Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Was Pete Sinfield essential for King Crimson?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GUD77 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GUD77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2024 at 11:42
He was definitely an amazing poet and had some really memorable lyrics. I dont remember all the songs he wrote at the top of my head but the work he put into KC and ELP combined is just sublime. Probably something like a 5th Beatle type situation and he should be remember for it
Big Sky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2024 at 11:05
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by Moyan Moyan wrote:

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

For me, lyrics are the least important part of an album, that is, unless they are so corny, schmaltzy, or predictable that they ruin it.

Pete was involved in four KC albums - don't feel his input was essential.
Pete Sinfield was the one who first introduced King Crimson to surreal concepts. The band successfully dealt with fantastical, emotional, and occasionally storyline elements as a result of Sinflied's thoughts. No Sinfield, no early King Crimson's uncanny masterpiece(s). And that was the first stage of the rocket that launched them into orbit.

Never heard of him. But your assumption is invalid. Nobody knows how KC would have developed without him, it's completely possible that they would have found their way towards "surreal concepts" anyway.

Agreed. I have known of Pete Sinfield for about as long as I have been listening to Prog Rock (45+ years). The only essential to King Crimson is Robert Fripp. That has been seen through the various iterations of King Crimson through the years. The constant has been Fripp.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2024 at 10:35
Ensemble album pure and simple. Take out any of them and it falls apart.
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2024 at 07:53
I don't know if this should answer the question, but I just can't imagine ITCOTCK without that "The rusted chains of the prison moons are shattered by the Sun" kick start. After close your eyes in this world, you open them in Crimson world. If that's not essential, what is essential then?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2024 at 00:05
Closer To Believing is my favourite GL song off that side of Works Volume One. I love the romantic imagery and use of choir. C'est La Vie was one the one that got trotted out most possibly so Emerson could play the Honher Accordian but ELP did play CTB on the massive Works tour when they still had the orchestra (eventually dropped for financial reasons). 
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 15:14
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

I'm a lyrics girl.  One of my top ten, all-time lyrics songs is Sinfield/Lake/ELP's "Hallowed Be Thy Name" off of Works Vol. I. 

1. The way Sinfield employs the Lord's prayer is genius and ironic.   
2. The song sounds like the most ominous, darkest Disney, evil cartoon musical number ever.  That's not bad...it's good. Very visual. It's as if the Devil (the madman) is making a deal with the son and tempting him. The devil/madman takes the son to different locations, tempting the son with his kingdom.
3. The inclusion of optimist and pessimist characters energizes the song and adds a tad of comedy. I see the optimist/pessimist as the devil's right and left-hand henchmen, bumbling over each other to please their master.
4. The 11 consecutive rhymes at the end of the song put a huge exclamation point on "My favorite all-time ELP song".  Am I the only one who adores this song like a family heirloom treasure? 

5.. The use of words within words is unrivaled. It's varied too. Sometimes literal and other times Sinfield uses homophones. Wink

There may be an om in moment
But there's very few folk in focus

or 

I give you the state of statesmen
Still I don't see a man in a mansion

We live in an age of cages
The tale of an ape escaping

You needn't be well to be wealthy
But you've got to be whole to be holy
One of my GL favourites for sure. I like the stutter of "Set the place, set the time, S-S-Set the Fuse"
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 15:02
I'm a lyrics girl.  One of my top ten, all-time lyrics songs is Sinfield/Lake/ELP's "Hallowed Be Thy Name" off of Works Vol. I. 

1. The way Sinfield employs the Lord's prayer is genius and ironic.   
2. The song sounds like the most ominous, darkest Disney, evil cartoon musical number ever.  That's not bad...it's good. Very visual. It's as if the Devil (the madman) is making a deal with the son and tempting him. The devil/madman takes the son to different locations, tempting the son with his kingdom.
3. The inclusion of optimist and pessimist characters energizes the song and adds a tad of comedy. I see the optimist/pessimist as the devil's right and left-hand henchmen, bumbling over each other to please their master.
4. The 11 consecutive rhymes at the end of the song put a huge exclamation point on "My favorite all-time ELP song".  Am I the only one who adores this song like a family heirloom treasure? 

