rather tame borders, while understanding that I'm probably never going to like some of the more agressively weird genres. The weirdest things I have are probably VdGG, experimental Floyd, and Zappa's jazz-rock works. Although that this CD must be bought from an online vendor besides Amazon (I trust WaySide Music, but still...) and that it's expensive does hamper my desire to buy it.

Try some MP3's first but Dun does sound different from Magma in a lot of respects, if you love Jazz Fusion I'd strongly recommend it. I see you like Zappa's Jazz rock so yes I'd say from your taste in Zappa, if I were  you I'd get Dun ErosSmileWink.

Flyingsod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2006 at 21:15
Thanks Ghandi 2, I'll go listen to that in a sec. Weird that no one replied to us, I guess they don't want any zuehl converts this week :)
Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 23:11

Eros by Dun is instrumental.

I have a question: I don't like the Magma songs, or any of the other Zeuhl that I've listened to (which is admittedly not very much), but I do like the Eros sample song. Would it be a wise purchase to explore this genre of prog? I'm trying to expand beyond my currently rather tame borders, while understanding that I'm probably never going to like some of the more agressively weird genres. The weirdest things I have are probably VdGG, experimental Floyd, and Zappa's jazz-rock works. Although that this CD must be bought from an online vendor besides Amazon (I trust WaySide Music, but still...) and that it's expensive does hamper my desire to buy it.

Edited by Ghandi 2 - June 14 2006 at 23:35
Flyingsod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 22:43
Originally posted by progressive progressive wrote:

Many aren't appeald by Magma's Üdü Wüdü, but why, why, why, why, why, o-why?

Tell me. I like it (partly, but in a hard way - partly very much).

Too avantgarde? No. Not "avantgarde". And why not to be avantgarde? Could it be avantgarde if everyone liked it - no.

Magma (not all, but most of it), Ruins (not all the punk parts), and Dün are amazing, and other zeuhl. It's very progressive, it's emotional, it's crazy. Oh, the drums, and what bass lines, and the high female vocals with low (and high:)) male growling, and the imaginated world (not the main idea), and the symphonism, heavier than anything and happy parts, aah. Though, Happy Family hasn't mesmerized me.

I'll Tell ya why. That horrid singing. I've always assumed all Magma was like that though. It is the most pretentious singing I have ever been offended by. To me it's the equivalent of bad acting. There may be nothing technically wrong with the vocals but he tries to hard to be scarey. Its like he's screaming "Oh look at me I am dark and forboding". Its way oversung. Like a child pretending to be a ghost. Anyway, that's why I dont like it. And of course those are only my opinions, I didnt mean to state them as fact.

Now on to my question... Is this type of overdramatic playacting style of singing done by all Zeuhl groups? I'm asking because the music intrigues me but there is no way I'm shelling out for another Magma album but I would like to try others. Dun maybe, they've come up in the thread a lot. Better yet are there any instrumental Zeuhl albums?

Thanks for your time.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 21:11
Originally posted by Black Velvet Black Velvet wrote:

Originally posted by progreviews progreviews wrote:

Does anybody know if Soleil Zeuhl is stocking DÜN - Eros at the moment? I have been trying to find this album for a while now. For some reason everytime I go on Soleil Zeuhls' site there seems to be some sort of error.

Sigh... this makes three times in one day, but I'm going to keep plugging them until people start paying attention ... Wayside Music has Eros in stock for $18.

Relatively cheap shipping outside the USA too, I believe.

Sorry my mistake... thanks for the link

I got Dun Eros a fortnight ago under the Solelil Zehuel label through my record store I just ordered it and got it imported from Europe, if a New Zealander got it that easily surely you guys in the states and Europe can get it. I'm sure Amazon will have Dun Eros. Actually come to think of it it was listed as Duen Eros not Dun, try searching for it under that spelling. The album from the store was listed Duen but it was spelled Dun on the CD. 

Explorer-eighth View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 19:10

Tonight, I have been listening to MAGMA'S UDU WUDU and I can appreciate it alot more now.  This time, I listened to it on my DVD player connected to my old television set and so the sound was thinner and the treble and bass were better balanced.  My CD player doesn't do justice to it with its excessive bass quality.  I am pleased that I bought Udu Wudu now.

I then played MAGMA'S MEKANIK KOMMANDOH and it was too repetitive throughout most of it.  It is in D major virtually all the way through and that is frustrating.  There are some good moments such as the atmospheric opening section before the rhythmic theme begins.

I am now playing UNIVERS ZERO'S 1313 and again it sounds much better on my television.  The first track is really chaotic until the slow section comes in, and the whole album is difficult music because there are so few melodies.  I love the use of the harpsichord when it is used.  My favourite track is "Malaise".

Yesterday, I played ART ZOYD'S MUSIQUE POUR L'ODYSEE and it is well worth anyone's money.  It is very atmospheric and instruments that are not normally heard together blend together really well on this album.  It is more varied than I'd remembered it being too.

There is a very high standard of musicianship on all these albums.

