Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Iron Maiden debut or Kill 'em All?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Iron Maiden debut or Kill 'em All?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [66.67%]
6 [33.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2020 at 20:42
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

A minor digression here - Charlie Benante, Dave Lombardo, Nicko McBrain all run rings around Lars. His finest hour was .....And Justice......... But you all knew that.

Sure but Hetfield is a better rhythm guitarist than the ones of most of the thrash metal bands of his time.  Except Mustaine.  Only Megadeth were able to assemble lineups that beat Metallica almost all ends up (with the exception of bass, of course).  The other bands were always imbalanced.  Slayer, Anthrax, Dark Angel were all about the drums.  Sepultura got closer to putting together a good package but again, on bass, it was very hard to match Burton. 
Oooh, Burton was an animal, but I find him somewhat undermixed on the records, Ellefson is still amazing, Harris has his clank and gallop but still a mighty fine player (To Tame a Land being one fantastic example) and Bello can shine occasionally. Araya was great on Hell Awaits, showed potential but got lost in the mix eventually (more focus on vocals I suppose - assuming it is Araya - I did read some comment stating Kerry played the bass in the studio but I’m not sure if someone was trolling there ?) Drumming - Benante is my favourite Thrash drummer, then Hoglan, Lombardo, dear ol’ Gar was better than Lars. I could ramble for ages...

Edited by Tom Ozric - May 10 2020 at 20:47
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2020 at 09:50
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Too easy.......Iron Maiden slaughters anything Metallica has done. Speed metal is a very boring style of playing, and Lars has to be one of the worst drummers to ever make a record.
Hetfield can also be a big doosh.

RTL - MOP - ...AJFA is a truly magnificent set of 3 albums and for me they better any of IM's output.  IM probably more consistent overall.

Never understood why people think LU is a poor drummer either....but I'm no technician and just enjoy the music (or not)...

Seen them both live once.

But I'd go for the IM debut hereSmile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123