Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why does everyone hate The Battle Of Epping Forest
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why does everyone hate The Battle Of Epping Forest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2020 at 09:50
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I just dont get what's so offensively bad about More Fool Me

It is short and soon over, which is its saving grace. The same cannot be said for Epping Forest which drags on 5 or 6 minutes longer than its expiration date, hence its stench.

Not short enough, IMHO.

1- Even at the same length as (the much-better) For Absent Friends (1'30") it would still overstay its welcome by its entire duration.

2- MFM is totally out of context of the album's concept, which is about the collapse of the British Empire and the decadence of the English model.

3- musically, it's completely dire and dry (downright poor, I should be tempted to write), even when compared to the other less complex tracks (Wardrobe and Ordeal)

4- I'm not even sure Collins would find a spot for this MFM track on his 80's solo albums, however poor & suckish they would be.

I don't particularly care for "Poor Boy Pity For Me"...oh wait...that's a Linda Ronstadt song...I meant "More Fool Me". But regarding:

"2- MFM is totally out of context of the album's concept, which is about the collapse of the British Empire and the decadence of the English model."

I would suggest "Firth of Fifth" has literally nothing to do with that model, or the alleged concept of the album. It was basically written in 1972 by Banks and was rejected as part of Foxtrot. Firth of Fifth is a take-off on the River Forth in Scotland, not England. But I suppose if one were to look at the album as "it represented a decay of English folk culture and an increase in Americanisation", then the pastoral theme could be wedged in someway or another.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2020 at 10:01
Epping is not my fav Genesis song, but really haven´t ever hated it as also nothing else from the Gabriel-era. Only Genesis-album I don´t like at all is Calling All Stations.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2020 at 10:49
I have nothing against "More Fool Me". It's no masterpiece, but it's nice enough. Plus, in the overall picture it's a nice break from the more complex songs. It adds some balance to the album I guess.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2020 at 11:06
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

"2- MFM is totally out of context of the album's concept, which is about the collapse of the British Empire and the decadence of the English model."

I would suggest "Firth of Fifth" has literally nothing to do with that model, or the alleged concept of the album. It was basically written in 1972 by Banks and was rejected as part of Foxtrot. Firth of Fifth is a take-off on the River Forth in Scotland, not England. But I suppose if one were to look at the album as "it represented a decay of English folk culture and an increase in Americanisation", then the pastoral theme could be wedged in someway or another.

My parents having lived in Edimburg in the 80's , I'm fully aware that the Firth of Forth (much more of a gulf or a bay or estuary than a river, as Firth is a Scot derivate of Fjord) is in Scotland, but my take on Fifth (outside the play on word on "fourth") is that it reflects the mythology and lost grandeur of the British (read English) Empire (of which Scotland is one of the last piece with Wales & North Ireland), hence the reference to greek & roman mythology.Wink
Sands of time were eroded by constant change.

So yeah, FoF doesn't fit 100% into the concept, but at least musically, it doesn't deface SEBTP.

Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2020 at 14:52
I love More Fool Me. For a long time I vastly preferred it to Epping Forest. And I do think it can fit to the lyrical and musical concept of the record in that it sounds like a Medieval madrigal of sorts, Phil and Mike are just passing minstrels in the English countryside playing a sweet little love song for anyone who cares to hear. That's the sort of thing that would disappear with the Americanisation of England. It's also got really lovely guitar work in its own right, and Phil's voice was never sweeter (and brilliant harmonies too). At any rate, it certainly doesn't stick out as much as Whodunnit from Abacab. A little acoustic balladry is always welcome in my book.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2020 at 16:52
Yeah you gotta really nitpick to hate more fool me. It's a pleasant minimalist acoustic song. It isn't meant to be a firth of fifth or cinema show. The short tracks are important on the album to contrast the long centerpieces of the album.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 00:33

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Don't feel badly, I quite enjoy "Time Table" on Foxtrot, which earns me great malice amongst Genesis fans! 

"Epping Forest" is decent, but not a masterpiece.  Tony Banks does some great synth leads on that one.

I never knew people were supposed to not like Time Table, I do find it rather beautiful.

that is indeed a beautiful song. Foxtrot is an album I don't find any fault with although Watcher Of The Skies tends to be the slightly controversial track for some reason.

the A-side is rather flawed IMHO

Not a fan of Watcher (the intro last way too long), Friday is relatively good (but the band has yet to find its ground with those rock operas - Epping Forest will be much better), Timetable is really not good. Only Can Utility is ultra-great and I even find it superior to Supper, because it condenses everything they can do in less than 6 minutes.

I don't rate Epping Forest of course (aside from the first 2 minutes) so 'better' is entirely subjective while Timetable is something special to me. I remember listening to it after the London bombings and it seemed as poignant and relevant as any song written to me. It really is that good and terribly underrated.

