Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAffinity for Reviewers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2007 at 21:52
I've always wondered about Drain-o too, if he hangs in the forums?   I find his ratings to be generally very accurate.  

Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2007 at 22:01
As long as I researched, Drain-o is a French photographer that worked with M. Cousteau and due to his prog-rock appreciation was left in the almost desert island of Bouvet, in the South Atlantic together with the Norwegian garrison that deploys there, however Drain-o is the only permanent resident there... Tongue

Edited by Atkingani - October 02 2007 at 22:01
Guigo

~~~~~~
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2007 at 22:20
actually Bouvet has a little known but thriving prog scene..     Tongue

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2007 at 10:48
Originally posted by emdiar emdiar wrote:

Once upon a time, long long ago, a thread was started (I know not by whom) which posed the question, "Does a review influence your opinion", to which I replied, "Yes, but only of the reviewer."

With this in mind, and recognising that tastes vary hugely between site members, which (fellow?) reviewer seems to be most "on the same page" as yourself? For me personally, I have to say Blacksword.

Sure, he only gave Green (Hillage) 4 stars, when it's a blatant 5 star album, and "Script" got half a star too many for my taste, but on the whole, I feel a definite affinity, prog-wise.

Peter is also way up there, plus, I like his style, and appreciation of folk.

I don't want to know who you consider a tasteless heretic, only who you regard as a person of sound musical judgement.

em.

Thanks emdiar. I have often felt from our discussions that we are on a similar page.

With regard to 'Green' it's an album that blew my mind when I first heard it. I discovered it at the same time as the Ozrics, and was listening to a lot of ambient music. It went with my mood very well. I probably would have awarded 5 stars back then, but hey there was no Progarchives then.. My review of 'Green' is quite recent, and my perspective is slightly different I guess. An excellent album nonetheless, as is Live Herald, my old vinyl copy of which still gets frequent plays. Salmon Sing! Wow!

debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2007 at 07:39
I do find a few that will usually make me read just about all their reviews - Gatot, Atavchron, Ivan, Sean Trane, and some others. Mind you, having gone through the alphabetical listings this spring & summer, I think Sean has written too many "short" reviews, & I'm still mystified about reviewing albums listened to 15-20 years ago.
I still peruse non-collabs & non-admin reviews. The good ones will give off a spark about a certain album or group that will pique my curiosity enough to want to sample the music.
I must add one clarification here though - a good review goes beyond raving about how this or that group is just so excellent , blah blah blah. It includes some comparisons, some musical guideposts, along with some personal attachment to said music.
The perfect example that I've some across is Night Sun. Many reviews, but just guest reviews. Which I find strange as this is one heck of an early 70s heavy prog gem.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234