Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Covid-19 Invitational Tourn.-Bring the Thunder #1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Covid-19 Invitational Tourn.-Bring the Thunder #1

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Leather and chains for the win?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [50.00%]
1 [7.14%]
4 [28.57%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [14.29%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Covid-19 Invitational Tourn.-Bring the Thunder #1
    Posted: July 24 2020 at 08:44
I turned 50 last month so I may be too old to bang my head anymore, but hopefully still too young to die. My apologies to my metal adverse friends, but coming from a metal background I would be remiss to not include a metal bracket.  Other than the mid to late 80's when I was coming of age, I don't know that there has really ever been a popular market for metal but to my ears I think that these five songs could find some mainstream success in my fantasy alternative hypothetical world.  I think you will find that most of these bands are fairly well known here in PA but maybe there will be something new and exciting that you will find amongst them.

Happy listening!

If you missed the first two polls, here are the links:

Edited by rushfan4 - July 24 2020 at 08:45
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 10:52
Cool. I am a few years older and enjoyed my share of metal back through the 80s and 90s and even now to a lesser extent. I have listened to and own recordings from all but Kamelot. I saw Haken in March and was supposed to see Between the Buried and Me in May but Covid... I am of the stand in the back with earplugs and watch the band play now.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 11:07
Saw Haken last year with Leprous, Leprous was excellent, Haken was a disappoint to me. Riverside was also a bit underwhelming when I saw them last year....but it was their last show and I chalk it up to being tired. Plus Seattle is not a big prog metal scene, we did not give them a good send off, it was a small venue. 

I will always be up front and center, ear plugs for sure.....I have never stood at the back.

I really like Vale of Tears, that albums was a nice return to harder times for Riverside.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 11:54
Riverside: “Vale of Tears”  I love Riverside and also Mariusz Duda’s other side projects, the latest thing he’s been doing (kind of singer/songwriter style) and Lunatic Soul.  Just a fantastic singer and writer, charismatic performer.  Great song, full of dynamics.

Between the Buried and Me: “Glide” Interesting circus-y start, very whimsical song.  Makes me think of steampunk a bit, with the nod to the past in the feeling of it.

Haken: “The Good Doctor” This is what I expected with the poll title.  They are definitely excellent at this style.  Good break with the punctuating horn sounds. 

Kamelot: “Ravenlight”  Again, going heavy right out of box.  Great heavy vocalist.  I love it when people can sing and not scream. 

Devin Townsend: “Spirits Will Collide” I know he’s another darling of many, but just don’t care for him.  Cool video, though.

My vote is going with Between Buried and Me, as I hadn’t heard that before, otherwise the metal end of prog just isn’t very much a fave of mine, outside of Riverside or unusual acts like Hu.

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 13:06
Nice selection. I voted Riverside. Not their best album, but still a good one.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 15:52
Familiar with all of these. Interesting choice for BtB&M since it is not their signature sound and is missing the Death Growls. Love Riverside but this is not one of my faves. Kamelot is solid. Never been a fan of Devin. My vote goes to Haken. Great band.

Here is some thunder off the beaten path.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - July 24 2020 at 15:55
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 16:21
First of all, happy belated birthdayBeer! Someone you know is celebrating his 51st birthday tomorrowWink.

I listened to all the song, and cannot say any of them set my world on fire. However, the Haken one definitely stood out for me, and so got my vote.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 16:24
I thought that the BTBAM song was kind of a unique song from them...it is definitely outside the box for them but I like it.  I'm not really a fan of the growling vocals, so most of my choices in the metal category won't include them.  

I liked that Immaculate Rhapsody song.  I had not heard it before.  Thanks for sharing.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 16:34
Haken out of these
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 17:07
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

First of all, happy belated birthdayBeer! Someone you know is celebrating his 51st birthday tomorrowWink.

I listened to all the song, and cannot say any of them set my world on fire. However, the Haken one definitely stood out for me, and so got my vote.
Sounds like you need to throw a Covid-19 birthday party for him tomorrow.  Lots of beers and on-line Zoom sounds like a recipe for a good time.  LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 17:22
beer???  oh no my friend..  Raff makes something special.. so good she has to partake. and so potent a glass or two leaves her swinging from the chandelier (no pool table here). Nor online Zoom LOL 

then there is the spread she makes... ummm umm..oh yeah.. man can not live on booze alone. 

oh yeah...listened to these earlier..   easy vote for Devin. He is the man..Thumbs Up
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 18:03
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I liked that Immaculate Rhapsody song.  I had not heard it before.  Thanks for sharing.
Thanks. If I overstep, by adding stuff, tell me.

Already bought Talisma and I'm sure your polls will introduce me to more must have's.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - July 24 2020 at 18:05
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2020 at 22:41
I like the band riverside. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2020 at 21:49
Voted Riverside.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2020 at 10:49
I didn't know BTBAM and Kamelot but wasn't impressed by them.
I went with Riverside. Considering their sales in Poland I'd say they achieved mainstream success in their country.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 13:19
You know that you are trapped in your house and can't make it to the gym.  It is time for you to do your cardio...crank these up....bang your heads and get your heart racing...then vote for the song that you can most imagine hearing on the radio.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 15:07
Riverside.
 Post Reply Post Reply