Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Let's Talk About Fond Of Tigers - Cont. & Western
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLet's Talk About Fond Of Tigers - Cont. & Western

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Let's Talk About Fond Of Tigers - Cont. & Western
    Posted: November 15 2011 at 14:59
Alright folks, I am going to retry an old idea.  I would like to talk about the 2010 release Continent & Western from Canadian Eclectic Prog band Fond of Tigers.  For those of you that are interested in discovering a new lesser known band and are tired of talking about Genesis, Yes, Rush, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, ELP, and Porcupine Tree here is your chance.  The album can be streamed in full on the band's Bandcamp page here.  http://fondoftigers.bandcamp.com/album/continent-western  If you like it, it can be purchased from the band for $6.  If you really like what you hear, their 2 prior albums A Thing To Live With and Release The Saviours are also available on Bandcamp.  There are only a combined 10 reviews of their 3 albums here on PA, and I think that they really deserve to be known better within our community.  They are an experimental 7-piece mostly instrumental band that include saxophone, trumpet, and violin for those that are tired of the same old guitar-bass-keyboard drum formula.  Here is their PA page if you want more info on them.  http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=3554

Anyhow, my hope is that you will check them out and that some of you will discover a new band that you enjoy.  Since the music can be listened to for free it doesn't cost you a dime unless you want it to, and it will maybe help the PA forums a little bit in getting out of a rut that it seems to be in. 

It is up to you, my fellow forumites to give this album/band a listen and then report back here in this thread what you think.  Hopefully good but respectfully done bad thoughts are also welcome. 

For those that do or don't remember by previous attempt at this, below are links to the prior threads for some albums that maybe you missed at the time, but wouldn't mind discovering or discussing now.

Have fun.

Thank you,

Scott

Edited by rushfan4 - November 23 2011 at 08:54
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2011 at 15:06
Listening now Thumbs Up
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2011 at 15:08
I actually really liked this album and Actress by Lobster Newberg.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2011 at 15:30
It is disappointing compared to the previous ones.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2011 at 15:36
What didn't you like about it compared to the previous two? 

I just listened to this album for the first time after starting the thread.  I've not listened to their first two albums in quite awhile.  I don't remember them having vocals on the first two, but I may just not remember them.  Overall my first impression was that it was a pretty good album.  I didn't enjoy some of the saxophone screeches but these seem to appeal to other way more than they appeal to me, so that might be a good thing for many PAers. 

It will be my goal to give this album multiple listens over the next couple of weeks so that I get to know the album better and hopefully some of you may do the same so that a nice dialogue can be had. Big smile
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2011 at 15:41
I can't be arsed to I don't know. I don't remember it. It got the two spins any new album I listened to gets and then off was it written. But I definitely like the previous two albums. So, yeah, thumbs up for Fond of Tigers, overall.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2011 at 15:44
I´m glad you did this ScottClap

About FOT: Been listening to the album, and I really like it. So cool to have a trumpet in the front of the band like they have. Really adds a quirkiness to it that I enjoy. Although often related to fusion acts - I find it more cabaret like here and slightly disorienting - in a good way though.
I am currently fond of tigers. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2011 at 15:58
I wonder if those "Saxophone" screeches that I was referring to above were actually trumpet screeches. LOL 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2011 at 16:08
Hehe - they just might be. Either way, they sound great. I love it when wind players push their instruments to the point, where they start resembling tortured felines - albeit in a slightly more melodic way.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2011 at 16:22
I see on the band's website that they actually won a Juno Award this year for this album for best instrumental album in Canada.  Clap 

Fond of Tigers News

We won a Juno for INSTRUMENTAL ALBUM OF THE YEAR!

2011 Juno Awards

We recently won a JUNO for Instrumental Album of the Year. Here’s a picture of 5/7ths of us in one of the Juno holding cells after receiving the award.

Photo courtesy of CARAS/iPhoto Inc.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2011 at 16:37
Pretty cool.
And it certainly wasn´t their good looks and P-Diddy like appearance that helped them get thatLOL
Looks like a photo of the relaunching of an old school Nintendo console...

- Douglas Adams
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2011 at 17:39

I sent them questions for an interview a while ago and will now chase them up again.

Yes, there is a lot of socalled obscure bands here with as good albums as the top ten bands here in PA. The whole point of being in PA is to personally chase down these albums and get the musical experience of your life. That is why I am reviewing...... 

There is plenty of free great download albums around so go up to that thread, download and enjoy. 

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2011 at 18:00
They're a fantastic band and I thought their most recent album was excellent. Unlike Rico I still like it a lot even if the previous one was indeed better.

I wouldn't have expected you to like this kind of stuff Scott, hats off to you for trying them.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2011 at 19:12
I oughta check this out since I enjoyed Astra, Fromuz and Lobster Newberg.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2011 at 08:40
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

They're a fantastic band and I thought their most recent album was excellent. Unlike Rico I still like it a lot even if the previous one was indeed better.

I wouldn't have expected you to like this kind of stuff Scott, hats off to you for trying them.
I have their 1st two albums from back in my eMusic days from back when I had 90 downloads a month and was more open to downloading albums from PA bands that I wasn't familiar with.  I figure if I am going to try this again I might have to try bands more outside of my comfort zone in order to find some that might appeal more to the regular PAers and since I hadn't heard their new album yet I thought this might be a good one to start with.  If I recall, Avestin once recommended them too in one of his threads
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2011 at 15:49
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I wonder if those "Saxophone" screeches that I was referring to above were actually trumpet screeches. LOL 

They are.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2011 at 14:09
That is the problem sometimes with listening with half of an ear on laptop speakers while trying to get some work done.

Anyhow, time to give this one another spin with the full knowledge that it is trumpets screeching and not the VDGG strangled cat being resurrected. LOL
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2011 at 14:37
Damn.  I am pretty sure if you were to play the trumpet parts of Grandad in a small village in India you would scare the crap out of the villages as they would think that there was an elephant stampede coming.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 08:36
Oh well it is Monday morning and so I might as well continue on as one of those crazy people that talk to themselves.  Giving Continental and Western another spin.  Apparently, there is little need to bother with these string of threads again as they seem to attract very little interest and leave me feeling as though I am mostly wasting my time.  Which I suppose is all that I am doing by spending time on this site anyways is killing and wasting time.  Being that Fond of Tigers is a 7-piece act there is lots of room for "growing" with this album since there are 7 musicians playing it is pretty easy to see how easy it is to hear new things every time you spin it.  I am loving the percussion and drum work on this album.  I am still not much of a fan of the horns but I suppose they grow a little less screechy with each listen.
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 08:47
They are good music, and I personally enjoy your time-wasting posts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>