5. The use of words within words is unrivaled. It's varied too.  Sometimes, literally, and other times, Sinfield uses homophones. The wordplay reminds me of Shakespeare. Remember Hamlet's aside? 
"a little more than kin, and less than kind" 

Sinfield's word-within-wordplay:

There may be an om in moment
But there's very few folk in focus

or 

I give you the state of statesmen
Still I don't see a man in a mansion

We live in an age of cages
The tale of an ape escaping

You needn't be well to be wealthy
But you've got to be whole to be holy

Edited by omphaloskepsis - March 01 2024 at 15:20
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 13:54
For all the great work he did with KC and the 'Still' lp which i am very fond of in a clunky sorta way, he is still responsible for this:

and i know everyone's got to make a living, but come on..LOLWink

Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 13:21
Originally posted by Valdez1 Valdez1 wrote:

Is Sinfield still with us BTW?  ...Peter?

Pete is still with us: he just turned 80 last December.

A quadruple-bypass survivor, he is now living in Suffolk.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 08:24
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Too bad he mostly failed communicating his style to ELP and didn't succeed with PFM's English-sung albums.

Hi,

I think it was a bad match. It was like saying that what PFM had was worthless and it had a lot to offer, and was fun to listen to, and it also had a bit of a laugh in it, which PS lacked in my book. 

I think PS mostly worked at translating things, but in the end, they did not come off very well, and in listening to the PFM folks do it, it seems like they are having issues doing it, and getting their feeling and characterizations through. 

The other well known person translating some Italian folks was Peter Hammill that did at least "Felona e Serona", if I remember correctly.

I don't know if this "fits" or not in this discussion, but going back to the Moody Blues, there appears to be an attempt at POETRY, rather than just lyrics, and I have a feeling that it may have been what got the "Art Rock" thing started, though one could think of The Nice doing classical music as the same thing. The use of Pete Sinfield, and then later others (the poetess with Renaissance), and helped later get more appreciation for the likes of Roy Harper, the true poet since then and then some! I think that by the time that the music went totally commercial (Led Zeppelin) that the whole thing was no longer important, and folks did their own thing. But some of the European material that ended up being known as "progressive" had a lot of very literary work. ANGE was not only poetic, it was also theatrical. Very much "Art Rock".

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 07:45
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

[Pete Sinfield was unquestionably the architect behind the imaginary and magical early King Crimson concept. The others got it and executed it well, but without him and his fantastical ideas, King Crimson as such would not have existed. King Crimson, which became a platform for Fripp's primarily instrumental music-based experiments after Sinfield left, never achieved anything nearly as surreal as the first four albums. So I think Sinflield's beautiful solo album is unfairly underrated.
Svettie,
You appear to confuse me with someone else.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 07:28

[Pete Sinfield was unquestionably the architect behind the imaginary and magical early King Crimson concept. The others got it and executed it well, but without him and his fantastical ideas, King Crimson as such would not have existed. King Crimson, which became a platform for Fripp's primarily instrumental music-based experiments after Sinfield left, never achieved anything nearly as surreal as the first four albums. So I think Sinflield's beautiful solo album is unfairly underrated.

Svettie, 
I agree that when Frippy and Sinfield parted, Crimson's artistic airy-fairy license went with the latter and is indeed somewhat present in Still (brilliant cast, though), but it lacks the former's crunchy musical input. 

Too bad he mostly failed communicating his style to ELP and didn't succeed with PFM's English-sung albums.

Thankfully, you don't think he would've changed Boris The Spider from proto-metal anthem into airy-fairy folk, by contributing to it.ClownEvil Smile
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 06:38
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

For me, lyrics are the least important part of an album, that is, unless they are so corny, schmaltzy, or predictable that they ruin it.

