Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - "Best ofs" and "Greatest Hits" as an introduction
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Best ofs" and "Greatest Hits" as an introduction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Best ofs" and "Greatest Hits" as an introduction
    Posted: February 27 2008 at 10:56
Reading the Kansas and Toto topic I saw that some of the members had trouble with Kansas due to the bad introduction to the band (the old Best of Kansas). This topic wants to colect references from the members about good and bad "best ofs" albums (no boxes) or, if there's no other reference available, live albums that can summarize to the newbie the style and work of a band.

The first examples that come to mind:

Good: Styx's "Greatest Hits" (show how is the band's sound - if you don't like it you probably won't like anything more from Styx).

Bad: Pink Floyd's "A collection of great dance songs" - although absolute gems as "Shine on...", "Money" and "Sheep" are present, the whole period from 1967 to 1972 receives a single mention with OoTD.

In my case I was lucky to insist with Pink Floyd and discover that the 67-73 era was my favourite. With Styx I feel a real taste of the band with the collection mentioned above, and listenig to their albums only show me that for my tastes the GH is all that I need.

I'd apreciatte suggestions about the contemporary "prog giants" as I'm not well informed of what is really great about them (only post-rock and some electronic things touch me from the 90's and 00's prog).
Bach, Ma, Bros, Déia, Dante.
ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 11:06
Doesn't King Crimson have a great one?
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 11:13
Pink Floyds Echoes and Queensryche's Greatest Hits make for very good compilations that give a strong feel for the band as an overall, rather than just the obvious few songs.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 13:04
I believe "best ofs" are always the wrong approach to getting to know a band because they are not the artistic vision of the band and don't convey the songs in proper context.

Instead of buying an illigitimate release that cannot convey the full content of any one given album theme, musically or lyrically, just do this.  If you can't afford to buy many titles by a band, do a little research and you can quickly find out what fans consider the "definitive" releases by each band.  It's not tough to do.  Then, buy one of their good albums.  You'll get a legit piece of art, and you'll find out whether you like the band. 
There is no need to buy some hodgepodge of songs that have no organic relation to each other, other than record company doofs assured they were the chosen tracks on the radio. 

The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 13:14
Black Sabbath the very best of.... It's all Ozzy era (the best) and having almost the two first albums (the best ones) complete. It's great. Pink Floyd Echoes very good too.
I think Greatest Hits will never be good cause being Greatest Hits, meaning AOR songs from the band mainly. Except if you're talking of pop bands.

The best of.. alwawys depend, there maybe some very good like Sabbath's and other really bad like Genesis. And others that depends what you're looking for like Yes 35th anniversary, I think it's good cause it briefs all their period. Okay there not maybe some very good but still has some.
everyone View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 13:18
I like the King Crimson "greatest hits" collections.  They have a good overview of the different stages of the band.  Kansas' greatest hits makes me puke(the boxed set is much better).  Styx had two greatest hits packages because they were on two different labels during the 70's.   The Styx "sound" that we know an love really did not come to being until their third album called "The Serpent is Rising."   I do not own a lot of greatest hits packages if I own the band's complete collection.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 13:40
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Pink Floyds Echoes and Queensryche's Greatest Hits make for very good compilations that give a strong feel for the band as an overall, rather than just the obvious few songs.

Seconded (I've got both albums).  However, in my humble opinion live albums can be a much more effective way to get introduced to a band. To make a recent example, Caravan's wonderful The Show of Our Lives, which features live recordings from 1969 to 1975 (the heyday of the band's career), is even better than a simple "Greatest Hits". Rush's numerous live albums are also an excellent means of introduction to the band's vast output.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 13:42
^ agreed ... live albums would be the best 'introduction' especially in prog. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
mellors View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 14:00
When Im trying to get into a band I tend to listen to their most popular album first (looking at Lastfm or this website) as this tends to be the best mix between quality and accessibility. Hasnt failed me too badly so far. I usually only buy greatest hits of artists I would listen to once in a while rather than frequently.