However I agree that Can Utility is brilliant although not sure it outclasses Suppers Ready. I mean where is the Apocalypse section? You could have 15 minutes of drivel preceding it and it would still be better than 99% of prog epics. It's actually funny how many neo prog bands have tried to copy it and got nowhere near LOL

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 01:32
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I just dont get what's so offensively bad about More Fool Me

It completely kills the flow and aesthetic of the record. It's like a B-side Phil Collins solo track, in the middle of arguably their finest recording. It's that smidge of jelly that gets into the peanut butter and ruins the rest of the jar, despite those two ingredients being mixed in the end anyway. I'm actually amazed they, the band and producers, left that song in, when you hear how finnicky they are about details and cutting, etc.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 01:41

that is indeed a beautiful song. Foxtrot is an album I don't find any fault with although Watcher Of The Skies tends to be the slightly controversial track for some reason.

the A-side is rather flawed IMHO

Not a fan of Watcher (the intro last way too long), Friday is relatively good (but the band has yet to find its ground with those rock operas - Epping Forest will be much better), Timetable is really not good. Only Can Utility is ultra-great and I even find it superior to Supper, because it condenses everything they can do in less than 6 minutes.

I don't rate Epping Forest of course (aside from the first 2 minutes) so 'better' is entirely subjective while Timetable is something special to me. I remember listening to it after the London bombings and it seemed as poignant and relevant as any song written to me. It really is that good and terribly underrated.

However I agree that Can Utility is brilliant although not sure it outclasses Suppers Ready. I mean where is the Apocalypse section? You could have 15 minutes of drivel preceding it and it would still be better than 99% of prog epics. It's actually funny how many neo prog bands have tried to copy it and got nowhere near LOL

Hey Richard,

Reread my sentence observing the brackets. I was comparing Epping to Friday, nit to Timetable. Wink

- I don't hate TT, it just doesn't do anything for me, like Harlequin or Absent Friends. All three are inoffensive.
- Harold is a bit annoying, though, but nothing like MFM, which seems to be some fireside ballad aimed at seducing a woman and wouldn't even succeeed as it's really not good. Can't believe Tony & Peter let that one go through and ruin an otherwise excellent,cohesive and coherent album.
- Totally agree with 9/8 (though I would rate 12/10)Big smile. They never got better. However I must say that the eggs are a bit of a omelette afterwards. As such, it's OK, but sounds a bit annoying after such a peak - as if anything could survive the Apocalypse.

Edited by Sean Trane - April 24 2020 at 01:42
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 09:39
Hi,

Some of the "historical" and "information" on the song is cool ... I enjoyed that part ... but the likes and dislikes? No wonder progressive music can't get ahead! 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
pancho253 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pancho253 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 11:14
This is stupid, it's one of the best genesis tracks.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 11:18
Originally posted by pancho253 pancho253 wrote:

This is stupid, it's one of the best genesis tracks.

so this is your first post? Must be so proud...
There are better ways to disagree with things posted here.

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 11:57
Well, the Genesis pot is stirred again. The porridge of grumpiness is partaken by the strange youngsters of the prog world...who listen without the context...but Fear not....Trump insists that injecting yourself with bleach will prevent you from dying from covid19...coz you will be dead within minutes of the injection but your death will not be in the covid stats....thankful for her fine fare discount...Tess cooperates...
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 12:14
I quite enjoy the song.  It's actually my second favorite on the album, behind Firth of Fifth.  And ahead of both Moonlit Knight and Cinema Show.  I actually like every song on the album, including More Fool Me (although that's kind of down on the list behind the epics and mid-length songs).  And in spite of the wordiness of the song, I actually know all the lyrics and can "sing" along with it. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 13:48
^ Singing along is always fun......
.....and Harold demure, who’s still not quite sure, fires acorns from out of hithling 🤪

Edited by Tom Ozric - April 24 2020 at 13:48
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 16:05
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

.....and Harold demure, who’s still not quite sure, fires acorns from out of hithling 🤪

here come the cavalry

and this is when I do my little Tony Banks air keys, with all his noodly arpeggios and scales Big smile
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2020 at 17:40
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

here come the cavalry

and this is when I do my little Tony Banks air keys, with all his noodly arpeggios and scales Big smile
Handing out bread and jam just like any picnic........listen to Phil’s tricky drumming around this part. Thinking about it, this track is awesome really.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 00:39
Firing acorns from out of his sling...Gabriel putting on a camp voice...to be fair to Genesis...being posh boarding school boys wouñd have given them less gritty insight that the punk bands bred on the streets with violence a common theme....but lyrically BoEF is as good as it gets fir me anyway...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 00:42

here come the cavalry

Handing out bread and jam just like any picnic........listen to Phil’s tricky drumming around this part. Thinking about it, this track is awesome really.

Hackett has some great parts in it too, especially right at the end.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 00:46

here come the cavalry

INSERT MAGICAL, PBS-ESQUE SYNTH LEAD HERE.

I absolutely love that part, lol.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>