Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow much do you practice? Petrucci?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much do you practice? Petrucci?
    Posted: February 26 2008 at 01:58
Does anyone have any information on how much Shawn Lane practiced per day? I've been looking around, but haven't yet been able to find anything about it, so hopefully someone can enlighten me on this.
N Ellingworth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2008 at 04:30
Just posted a new thread with the full specification and a picture of what I've got at the moment Wink
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2008 at 03:45
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey SpaceMonkey wrote:

Originally posted by N Ellingworth N Ellingworth wrote:

I'm building my own guitar at the moment and it's only going to cost me £250, I've only got the body, neck, and bridge at the moment, I should be getting everything else I need next month. It's only going to be a Stratocaster copy but I'm using really decent components like some Fender TexMex pickups and a Wilkinson VS100 tremolo.

Tell me how it is when you get it built.

Oh, a bit more information on the other specifications would be nice tooSmile.
SpaceMonkey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2008 at 03:04

I'm building my own guitar at the moment and it's only going to cost me £250, I've only got the body, neck, and bridge at the moment, I should be getting everything else I need next month. It's only going to be a Stratocaster copy but I'm using really decent components like some Fender TexMex pickups and a Wilkinson VS100 tremolo.

Tell me how it is when you get it built.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2008 at 15:26
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2008 at 15:08
Originally posted by MisterProg2112 MisterProg2112 wrote:

It had to be way before Jan. of this year. It's been at lest 3 months since I last purchased an issue. I just don't remember. But I have seen the 20th Anniversary JEM Ibanez and it is a beauty.

Amen...it's the nicest guitar I've ever played. Hopefully that will be the next guitar I purchase...I've only got about $2,000 more to save up LOL

$2000 moreShocked. I just purchased the Petrucci signature, older model. I blew only $1200 on that and I never really planned on going beyond that. Unless The lower model JEM decides to drop a little.
Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2008 at 14:06

It had to be way before Jan. of this year. It's been at lest 3 months since I last purchased an issue. I just don't remember. But I have seen the 20th Anniversary JEM Ibanez and it is a beauty.

Amen...it's the nicest guitar I've ever played. Hopefully that will be the next guitar I purchase...I've only got about $2,000 more to save up LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2008 at 07:29

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2008 at 06:02

^^ Vai has posted his 10-Hour workout numerous times through the magazine. I remember reading how he has improved upon even more. Instead of 10 hours now, it's 30 hours stretched between 3 days. (That would be 10 a day for three days for our mathematically impaired membersWink) But all he does is give more time to each area being trained/conditioned. I forget where I've seen this one at, though. I want to say it was GW, but I'd have to find the article.

I think it was the January 2008 issue of GW, I also recall seeing the article, where Vai and Satch are interviewed together,  along with Vai being interviewed about his 20th Anniversary JEM Ibanez, then a lesson on Surfing With The Alien, followed by the 30 hour workout.

Edited by HughesJB4 - February 21 2008 at 06:03
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2008 at 05:38
^^ Vai has posted his 10-Hour workout numerous times through the magazine. I remember reading how he has improved upon even more. Instead of 10 hours now, it's 30 hours stretched between 3 days. (That would be 10 a day for three days for our mathematically impaired membersWink) But all he does is give more time to each area being trained/conditioned. I forget where I've seen this one at, though. I want to say it was GW, but I'd have to find the article.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 22:07
Steve Vai had practiced 10 hours a day when he was around 14 or 15...I read a lot about it and it's actually transcribed in an issue of 'Guitar World' with Vai and Satch on the cover..I think the issue was called 'Return of the Shred' or something like that.
ClassicRocker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 22:05
I try to do 1 hour a day of piano (of course if i skip I have to play longer other times) - personally striving (...struggling LOL) to make the school's jazz ensemble for next year, which needs a new keyboard player.
It's cool to see so many self-taught people here. Personally, I feel like I need someone telling me what I'm doing wrong to get anywhereEmbarrassed
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 15:03
That's probably the case I know that I've been looking forward to try these new picks out (I ordered them a couple of days ago) but I didn't think that the effect would be this good.

On the subject of strings, I've never understood why people like Ernie Ball strings, I've always preferred D'Addarios and Rotosounds. Ok for one of my guitars I don't have a choice when it comes to strings as D'Addario make the only double ball end strings I'd trust (yeah I've got a Steinberger).

Going back to the main subject of the thread, my university studies have really got in the way recently but now that I've got all my coursework out of the way for the moment I'm hoping I can start practising a lot more and therefore write and record more music.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 14:52

I'm a bit confused today, I've decided to try some different plectrums and bought a few Clayton 0.45mm Ultem picks and 0.5mm Acetal picks to replace my rapidly aging Gibson Ms (0.75mm) and I'm finding that instantly I'm more creative and have written more today than in the past 2 months! Am I really weird or were the Gibson picks holding me back?

things like that have happened to me before like once when I changed my strings to ernie ball I "magically" was able to write more material and was a lot more focused....I think it was just in my head..just like what I think about your pick situation...it's all in our heads.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 14:47
I'm a bit confused today, I've decided to try some different plectrums and bought a few Clayton 0.45mm Ultem picks and 0.5mm Acetal picks to replace my rapidly aging Gibson Ms (0.75mm) and I'm finding that instantly I'm more creative and have written more today than in the past 2 months! Am I really weird or were the Gibson picks holding me back?
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 14:33
I've been solo-jamming in phyrgian mode and trying to be stricter with my left hand play on the keyboard - often I find myself just picking out bass notes when chords would be better... but I don't do it so that I can become the very best or whatever nonsense. I'm a songwriter, I'll never be a stunning performer, and by jamming I'm mining for song ideas. I never write anything based around a technique - I'll leave that to the shredders - but I do uncover a lot of progressions that I've heard in cabaret or in jazz-tinged music and stored away, never to try and consciously learn. That's my style. =)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 14:28
I actually envy those with a routine. When I'm not playing guitar I'm playing hockey and when I'm not playing hockey I'm playing guitar...but inbetween playing guitar or hockey I also listen to music and go on the computer...to learn new things on guitar or new dekes or 'dangles' in hockey.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 02:07
^Well in recent weeks, due to school starting again, I had not been practicing enough IMO (an hour a day, not enough for me), so I have been forced to make myself a more planned daily schedule to ensure I get at least 2 hours practice, as well as upping my metronome workouts from the recent weeks 15minutes, to 30 minutes plus.
Wallium View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2008 at 21:41
The truth is, is you want to be the best, you have to put in the time to be the best.  If we all could become legendary on an hour a day alone, no one would stand out.

For me, I get an hour or two of practice in a day (not including playing during the school day and band performances), between 4 instruments..... pitiful I know.
Mens sceptrum totus

7540113804746400000 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2008 at 09:22
I have a cycle when I'm not doing anything or having band practice. I sit on my computer, then get bored and play drums, then get tired and wonder around a bit, then end up back at my computer, then i get bored and play drums.... I don't know how many hours I practice, but the cycle is very effective.
I'm enormously powerful and handsome
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>