Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGildenlow Ticks Me Off

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2008 at 15:08
Originally posted by Avantgardehead Avantgardehead wrote:

Originally posted by WinterLight WinterLight wrote:

It just seems hilariously hypocritical and pretentious to me. If I were all of the sudden anti-capitalist, I'd put all my music on my website to be freely downloaded.

And you'd probably starve.

Obviously not since I have a job and other investments at the moment.

I don't dislike the album or the guy because he's "using his resources", it's just the irony of venomously damning selling things while turning around and selling things like music, politics, and sleaze that irks me.

And you'd obviously not be anti-capitalist if you had a job and investments.  Ironic, yes.  Hypocritical, no.  If Gildenlow was singing about this stuff and making money on it, but didn't actually believe any of it (but was selling it to people who did), THAT would be hypocrisy.  As it is, he has to make a living somehow, and giving his albums away isn't going to do it.  He's a musician, so to survive in the world right now, he has no choice but to sell his music (assuming he still wants to be a musician and not beg on street corners).

Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2008 at 15:30
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

If Gildenlow was singing about this stuff and making money on it, but didn't actually believe any of it (but was selling it to people who did), THAT would be hypocrisy.

This is where it becomes iffy since this is a concept album written from a fictitious character's point-of-view, so he might not believe any of it but he might. A bit of a gray area, I think.
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
Desoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2008 at 15:36
This thread is becoming perhaps the most shallow debate over political philosophy that I've ever encountered. Let's just make two things clear:

1) Not even communists are against making money. They just advocate another system of distribution of that income (and, incidentally, one that is totally inefficient and useless and which lowers productivity).

2) If Gildenlöw would have had "making money" as his number one preoccupation, he would have been playing something other than progressive metal.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2008 at 20:10

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

If Gildenlow was singing about this stuff and making money on it, but didn't actually believe any of it (but was selling it to people who did), THAT would be hypocrisy.

This is where it becomes iffy since this is a concept album written from a fictitious character's point-of-view, so he might not believe any of it but he might. A bit of a gray area, I think.

Well listen to PoS's other albums, we know that he's pretty much anti- capitalist but Scarsick is just that much more extreme for the sake of the concept. Unless he's been BSing for more than 10 years streight in his albums and all over the web then we can safely assume that this isnt a grey area.

What I cant understand is your all or nothing attitude..
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2008 at 03:25
Quote What I cant understand is your all or nothing attitude..

Eh, that's how I am. I have my views and you all have yours, so let's all just move along.

http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123