Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recent discovery of classic prog albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 17:27
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

There must be some younger folks in here getting into prog for the first time and discovering classics or do most younger folks listen to Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson first? Tongue

It was Rush first for me! I only got my first Steven Wilson album last summer, and I still don't own any PT, though I've heard a little bit and it seems good.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 19:17
I guess for me it would be Jethro Tull 1973 - 1977. For some reason I never gave them much of a listen too after TAAB. I just played the early albums to death. As I've been replacing the LP's I gave up when I got into the CD racket back in the 80's, I've had the opportunity to get Passion, Minstrel, Too Old, Songs and have been discovering a whole new dimension to them.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 19:38
Got into prog around 2 years ago when I was 17. It was Kansas, Styx and Genesis that really got me into it
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 19:47
I would say early Pink Floyd is absent from my collection, just ordered Saucerful of Secrets. I figured I might as well try to get into it. I have digital versions of the early ones but for me unless I have it on vinyl....its not part of my collection.

I think for most of us there are many artists we have not discovered or gotten into, I could probably list 20 artists.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 21:38
I didn't get into Dream Theater until early this year. I had planned on listening at some point a few years ago, and kept putting it off. It wasn't till I was going to play the entirety of Metropolis Pt. 2 for a backyard concert (my music partner's idea) that I listened to them. It was going to be one of our last hurrahs in college this last Spring, but COVID led to the cancellation of all those ideas (curses). Just graduated.

I also even more recently listened to Peter Gabriel's first four albums. Good stuff.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 02:59
I still haven't bought any Genesis album, but I have (and like) Hackett, Rutherford, Brand X, Anthony Phillips and Peter Gabriel. 
I must have something wrong because the Gabriel's album I like the most is Ovo.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 03:14
I had done some PFM test listening earlier but thought they're not for me. Banco, Le Orme, Area hit me right from the beginning (I've got to say that even my "beginning" with RPI was only 2014 or so) but not PFM. I only got their major albums in 2019 and they are much better than my first impression was.

Edited by Lewian - June 16 2020 at 03:15
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 04:19
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I still haven't bought any Genesis album, but I have (and like) Hackett, Rutherford, Brand X, Anthony Phillips and Peter Gabriel. 
I must have something wrong because the Gabriel's album I like the most is Ovo.
There's nothing wrong with you, Luca. Ovo didn't thrill me right off the bat but now I think it's wonderful. So different for Gabriel.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 05:25
There's one Genesis-related album I'd *REALLY* like to buy and that's Steve Hackett's 5-star album, "Guitar Noir" (1993). His latest album "At the Edge of Light" (2019) is one of his best too. Thumbs Up
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 06:12
^I had Guitar Noir a long time ago. I remember it being good but I didn't know it was a five star album. To be honest I think maybe more like three stars.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 06:36
For me there are plenty that I know well from back when I first became a zombie prog pod person (1978) and plenty I could still discover. As of late I have been focused on the newer arrivals and chronologically working my way through my collection (the year is no 2010).
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 07:16
Hi,

Considering how tough so many things were at the time in 1972 and beyond, other than the albums that already had splashed the newer FM radio dial in full stereo and showing how great music could sound ... something that was not there before in radio as the AM band was cheesy sounding, not to mention the quality of the music that supposedly sold ... so yummy yummy sold millions? ... I'll take that dis-belief to my grave in the sky, thank you!

But one thing that was obvious then, was that the list for "imports" at Moby Disk, or the late Twoer Records in the Strip, or even the Warehouse in Westwood, was that all of these "imports" were not released domestically, and our buying started concentrating on the things that we could not get in America, or better said, were not released here.

As such, I would like to think that the number of "progressive" and "newer" material that we heard was far above the average and involved a lot of folks listed here, from those days, way before they were added to any database. Thus, we heard TD, KS, and a lot of the German and experimental scene in England (specially the HARVEST label stuff from the listing in the Hipgnosis Breakfast Cereal "ingredients" from an inner sleeve, of a Kevin Ayers album I believe ... not sure of that, but it was either that or Roy Harper.

