Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: "elitist avant-proggers"
    Posted: November 18 2008 at 16:51
7 pages of debate, and postions have clearly become entrenched. While some have solidered on in a valiant effort to keep the debate focused, others have decided that the only opinion which matters is their own.

Time to call a halt I think.
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 14:54
^ Very good point.
KingCrimson250 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 14:39
The above page of posts aside... LOL

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I agree with most of yor post, except with onme sentence:

Originally posted by KingCrimson250 KingCrimson250 wrote:

That being said, there is some merit to saying that avant-prog ...  requires more knowledge to fully understand.

I simply don't think so, knowledge has nothing to do with what music you LIKE, you might have full studies, play Bach as the angels, but still hate the music with all your guts.

On the other hand I told this before, I have a cousin with low intelligence (bellow borderline), he can't work, but comunicates well, he can't make a simple addition, somebody suggested that because he loved good music he could be what we call a "brilliant idiot" so his mother bought him a guitar and hired teachers, he tried for years and I had to buy his guitar because it was iimpossible for him, so he is a common borderline with nothing special.

He hasn't the slightest musical education or knowledge, but he loves Henry Cow as much as early Genesis or Karda Estra and he understands it, I guess by instinct.

His two sisters with complete musical education in the Conservatory listen only what's on the radio.

So intelligence or knowledge has nothing to do with musical taste.

Iván

That's exactly my point. Avant-prog requires more knowledge to fully understand. I said nothing about its enjoyment. I can understand avant-prog and not enjoy it, or I can not understand avant-prog and enjoy it. But the fact is that it is one of the most difficult forms of modern music to understand, and as a result generally requires a significant amount of musical knowledge to be able to dissect and analyze. Perhaps some can do so intuitively, but that itself is a form of knowledge, I would argue. Again, the central point is that one's ability to understand avant-prog and one's enjoyment of avant-prog are two factors that aren't all that strongly related, and as a result, for someone to take on an elitist attitude because they happen to enjoy it is completely irrational.

Edited by KingCrimson250 - November 18 2008 at 14:40
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 13:38
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

- (I am certainly receptive to avant garde eventhough I'm probably one of the most pop-centric listeners here)

I can certainly make an argument for laying claim to the title of Most Pop-centric PA listener.

avalanchemaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 13:25
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

Originally posted by el dingo el dingo wrote:

Mr Dingo did read the thread. He chose to agree with the other posters who advocated freedom of choice for all, but added his own musical examples to try and agree with these posters in an individual fashion.

I do not believe my post to be irrelevant to the thread; you and everyone else within the forum are totally free to disagree with me.

Its not about disagreeing. I wish it was. I hope this forum can be a little less about reading basically the same thing over and over. Those endless posts by everyone congratulating eachother on having the same, correct opinion.  I'm so bored I even find Avalanchemaster's stupid/insulting comments slightly refreshing.

Jeje... know I don't have to be here, and that I can just leave.

subjectivity once again.
I may find your posts stupid/insulting.  you find mine.....

however they were not intended to be thus.....even if that is how you found them.  You are not entirely in control if you cannot see all angles.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 13:22
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

Originally posted by avalanchemaster avalanchemaster wrote:

what's spineless is you resorting to ad hominem attacks (Atavachron) that are directed at me, merely because I see this thread as counter-productive and rather cyclically boring..... that IS my contribution.  take it or leave it.

everything is subjective in this case....my experience has been contributed.

elitism exists everywhere.  Your reply was elitist in itself Atavachron.  If elitism means enjoying musically "challenging" or "unpopular" music that is "noise" to some, than call me an elitist....I don't care.  I just know I like the music.  that was my main point.  Less talk, more avant prog!

Smile

What makes Atavy's post elitist?
I don't see it.

*suspects that now I question someone calling someone else an elitist, my post will twisting into calling me an elitist too*Ermm

The problem was, after so many productive posts to this thread, your post was utterly devoid of being constructive, so it's no surprise Atavy reacted in that way to be honest.

it was meant to be "deconstructive" on purpose.  maybe you did not get that.  I am not trying to add anything to the original topic....only that online debates get rather silly.....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 13:19
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Then why not "further the cause" and develop the original argument logically or prove the conjecture wrong and thus refute it. At the present all that has happened since I re-opened this thread is stereotypes have been reinforced and no (for want of a beter word) better arguments have been proposed.

because I do not see an endless and pointless debate as furthering the cause, which you would  have discovered had you understood my first point.  online debates are retarded.  It just boils down to a bunch of people with self-esteem problems seeking exterior validation by way of their "superior logic/intellligence" and is a foolish endeavor.  That is nice that you have an opinion....but it is in no way better than mine.  All is subjective, hence there is no need to argue.  It is too bad if you do not understand this point of view, but at least respect it.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 07:09
Then why not "further the cause" and develop the original argument logically or prove the conjecture wrong and thus refute it. At the present all that has happened since I re-opened this thread is stereotypes have been reinforced and no (for want of a beter word) better arguments have been proposed.

Lappy's basic premis that (the) "avant is for elitists" angle has never made sense is probably sound and perfectly valid - (I am certainly receptive to avant garde eventhough I'm probably one of the most pop-centric listeners here) - but the evidence for that has not shown itself here yet.
What?
el dingo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 06:50
Completely agree with you - there's nothing worse than being bored.

Probably like you, this is my last post on this thread. Time to listen to something interesting, I think.Smile
It's not that I can't find worth in anything, it's just that I can't find worth in enough.
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 06:39

Mr Dingo did read the thread. He chose to agree with the other posters who advocated freedom of choice for all, but added his own musical examples to try and agree with these posters in an individual fashion.