Pete Sinfield was the one who first introduced King Crimson to surreal concepts. The band successfully dealt with fantastical, emotional, and occasionally storyline elements as a result of Sinflied's thoughts. No Sinfield, no early King Crimson's uncanny masterpiece(s). And that was the first stage of the rocket that launched them into orbit.

Never heard of him. But your assumption is invalid. Nobody knows how KC would have developed without him, it's completely possible that they would have found their way towards "surreal concepts" anyway.
Pete Sinfield was unquestionably the architect behind the imaginary and magical early King Crimson concept. The others got it and executed it well, but without him and his fantastical ideas, King Crimson as such would not have existed. King Crimson, which became a platform for Fripp's primarily instrumental music-based experiments after Sinfield left, never achieved anything nearly as surreal as the first four albums. So I think Sinflield's beautiful solo album is unfairly underrated.

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 06:07

Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 06:02
Originally posted by Jacob Schoolcraft Jacob Schoolcraft wrote:

Pete Sinfield as a lyricist was essential to King Crimson. If you observe how sporadic instruments are in certain songs and how the phrasing of his lyrics are fitting to that its amazing. It's amazing to me how it all came together.

Who else was doing this sort of style? Keith Reid with Procol Harum...Graham Edge in the Moody Blues..however Sinfield could be pure fantasy and its a huge difference in style.

ISLANDS....the lyrics were poetic and clearly could have been detached from the song and released as a poem ...possibly altered slightly..not too much.

INDOOR GAMES...Bizarre...disturbing? Demented? It certainly is if you follow the lyrics. Gordon Haskell's laughter at the end was accidental after he started comprehending the words and struggling to sing them and on Cirkus after singing "Bid me join the parade " he yells in frustration. All of this occurred within him because he felt like he wasn't doing a good job where ironically the laughter and the scream were perfect for the songs. ...so they left it in 😃

Greg Lake was a complete natural. He had a glorious voice and he brought Sinfield's work to life. "EPITAPH ", ITCOTCK etc...

Boz Burrell had the perfect voice for "Formentara Lady" and "Islands". Pete Sinfield was a outstanding lyricist..and of course odd at times...whimsical...bewitching. IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING is bewitching. Court, Poseidon, Lizard and Islands would never have carried that unique originality without the lyricism of Pete Sinfield. As a lyricist he made all 4 albums magical. There is in fact something magical about the first 4 albums. ..and they can be dark. They are sophisticated albums. Sinfield's work has a distinctive characteristic to it.
Great post! In addition, I'd like to mention here that Pete Sinfield, besides penning lyrics for other well-known artists, also released his solo album "Still" in 1973. 

While "Larks' Tongues in Aspic," released in the same year, is today regarded as the ultimate progressive masterpiece, I must say that, personally, I more like the vibe on "Still," which is more akin to the timeless "Lizard," my dream King Crimson album, than the aforementioned KC's fifth studio album, which, despite the demonstrated technical skill that certainly was mind-blowing for 1973, nowadays sounds dated to me.

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 04:24
I agree with everything, but I felt like quoting this last part
Originally posted by Jacob Schoolcraft Jacob Schoolcraft wrote:

Pete Sinfield was a outstanding lyricist..and of course odd at times...whimsical...bewitching. IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING is bewitching. Court, Poseidon, Lizard and Islands would never have carried that unique originality without the lyricism of Pete Sinfield. As a lyricist he made all 4 albums magical. There is in fact something magical about the first 4 albums. ..and they can be dark. They are sophisticated albums. Sinfield's work has a distinctive characteristic to it.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 02:34
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Pete was essential to early KC, not only for lyrics but also overall direction and concepts. He provided a light show for concerts and dabbled on synths on a couple albums including Lizards and the processed drum solo on Earthbound. He was definitely part of the band.

This!! and the only member that stayed through 5 albums

Apart from bringing the visual parts of Crimson (the artworks, the vocal imagery and lights on stage) he also toyed with sonics both in studio and on stage (VCS3 from the sidelines) 

methinks that what irritated Frippy most was that Sinfield collected as much royalties "just for the lyrics" as he did for Lizard & Island.
That's why he sacked Pete, and he angered Boz, Ian & Mel in doing so. 

