Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - "Best ofs" and "Greatest Hits" as an introduction
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Best ofs" and "Greatest Hits" as an introduction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
enigma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Best ofs" and "Greatest Hits" as an introduction
    Posted: March 07 2008 at 15:12
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I just had a look at that album and noticed that "Echoes" is only 16:31 long on it, while on "Meddle" it is 23:27 Angry. what happened to the other 7 minutes? what was cut out? Confused

A few minutes from the first half (several sections edited), most of the trippy 'seagull' section, and a bit from the end.  The whole song still flows, and if you had not heard the original, you would not know there is anything missing.

A collection of great dance songs got me into the Floyd, it has an edited version of Shine On - an edited version of part 1 with the added verse from part 2 spliced in. It was often the version you would hear on the radio as it is a cut down version of the complete song. - The version on Echoes extends it out a bit more but is a similar thing.
When I bought WYWH a year later, I was quite amazed when I heard the song(s) in the original format.

Dance Songs also contains a re-recording of Money, so there is some novelty value in that.

Edited by enigma - March 07 2008 at 15:17
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2008 at 13:58
My friend just me told that the Marillion website will send you a free compilation (CD or download) if you register. He's a huge fan of Fish-era Marillion (in fact, he's going to see Fish in Edinburgh tonight) but never paid any attention to the band after Fish left. He says the compilation has made him interested in seeking out more of the Hogarth albums.

Edited by A B Negative - March 08 2008 at 09:38
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
TartanTantrum View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 08:12
In 1999 I discovered that a prog rock revival was going on. In fact prog rock had not died in the 70's. With the exception of Marillion in the 80's, I had no idea that neo-prog had started. When I found this out I was keen to check out new bands who already had an impressive back catalogue. I have always tried live albums first as I believe if a band can do it live and I like the music, then it will be worthwhile investing in their studio albums. Thsi worked well for The Flower Kings as I bought Alive on Planet Earth, and I was knocked out when I heard Church of your Heart in particular and the rest of the tracks in general. Mind you I could never understand why they covered The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway considering their impressive recording list. Needless to say I bought everything by the band.

The next I tried was Forever Live by IQ. Another impressive work and again led be to buying everything they had released.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 06:10
Originally posted by kenmartree kenmartree wrote:

Originally posted by A B Negative A B Negative wrote:

And don't tell me I don't love prog because I'm not listening to the tracks in the order the artist intended on the original album. If someone skips past More Fool Me when they listen to Selling England by the Pound they're guilty of the same crime. Wink
They just threw Phil a bone and let him sing a song, the correct way to listen to SEBTP is to skip More Fool MeTongue

I'm one of the few who likes MFM, I think it's one of Phil's best vocal performances. It shows a fragility and vulnerability missing from his later bombast. Wink
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
kenmartree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 01:33

And don't tell me I don't love prog because I'm not listening to the tracks in the order the artist intended on the original album. If someone skips past More Fool Me when they listen to Selling England by the Pound they're guilty of the same crime. Wink
They just threw Phil a bone and let him sing a song, the correct way to listen to SEBTP is to skip More Fool MeTongue
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 05:55
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Mostly Autumn - Heroes Never Die; an unusual approach to a 'best of' in that MA chose the tracks to go onto the album, then re-recorded new versions of them - well worth checking out

Spot on Jim, the care and attention given to that release sets it apart as the standard for others to aspire to.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2008 at 14:27
My only way to introduce myself to new prog bands is to buy their highest rated album... I don't tolerate Greatest hits or Live albums unless is for other kinds of music, for example for more popular rock or metal bands that actually do have hits and their other songs are not that great, then I can live with just a compilation. But for all my PA-certified discs (LOL), as well as for some other artists, I only go with albums... Compilations don't give you the whole idea of an artist's ouvre, and Live recordings are usually different, faster-played, sound is poor, there's audience noise... I just can't take them.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2008 at 12:22
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

I'd tend to agree with Raff & Jean as far as live albums as an introduction to a band is concerned; it's the way I've always gone & thus far has rarely steered me wrong.