I do not believe my post to be irrelevant to the thread; you and everyone else within the forum are totally free to disagree with me.

Its not about disagreeing. I wish it was. I hope this forum can be a little less about reading basically the same thing over and over. Those endless posts by everyone congratulating eachother on having the same, correct opinion.  I'm so bored I even find Avalanchemaster's stupid/insulting comments slightly refreshing.

Jeje... know I don't have to be here, and that I can just leave.
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
el dingo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 05:15
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

Just found this thread. Hmmm.

Its not enough to just find the thread Mr. Dingo, you need to read some of it too. That would have prevented you to write almost the exact same thing as many posters has done before you.

As a professional journalist I don't generally write anything without doing my research.

That, surely, is what a forum is all about, as in the original Roman sense of the word. But I suppose a guy who scraped a 2:2 in History would say something crass like that.
It's not that I can't find worth in anything, it's just that I can't find worth in enough.
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 05:02

Its not enough to just find the thread Mr. Dingo, you need to read some of it too. That would have prevented you to write almost the exact same thing as many posters has done before you.
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
el dingo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 04:21

General response:

Music is the proverbial chocolate box. You pick what you like, you leave the rest.

IE I like Canterbury but dislike Yes. I love Guru Guru but abhor Marillion.

I also like heavy and blues, Rich Kids, the Faces, the Clash and the Manics, but it doesn't mean I don't love my prog, too.

But if you like Yes and Marillion, good luck to you - music is inextricably linked to freedom and it's not really on to sl*g people for liking what you don't or the other way round. Lighten up and enjoy whatever you're into - I'm a relative newcomer and to me the best thing about the forums is sharing knowledge and finding others who share your tastes, not bashing those who like something different.

My good lady's into Motown and 80s electropop but it doesn't mean I'd kick her out of... Oh never mind! 

russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 03:54
edit: must not snap at troll.

Edited by russellk - November 18 2008 at 03:59
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 02:22
Originally posted by avalanchemaster avalanchemaster wrote:

what's spineless is you resorting to ad hominem attacks (Atavachron) that are directed at me, merely because I see this thread as counter-productive and rather cyclically boring..... that IS my contribution.  take it or leave it.

elitism exists everywhere.  Your reply was elitist in itself Atavachron.  If elitism means enjoying musically "challenging" or "unpopular" music that is "noise" to some, than call me an elitist....I don't care.  I just know I like the music.  that was my main point.  Less talk, more avant prog!

Smile

What makes Atavy's post elitist?
I don't see it.

*suspects that now I question someone calling someone else an elitist, my post will twisting into calling me an elitist too*Ermm

The problem was, after so many productive posts to this thread, your post was utterly devoid of being constructive, so it's no surprise Atavy reacted in that way to be honest.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 02:13

Smile
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 01:28
 ^ yes, especially to those who don't have the backbone to contribute something productive

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 01:15
I'm sorry guys but I would rather listen to musical masturbation a la Avant Prog than read verbal masturbation ad absurdum as evidenced in this thread!  what a joke!

LOL

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 00:27
I agree with most of yor post, except with onme sentence:

Originally posted by KingCrimson250 KingCrimson250 wrote:

That being said, there is some merit to saying that avant-prog ...  requires more knowledge to fully understand.

I simply don't think so, knowledge has nothing to do with what music you LIKE, you might have full studies, play Bach as the angels, but still hate the music with all your guts.

On the other hand I told this before, I have a cousin with low intelligence (bellow borderline), he can't work, but comunicates well, he can't make a simple addition, somebody suggested that because he loved good music he could be what we call a "brilliant idiot" so his mother bought him a guitar and hired teachers, he tried for years and I had to buy his guitar because it was iimpossible for him, so he is a common borderline with nothing special.

He hasn't the slightest musical education or knowledge, but he loves Henry Cow as much as early Genesis or Karda Estra and he understands it, I guess by instinct.

His two sisters with complete musical education in the Conservatory listen only what's on the radio.

So intelligence or knowledge has nothing to do with musical taste.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - November 18 2008 at 00:31

KingCrimson250 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2008 at 20:41
Thanks everyone.

Anyway, to tie this all back to the original topic, I guess it all goes to say that listening to avant-garde, RIO, zeuhl, etc, doesn't actually make the listener better than those who don't listen to this music. I am also under the impression that there are many fans of this sub-genre who do not suggest this. Evidently there are some who do, but I think to associate elitism with avant-prog is an unfair generalization.

That being said, there is some merit to saying that avant-prog is more complex than many other sub-genres of prog and requires more knowledge to fully understand. I think this is objectively measurable. But again, this does not fully determine the intellect of those who enjoy it. Perhaps if one is simply unable to grasp the music (if it is over their head, so to speak), then yes, this may speak to a lower degree of musical cerebral faculties (or whatever) on their part. However, it is entirely possible for someone to be able to fully understand the music and still dislike it - or for someone to enjoy it even if they have no idea what's going on. So I can certainly understand the angle behind avant-prog elitism, but I completely disagree with it. What I've heard of Zeuhl, RIO, etc, I've thoroughly enjoyed, but let us pretend for a moment that this were not true - suppose I hated it. That would not make my taste in music inferiour. Like Mozart, I appreciate the objective qualities - I just don't like the music.

I'm sorry, I seem to have lost my train of thought. But I think I got the point across, more or less. If not, feel free to ask for clarification on any issue. Or argue. Whichever you'd prefer, really.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>