Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Echolyn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 16:45
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Have not seen a appreciation topic on Echolyn. Great American prog band. Any fans out there? The End is Beautiful and Mei are my favorites. However, all other releases are great and the DVD Stars and Gardens is incredible. 

Makes sense that your love for the latest Bubblemath LP has brought you back to Echolyn!

End and Mei were my intros to the band but they did little for me, so I had trouble digging deeper. But now I've gotten to know Suffocating the Bloom and find myself in absolute awe and love with that album! Very sophisticated, intricate compositions pulled off so smoothly and beautifully! Might even get me to try some others (again)--though this one's gonna stay on the top playlist for some time.

Well said, I also love Suffocating the Bloom and much less the other two listed by you (Mei still good though).
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2022 at 07:24
A great American prog band band that's criminally overlooked on here. Like others, I prefer their earlier albums.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2022 at 07:46
I agree with all the comments here. They are a great band. The first time I heard Suffocating the Bloom, my chin hit the floor - literally. I was painting the stairs at the time and slipped on a step. But I played the album straight away again. It's so lively and full of great melodies and charm. Maybe one day early albums will be released on vinyl.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2022 at 15:49
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

A great American prog band band that's criminally overlooked on here. Like others, I prefer their earlier albums.

I agree
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2022 at 15:50
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

I agree with all the comments here. They are a great band. The first time I heard Suffocating the Bloom, my chin hit the floor - literally. I was painting the stairs at the time and slipped on a step. But I played the album straight away again. It's so lively and full of great melodies and charm. Maybe one day early albums will be released on vinyl.

It’s an incredible album imho

Music Is Live

<
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2022 at 17:40
They had a very good comeback album with cowboy poems free but I agree that the stuff from their first interation was the best. Mei was also good but had to grow on me. The stuff after mei I don't like as much. 

By the way, they happen to be working on a new album that might be out before the end of the year. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 14 2022 at 11:34
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2022 at 03:09
I like their earlier stuff also - a bit 'too' neo-proggish perhaps - but prefer their later albums
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2022 at 05:22
I enjoy all their albums but gravitate towards the newer material. Their lyrics have improved significantly with age.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2022 at 01:23
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

They had a very comeback album with cowboy poems free but I agree that the stuff from their first interation was the best. Mei was also good but had to grow on me. The stuff after mei I don't like as much. 

By the way, they happen to be working on a new album that might be out before the end of the year. 

I love the Meialbum

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2022 at 01:24
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

I enjoy all their albums but gravitate towards the newer material. Their lyrics have improved significantly with age.

I love all the albums

Music Is Live

<
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2022 at 14:00
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

They had a very comeback album with cowboy poems free but I agree that the stuff from their first interation was the best. Mei was also good but had to grow on me. The stuff after mei I don't like as much. 

I love the Meialbum

Mei is an album that had to grow on me over time. It still isn't one of my personal favorites but I think I like it more than anything that came after it. It's also a very good album for long trips. 
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2022 at 15:03
My favorites are Suffocating the Bloom, Cowboys Poems Free, The End Is Beautiful, and the newer self-titled "window" album. The most recent didn't really stick with me.
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Formentera Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2022 at 21:01
I like all their albums, but I like their earlier ones more than their newer ones. My favourites are the debut album of 1991, Suffocating the Bloom and the two live releases Progfest 94 and the Jersey Tomato. The latter also contains a live version of Mei, which I like more than the studio album. With this version Mei as a single track became one of my favourites. The album When the Sweet Turns Sour is also notable, especially the Genesis cover Where the Sour Turns to Sweet, which I like more than the original Smile.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 04:55

Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

I love the Meialbum

Mei is an album that had to grow on me over time. It still isn't one of my personal favorites but I think I like it more than anything that came after it. It's also a very good album for long trips. 

It’s a incredible long trip of amazing sonic sounds

Music Is Live

<
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 07:35
I'm surprised that a prog label like Inside Out hasn't picked up the Echolyn discography and reissued their albums at a more manageable price. This is music that should be heard and has a niche following, like most prog on reissue labels.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 07:44
I'm playing their debut right now. It's not as good as Suffocating the Bloom, but the roots are there.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2022 at 01:10
Totally agree

Music Is Live

<
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2022 at 07:39
Mei for me!!! But all their records are good to great.
The Prog Corner
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2022 at 11:32
I have As The World....and heard several others but they just don't connect with me....perhaps more listening is needed.

Confused
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2022 at 15:50
2012 and 2015 albums are nice, don't like the early stuff (1991-1995), haven't listened to the mid period (1996-2005)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>