A couple of recommendations for 'best of' albums though:

Pink Floyd - Echoes; remixed completely by David Gilmour in such a way as it almost comes across as a single piece of work, with the tracks not put down chronologically, but in such a way as to compliment the song before & afterward (and finally putting 'Shine On...' together as a single 17 minute piece)

Mostly Autumn - Heroes Never Die; an unusual approach to a 'best of' in that MA chose the tracks to go onto the album, then re-recorded new versions of them - well worth checking out

I just had a look at that album and noticed that "Echoes" is only 16:31 long on it, while on "Meddle" it is 23:27 Angry. what happened to the other 7 minutes? what was cut out? Confused

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2008 at 12:06
Originally posted by the_rider the_rider wrote:

IMO, the best way to get into a band nowdays is to download for own listening, then buy what you think is the best albums, slowely, one a a time, beginning with the one you from your download-experience find the best and most tracks on.

Assuming of course such downloads are 100% legal - after all, we don't support illegal downloads, do we?

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2008 at 09:51
Originally posted by Man Erg Man Erg wrote:

When I started buying records in the late 1960s early 1970s,all that I could afford were label sampler albums.In those days,labels like Vertigo,Island and Charisma would release albums made up of tracks by the artists on the labels roster.
The first of these that I bought was an Island sampler called.Nice Enough to Eat.This contained tracks by Jethro Tull,Nick Drake,Fairport Convention,Mott the Hoople and King Crimson.I know that the odd track by a band isn't necessarily a reflection on the rest of their output but it was enough to influence me to buy the studio albums by the bands that I was intrugued by.

Island and Charisma released some excellent sampler albums other than the one I've already mentioned.For instance,Charisma brought out a sampler called One More Chance.This included the 7'' single version of Genesis' Seven Stones,tracks by Monty Python,Capability Brown,Joburg Hawk and many more.

More samplers I say.

A few years ago a CD came out which was a compilation of most of the tracks from Nice Enough To Eat and another sampler called You Can All Join In, cunningly entitled Nice Enough To Join In. They missed out 21st Century Schizoid Man though. 
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2008 at 08:23
When I started buying records in the late 1960s early 1970s,all that I could afford were label sampler albums.In those days,labels like Vertigo,Island and Charisma would release albums made up of tracks by the artists on the labels roster.
The first of these that I bought was an Island sampler called.Nice Enough to Eat.This contained tracks by Jethro Tull,Nick Drake,Fairport Convention,Mott the Hoople and King Crimson.I know that the odd track by a band isn't necessarily a reflection on the rest of their output but it was enough to influence me to buy the studio albums by the bands that I was intrugued by.

Island and Charisma released some excellent sampler albums other than the one I've already mentioned.For instance,Charisma brought out a sampler called One More Chance.This included the 7'' single version of Genesis' Seven Stones,tracks by Monty Python,Capability Brown,Joburg Hawk and many more.

More samplers I say.

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2008 at 07:48
I'd tend to agree with Raff & Jean as far as live albums as an introduction to a band is concerned; it's the way I've always gone & thus far has rarely steered me wrong.

A couple of recommendations for 'best of' albums though:

Pink Floyd - Echoes; remixed completely by David Gilmour in such a way as it almost comes across as a single piece of work, with the tracks not put down chronologically, but in such a way as to compliment the song before & afterward (and finally putting 'Shine On...' together as a single 17 minute piece)

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2008 at 05:51
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Yes, I skip some fillers once in a while luike More Fool Me, but what sense would make  a great song like Into the Cage outside The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway even if it's followed by The Musical Box? There must be a reasobn why The Lamb was played completely on stage.

Iván

Counting Out Time and The Carpet Crawlers were released as singles so the idea of one cohesive piece of work couldn't have been that important to Genesis (or at least less important than record company pressure).

If songs aren't capable of standing on their own or don't make sense outwith the confines of the original album, are they really so good?

Anyway, another compilation I heartily recommend (although not prog) is Decades by Neil Young.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2008 at 01:37

But at least yo have the album the way the artist believed it had to be released, in the order and with the mood it was created, More Fool Me IMHO is a filler, so doesn't make much sense in SEBTP, which BTW is the album with a more eclectoic atmosphere, you have good and bad soings, dark and light ones all mixed together, compared with the dark hunting Trespass or the pasive aggressive  NUursery Cryme, you can't find something that holds the album together as a concept or at least a preeminent mood.

Now...If I had bought  "Turn it on Again The Hits" I would not bought any other Genesis album. Two vocalists, two guitarists, one Gabriel song lost between No Son of Mine and Abacab and one Dance mix of  a Lamb song taken out of it's context.

That's an avberration, Pop fans will hate Prog songs (Well, only one poppy Prog track) and Prog fans wouldn't waste their time or money.

Yes, I skip some fillers once in a while luike More Fool Me, but what sense would make  a great song like Into the Cage outside The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway even if it's followed by The Musical Box? There must be a reasobn why The Lamb was played completely on stage.