The music I enjoy is complex; varied; deep and well played.
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 17:42

Originally posted by progreviews progreviews wrote:

Does anybody know if Soleil Zeuhl is stocking DÜN - Eros at the moment? I have been trying to find this album for a while now. For some reason everytime I go on Soleil Zeuhls' site there seems to be some sort of error.

Sigh... this makes three times in one day, but I'm going to keep plugging them until people start paying attention ... Wayside Music has Eros in stock for $18.

Sorry my mistake... thanks for the link
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 17:26
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

Originally posted by eugene eugene wrote:

Don't think Art Zoyd got anything to do with Zeuhl

Art Zoyd toured with Magma and some musicians have played with both bands. Their albums up to Phase IV have a strong Zeuhl influence, although this is less noticeable on more recent releases. They're considered Zeuhl on the Ork Alarm website, as are Univers Zero.

Above explains as well, thanks, Syzygy.

carefulwiththataxe
progreviews View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 17:25

eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 17:24
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

The groups I would avoid in Zeuhl are :

Runaway totem >> derivative , and increasingly sampled music as album go by

What album(s) you've got in mind??
I love their Tep Zepi, but not very much impressed by Zed (only two albums I've heard)
"Derivative" - ? - from who ???

And sometimes I doubt this band is Zeuhl....

Runaway Totem is definitely derivative of Magma. I have Zed at home and heard Tep Zepi and rented from the library the last album which is full of sampled instrumentsDead

As for Art Zoyd, their classic music sound (I speak of their 70's and early 80's albums) is very similar to Univers Zero, which gives a definite RIO genre, but if you listen closelu to AZ and UZ, and compare to Magma, you will see the obvious influences

Thanks, Sean Trane, although I would not call them derivative, it explains your view on it.
carefulwiththataxe
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 17:15
My Zeuhl collection is looking far from complete at the moment

More along the lines of Japanese Zeuhl.. so to speak. Just a week ago picked put a CD by Keiji Hanio "New Rap". I felt impelled to buy it when I noticed it was a collaboration with Yoshida Tatsuya from Ruins. The CD had a lot of Zeuhl elements crossed with the Japanese noise scene. Upon searching on the internet, I found out Keiji Hanio has done some more collaborations with the whole Ruins outfit under the name "Knead".

I was just wondering whether anybody knows of this side project? What they sound like... do they stick with their Zeuhl roots?

progreviews View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 15:59
Originally posted by Cheesecakemouse Cheesecakemouse wrote:

I cna't find any online stores that deal with Eskatons 4 Visions or Magma's Christian Vander Wurdah Itah are those two CDs out of print or something?

Wayside Music has Wurdah Itah in stock for $16. Highly recommended, dependable vendor that I've been using for years. Unfortunately, the CD issue of 4 Visions is on the Swedish Ad Perpetuam Memoriam label, which is long-defunct and all their releases are long out of print. There have been some rumors that Soleil Zeuhl might eventually obtain the rights to it and reissue it again, but I'm not holding my breath.
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 08:56

Don't think Art Zoyd got anything to do with Zeuhl

I wonder why my previous post appeared all in small print ????

Art Zoyd toured with Magma and some musicians have played with both bands. Their albums up to Phase IV have a strong Zeuhl influence, although this is less noticeable on more recent releases. They're considered Zeuhl on the Ork Alarm website, as are Univers Zero.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 08:52
Bug

Edited by Syzygy - June 14 2006 at 08:56
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 08:30
I cna't find any online stores that deal with Eskatons 4 Visions or Magma's Christian Vander Wurdah Itah are those two CDs out of print or something?
I will look up Zao and Ruins and Happy Family ( although I do think most newer prog is a step down and tends to indulge too much in the past than look to the future (except Radiohead and Mars Volta and a few others)).
I'll look out for Art Zoyd, and I'll get UV's Ceux de Dehores and Heresie.
I got Kohntarkosz yesterday I love it for me it is the epitome of what Zehuel is, i've listened to it  a dozen times already I prefer it to MDK, I think it is Magma's finest so far (I've got Udu Wudu and Attahk as well), I think Kohntarkosz is where UV got their sound from(well from 1313 anyway thats all I've heard) it's dark and energetic yet joyful as well. 5/5

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2006 at 07:33

The groups I would avoid in Zeuhl are :

Runaway totem >> derivative , and increasingly sampled music as album go by

What album(s) you've got in mind??
I love their Tep Zepi, but not very much impressed by Zed (only two albums I've heard)
"Derivative" - ? - from who ???

And sometimes I doubt this band is Zeuhl....

Runaway Totem is definitely derivative of Magma. I have Zed at home and heard Tep Zepi and rented from the library the last album which is full of sampled instrumentsDead

As for Art Zoyd, their classic music sound (I speak of their 70's and early 80's albums) is very similar to Univers Zero, which gives a definite RIO genre, but if you listen closelu to AZ and UZ, and compare to Magma, you will see the obvious influences

Edited by Sean Trane - June 14 2006 at 07:35
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>