Edited by mellors - February 27 2008 at 14:02
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 14:05
Originally posted by mellors mellors wrote:

When Im trying to get into a band I tend to listen to their most popular album first (looking at Lastfm or this website) as this tends to be the best mix between quality and accessibility. Hasnt failed me too badly so far. I usually only buy greatest hits of artists I would listen to once in a while rather than frequently.

Same..
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 14:07
I think that it depends on the live album.  There are plenty of live albums where all the bands play are their greatest hits.  In the case of Rush, the bonus of a live album is that you also get a Neil Peart drum solo which doesn't appear on the regular albums or greatest hits albums.  The thing with a live album is that many times they are double albums and therefore cover more songs than a one CD greatest hits package.  There are some decent 2 CD greatest hit packages like Rush's Chronicles or their Retrospective, although one but not both would be required, since they cover most of the same songs.  Personally, I was introduced to some of the best known prog bands by greatest hits packages, and then expanded from there.  I bought the Best of ELP, Classic Yes, and 20 Years of Jethro Tull, liked what I heard and expanded to the rest of their discographies.  Granted I had heard many of the songs on the radio but having the songs on one disc  kind of put it together for me that they were good bands.  Sure the discs aren't "representative" of the band's most proggiest tracks, but most of those are too long to put onto a compilation album like that.  Box sets work better to this extent because it exposes the listener to more songs but that is generally an expensive investment for a band that you might not know anything about.

Coming from me however, this post of mine doesn't mean much because I am an odd duck here on PA, who likes and sometimes prefers these prog bands poppier moments so I tend to enjoy the songs that appear on the greatest hits packages. 

Also, I agree to an extent with Finnforest's post regarding songs being taken out of their context on a greatest hits album and not having the correct flow of songs that the artist intended.  To me this is more obvious, obviously, in the case of concept albums where the album is telling a story and the song is only part of the story.  But the greatest hits album still gives a newbie the chance to hear the song to see if it sounds like something worth fully pursuing. 

Edited by rushfan4 - February 27 2008 at 14:09
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 14:27
I hate all forms of compilations, best ofs and greatest hits. Now when I want to find a Genesis or Yes record in the store, all I find are greatest hit collections. Prog rock is an album-oriented genre, and should be experienced as such. If someone doesn't like it in that form, then they don't like prog rock.
Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 15:26
Greatest hits can be good and bad...sometimes there are a couple unreleased songs or rare cuts on them..like a lot of obscure Alice Cooper "Greatest Hits" albums that I come across sometimes have some rare cuts I have never seen before.

I also like the title of Dream Theater's "Greatest Hits" album coming out in April, or March..I forget. It's called "Dream Theater's Greatest Hit....and 21 other pretty cool songs", considering "Pull Me Under" was their only "Hit", I find it funny LOL, there will also be some rare radio edits on that as well.

I am against "Greatest Hits" cd's when the artist takes only their "Hit" songs and puts them on a cd without anything extra....It's like making a mix...anyone can do it.
sean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 15:31
Personally, I'm not a fan of greatest hits compilations. The songs feel out of context to me and I'd rather hear them on the original album as they were meant to be. Plus, my favourite songs from a band tend to be the deeper cuts and not the "hits" so I prefer getting the original albums. I know some people like to have the hits but I guess that's just not how I am. If I were to want a compilation of a band I just make myself a mix that has what I would view as their "hits" 
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 15:36
Originally posted by p0mt3 p0mt3 wrote:

I hate all forms of compilations, best ofs and greatest hits. Now when I want to find a Genesis or Yes record in the store, all I find are greatest hit collections. Prog rock is an album-oriented genre, and should be experienced as such. If someone doesn't like it in that form, then they don't like prog rock.

I love strong opinions like these but I have to disagree. After having listened extensively to plenty of prog albums all the way through, I've grown dissatisfied with the make-up of certain albums, and so have made my own mixtapes from them. Gentle Giant work particularly well when you get to re-do their track orders.