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Well he did lyrics on the first 4 yet ...Larks Tongues, Starless , and Red are exceptional lps ...so the band obviously did not need his lyrics later so no he was not essential though he certainly set the tone for the atmosphere on early lps.

I certainly enjoyed much more Sinfield's texts than RPJ's or Ade Belew's.
Sinfield wasn't far from beat poetry as was Procol's Keith Reid or Pete Brown (Cream, JB, Battered Ornament & Piblokto). Actually, I believe the latter was openly recognized as a beat poet. 

Edited by Sean Trane - March 01 2024 at 02:46
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 23:58
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Well he did lyrics on the first 4 yet ...Larks Tongues, Starless , and REd are exceptional lps ...so the band obviously did not need his lyrics later so no he was not essential thoiugh he certainly set the tone for the atmosphere on early lps.

Agreed^

KC's early vocalists-" Haskell, Boswell"  didn't have the lyrical chops that John Wetton had.  Lake wrote decent lyrics, yet ELP employed Sinfield lyrical skills from Brain Salad Surgery through Love Beach.Wink  
Except Wetton didn't write the lyrics during his tenure with King Crimson, Richard Palmer James, one of Wetton's buds (and original guitarist for Supertramp), was the lyricist. And I think I appreciate Palmer-James' lyrics more than Sinfield's. "The Night Watch" is an outstanding bit of poetry.

I did not know that.  I learned something new.Wink
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 23:55

Pete was essential for early KC.   ELP should have hired somebody else to write lyrics for Love Beach.

Memoirs Of An Officer and a Gentleman, All I Want Is You and For You were decent songs imo. The album was killed by a terrible album cover and not having a decent producer which was absolutely essential for the time (1978).  In any case it would have been better if the band had rested coming off the back of a 140+ date Works tour. I wouldn't blame Sinfield for that album especially as there was a lot going on at the time.
Sinfield was first hired by ELP to help with the sci-fi concept piece Karn Evil 9. He came up with the title based on Carnival. That's all well known, Sinfield then wrote the lyrics for his classic Xmas hit although Lake always managed to take the credit for it. He also wrote the lyrics fo C'Est La Vie which was a massive hit in France for another artist and then later for Bucks Fizz Land Of Make Believe whihc I think made NO1 in the UK. Strange to think this was the same guy that had wrote the lyrics for one of the most important albums in pop and rock history. Lake and Sinfield never worked together again after Love Beach.
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 18:39
Pete Sinfield as a lyricist was essential to King Crimson. If you observe how sporadic instruments are in certain songs and how the phrasing of his lyrics are fitting to that its amazing. It's amazing to me how it all came together.

Who else was doing this sort of style? Keith Reid with Procol Harum...Graham Edge in the Moody Blues..however Sinfield could be pure fantasy and its a huge difference in style.

ISLANDS....the lyrics were poetic and clearly could have been detached from the song and released as a poem ...possibly altered slightly..not too much.

INDOOR GAMES...Bizarre...disturbing? Demented? It certainly is if you follow the lyrics. Gordon Haskell's laughter at the end was accidental after he started comprehending the words and struggling to sing them and on Cirkus after singing "Bid me join the parade " he yells in frustration. All of this occurred within him because he felt like he wasn't doing a good job where ironically the laughter and the scream were perfect for the songs. ...so they left it in 😃

Greg Lake was a complete natural. He had a glorious voice and he brought Sinfield's work to life. "EPITAPH ", ITCOTCK etc...

Boz Burrell had the perfect voice for "Formentara Lady" and "Islands". Pete Sinfield was a outstanding lyricist..and of course odd at times...whimsical...bewitching. IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING is bewitching. Court, Poseidon, Lizard and Islands would never have carried that unique originality without the lyricism of Pete Sinfield. As a lyricist he made all 4 albums magical. There is in fact something magical about the first 4 albums. ..and they can be dark. They are sophisticated albums. Sinfield's work has a distinctive characteristic to it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>