IMO most compilations are a waste of money and useless to have an idea of the band, unless you want to listen the most popular tracks.

Iván

MusicalSalmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 22:24

Pink Floyd's Echoes had too much emphasis on The Division Bell and there are songs from many albums missing :/

WideAngleWatcher View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 19:33
If we're talking specifically about Prog bands it's hard, as a few people have mentioned Pink Floyd's Echoes is brilliant as it covers most of the band's career and doesn't just go for the obvious. However with some bands in a bid to be commercially successful greatest hits packages do not give a proper overview of the band's career which is never a good thing if the person who buys the greatest hits then decides to buy a proper album and is hit with a huge shock when a 25 minute song crops up.
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 16:56
I agree with many that compilations are no good, but live albums sure can be.

Magma's Live/Hhai deserves a nod, both a great introduction and an essential album.
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 15:40
I think they're extremely dangerous. I started experimenting with Kansas (one of my favourite bands) through a compilation album, and I was disgusted. Took me another year until I turned to a Kansas album again, mostly out of boredom. That one was Point of Know Return, quickly followed by Masque and Song for America with Leftoverture as the finale.

Better to search around at places like this and go for an album which is said to "represent" the specific sound of a band, and then you can delve deeper into their discography.
fighting sleep View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 13:48
Originally posted by moodyxadi moodyxadi wrote:

Originally posted by fighting sleep fighting sleep wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I believe "best ofs" are always the wrong approach to getting to know a band because they are not the artistic vision of the band and don't convey the songs in proper context.

Instead of buying an illigitimate release that cannot convey the full content of any one given album theme, musically or lyrically, just do this.  If you can't afford to buy many titles by a band, do a little research and you can quickly find out what fans consider the "definitive" releases by each band.  It's not tough to do.  Then, buy one of their good albums.  You'll get a legit piece of art, and you'll find out whether you like the band. 
There is no need to buy some hodgepodge of songs that have no organic relation to each other, other than record company doofs assured they were the chosen tracks on the radio. 

Clap words that my heart means to say.

However, as happenstance goes, it was a compilation album, Pink Floyd's "Echoes" that launched me into Prog in the first place. The third disc of Genesis' Platinum Collection gives a great taste of our favorite Gabriel stuff, and I personally believe that with ELP, there is no better place to start then the Best of or Essentials (if you like the smorgasbord of quirkiness there, then their actual albums will be a real treat).

One of my favorite methods of amassing music is get an Essentials album of a band that I'm unsure about, and if I like it, begin gradually to collect their albums, deleting the repeats from the Essentials list on my iPod as I go. That way I appreciate their songs individually, as well as better appreciating their place on their respective albums.

Well, If I'm aware of some band's artistic value and general style (based on reviews from people that seems to get a taste next to mine and samples) I never buy a 'best of'. But if the band in question seems to be interesting but there is strong disagreement about its value (in my case: Styx) I try to get acess to a best of like the "Essential"s collection or a live album - what is a lot better in most cases. But Imagine if someone wants to discover what's the noise about Deep Purple and buy the Made in Japan album; all the pre-Gillan and Coverdale-Hughes material are off. Made in Japan is probably one of the three best live albums ever, but don't you think that the albums Burn, Stormbringer and at least Hush and some songs from their third album have importance?

I know that in progressive rock terms a representative "best of" is complicated to build, and that's the reason why I'm used to buy compilations only from pop-rock or hard rock bands. Nazareth's GH and Grand Funk's 21st century masters presented these bands very well to me, and gave me clues to start exploring their regular albums.  That's one of the reasons that make me believe that, after a good research, it's possible to start exploring a new sound within the limits of a best of album.
Very true. If I hadn't grown up with my father playing songs off of "Echoes", but still got into prog rock, i would never start there with Pink Floyd. I'd probably get Dark Side of the Moon, and see how it went from there.

But another factor that particularly affects me is availability. I don't generally like ordering things from amazon if I don't have to. But when I try to search for great seventies prog acts, a lot of what I'll find are just these best of collections. So, for convenience and the other aforementioned reasons, I'll get the best of album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 12:02
I nearly forgot about my introduction to early Pink Floyd. At the start of the 80s, Relics was available on the budget Music for Pleasure label and within the reach of my meagre finances. I spent hours as a teenager listening to it in the dark. Wonderful!

Edited by A B Negative - February 28 2008 at 12:02
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>