I won't apologise for removing tracks from their original contexts because I don't care. ;P I much prefer songs to albums and concepts be damned, because at the last, concepts rarely affect the music *positively*. Secondly, bands like Floyd and ELP don't have entire albums that I like, so I reconstitute them at will.

PS, wasn't that Tool album deliberately distributed with the wrong track order? Or was that a joke? =P
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 15:38
Keep in mind that this thread was regarding an introduction to a band.  Obviously if you have all or most of the albums there is absolutely no reason to buy a compilation unless you are a collector or your really want the "bonus" tracks that can't be found any where else.  But if you are new to a band how is the best way to get introduced to them.  One way is greatest hits.  Another way as already mentioned is to find the best albums based on others' posts or the reviews here on PA.  The problem with others' posts is that you can go to just about any thread here in the forum and find some people who think that the band's "best" albums suck, and their "worst" albums are great.  It is all a matter of personal taste.  By supporting greatest hits albums, I am ignoring the ability to illegally download albums, but a better more legal method would be to go to sites like Napster which allow you to listen to songs 3 times, that way you can listen to the album as it was meant to be heard.
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 15:54
That's true. =) I think Ghost Rider was right when she said that live CDs were a better account of a band's work, even for a newcomer.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 15:57
Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

Originally posted by p0mt3 p0mt3 wrote:

I love strong opinions like these but I have to disagree. After having listened extensively to plenty of prog albums all the way through, I've grown dissatisfied with the make-up of certain albums, and so have made my own mixtapes from them. Gentle Giant work particularly well when you get to re-do their track orders.

I won't apologise for removing tracks from their original contexts because I don't care. ;P I much prefer songs to albums and concepts be damned, because at the last, concepts rarely affect the music *positively*. Secondly, bands like Floyd and ELP don't have entire albums that I like, so I reconstitute them at will.

PS, wasn't that Tool album deliberately distributed with the wrong track order? Or was that a joke? =P

Well, the vinyl edition (Which I also have, so I know this to be true) has an alternate track order than the CD edition, but in that sense, the band still did it intentionally, for some purpous or another (Mostly to get the prog elitists masturbating at their own coolness for discovering this "clearly intelligent meaning that is presented through re-arranging the track orders").

What I'm talking about is . . . if you want to start someone liking Prog properly, you should play them whole albums, or at least selections from whole albums rather than play them mixed-up trash that TimeLife decided to release once they obtained the rights to "some old art rock band"'s material.

But then again, that it only my opinion. I'm not trying to sound like an elitist, but I am a purist to a certain extent; especially when it comes to albums vs. profesionally-licenced mix tapes that have no direction.

Since Prog Rock is often written with a certain intent, the least one could do is respect that intent and play an actual studio release from said artist, regardless of how you feel about concepts within themselves. I was introduced to Prog properly: with whole albums being played to me, and I liked it because it was different from what I was used to. Had I heard a compilation disc with selections mashed together from different eras of the band's career, I seriousely doubt "Another Brick in the Wall" or "The Fish" would mean what they do to me now, since neither song has a proper beginning without hearing what came before them.

Edited by p0mt3 - February 27 2008 at 15:59
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 16:50
I'm not a fan of compilations. Some work and some don't, but I prefer actual albums. Even if it isn't a concept, the songs were written together, so they belong together. Another issue is wasting money. I have had compilations that made me want to explore the band further. Once I had real albums, I never listened to the compilation. So I was stuck with it.

Edited by bhikkhu - February 27 2008 at 16:51
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 17:18
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Seconded (I've got both albums).  However, in my humble opinion live albums can be a much more effective way to get introduced to a band. To make a recent example, Caravan's wonderful The Show of Our Lives, which features live recordings from 1969 to 1975 (the heyday of the band's career), is even better than a simple "Greatest Hits". Rush's numerous live albums are also an excellent means of introduction to the band's vast output.

Agreed about the live albums, I got into Marillion via the Real to Reel/ Brief Encounter double CD release, and theres a number of great performances of some of their best songs on their, making it an excellent introduction.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>