In essence, between the early days of Guy Guden/Space Pirate Radio, we did not miss a whole lot, and a review of the listings I have of many of his shows between March 1974 (show started in January 1974) until the end of 1978 (over 300 hours!), when I had to go to the University ... show an incredible number of bands that no radio show EVER, before or after, has even come close to, and unlike many of the shows around the Internet, Guy has a touch for music and always seems to find some amazing things, and play them, and he genuinely enjoys and appreciates a lot of this music, which is to say a hell of a lot more than most "DJ's" around the Internet that think they represent "progressive" music.

There are many things I have heard that I didn't get, as the money was limited (imports were expensive!!), and it was nice to see them listed and considered ... but I do not have them in my collection, and even though I have heard them since, I still have not added them.

All in all, I would say that having been one of the few folks (along with Guy) that was not afraid to play the NEW MATERIAL and show it to an audience, really means that we missed very few opportunities since then ... but yes, there is always one or two bands missing, and in my case, believe it or not, it is almost always some American band ... !!! But when it came to a lot of European materials, we probably had for a while the best collection of music in the West Coast. And it really was more "thorough" than today's "collecto'files" whose tastes tend to be oriented to their favorite style, Rio, this or that. We had them all!

Edited by moshkito - June 16 2020 at 08:03
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 07:31
I was very late in coming to terms with non-English vocals. So all that great Italian stuff (with the exception of the Manticore PFM releases) passed me by in the 70s. Same thing with Ange. The French vocals were a deal-killer. But now I can't get enough!!!
The Prog Corner
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 07:44
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

OK, I know I'll probably get some light hearted abuse for this one. Some may even want to revoke my prog membership,  but I just recently purchased ......Wait for it ....FOXTROT! I know everyone has had this album for 40 years <snip>

Not everyone. I have come to appreciate pre-Abacab Genesis only within the last 5-6 years. Before that it didn't click with me. Now I love it

Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Anyway my question yo you is what well know prog albums ( if any) have you discovered recently?

Triumvirat - Illusions of a Double Dimple
Tull - Songs From The Wood, Heavy Horses, Minstrel in the Gallery, (next up A Passion Play)
ELP - First album, Tarkus, Trilogy
Porcupine Tree - Up The Downstair, The Sky Moves Sideways, Signify, Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape, Voyage 34: The Complete Trip 

We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 07:46
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

It doesn't matter how you find it; it's all timeless! Foxtrot is exemplary progressive rock. It finds you when you're ready.

TAAB finally "hit me" last year, as well.

That sums up my experience with 70s Genesis. One day it found me and clicked. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 08:03
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

It doesn't matter how you find it; it's all timeless! Foxtrot is exemplary progressive rock. It finds you when you're ready.

And your life will be much better as a result!!!
The Prog Corner
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 08:08
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

By this time (1972 - see thread above), I was already in Nektar, Ange, Banco, Renaissance, Roy Harper, Kevin Ayers, Amon Duul 2, Can, Kraftwerk, Neu, Guru Guru, Kraan, TD, KS and so many other bands that the this album did not exactly shake my booties ... and it wasn't until SEBTP that I got into Genesis some more, but i kinda dropped it after TLLDOB, and instead took up one of the great composers I have ever known, in ANTHONY PHILLIPS ... his music was far more intuitive and creative than Genesis ever became, which was just another pop band for my tastes. A good band, mind you, but no longer my tastes!

Edited by moshkito - June 16 2020 at 08:09
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 08:29
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

^I had Guitar Noir a long time ago. I remember it being good but I didn't know it was a five star album. To be honest I think maybe more like three stars.

Well, it was a 5-star album to me anyway, but then again, I've been accused of overrating albums before.  Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 16 2020 at 08:30
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 08:29
My most recent was Khan's Space Shanty. I think if I had had more money when I was younger, I would've heard most of the classics by now. Sometimes groups or albums "fall through the crack" as you focus on newer stuff. Fortunately, all it takes is an interesting post or review to rediscover these albums you wanted to get, but for whatever reason, got lost.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 08:34
I used to have Emerson, Lake & Palmer's first album on CD many years ago, but I gave it away for free. I wouldn't have done that though if I'd known I was going to be a member of a Prog_Rock website in several years time. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>