Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progressive Reggae?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Megistus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2023 at 18:57
Can't beat a bit of Dread Zeppelin, one of the oddest concepts ever... worthy of Zappa... and somehow it works!
Definitely a Vegas-era Elvis, rather than the Elvis that Plant was originally listening to in his formative years.
To be honest, they don't stand up to repeated listening, more of a comedy/novelty act to my mind. But very good nonetheless.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2023 at 19:13
I remember Dub Side of the Moon! That was a great album!

I think it's important to learn the distinctions between ska, rocksteady, reggae and dub.

Reggae really refers to Rastafarianism and African religious concepts

What we hear in songs by Rush and other bands that use those syncopatic staccatos is primarily ska and dub

Although i don't have a huge appetite for any of these styles of music, they do scratch the itch on occasion especially the more soulful styles of roots reggae a la Bob Marley, Wailing Souls, etc

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2023 at 21:19
Can Matisyahu count?

Megistus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megistus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2023 at 13:39
I certainly think so! Am still getting a YT playlist together based on this thread and my own faves... and Matisyahu is in there.. I went for the early stuff though, live at Stubbs era... The tune you've posted is not immediately apparent as a reggae/dub influenced track although the sounds come in later, around 3:00... at this point it's most easily identified as a Matisyahu tune, which is no small achievement for any artist - to have an idenitifable sound! 
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2023 at 14:07
Funnily enough I went to a record store yesterday (for like the first time in several months) and right at the entrance of the store were the vinyls for Akeda (posted above) and his best album since Youth imo, Undercurrent, for which I have been searching for a good two years now. I'm glad to finally have this one in my collection! I'd have preferred a CD (as I always do) but I'll take what I can get lol

Undercurrent is a bit more hip hop than reggae, but the dub elements are much greater here and the album was composed through jamming seasons, so I would consider it a jam band album, too. Long songs - no track is under six minutes and most are over seven, and two exceed ten minutes, with the closer exceeding thirteen minutes. I have no other way of describing it than progressive dub, honestly, but it's certainly on the more abstract side of the hip hop realm of things. Definitely recommend it:

I didn't link it earlier because I don't quite consider it a reggae album, but the elements of it are still there for sure.

A big shame he deviated from this excellent style as his new album from last year is awful, imo, and lacks any and all progressiveness he had going before. It's just a pop album.

Interesting that you included the Live at Stubbs material; Now that you mention it, I agree it is great addition. I would also add the eponymous track from Youth as well:

Edited by bardberic - February 19 2023 at 14:10
almartinez View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote almartinez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2023 at 16:17
Great question! It would help to think where there are connections between prog and reggae already, but I think more examples can be found in dub, which has a large influence over genres in and out of prog. (Think of a dub mix of any danceable song you can imagine.)

We can hear reggae influences, such as in "Saving My Heart" by Yes. There are also dub mixes, like "Rhythm of Dub" by Yes, out of many possible examples.

Consider as well collaborations with dub artists. For example, Jah Wobble's work with Holger Czukay (Rome Remains Rome) and Eno (Spinner). Listen to the Snake Charmer EP by Wobble, The Edge, and Czukay, with one track, "Hold On to Your Dreams," featuring jazz singer Marcella Allen.

Mostly, I think it's worth looking at the work of Wyclef Jean, formerly of the Fugees, who I remember on a TV awards program toasting with a backup orchestra! I would have to study him more, but that's probably a good place to begin.

Edited by almartinez - March 09 2023 at 16:51
Megistus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megistus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2023 at 18:33
Thank you! Plenty to be getting into there... my ears are ever opening!
trench62 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trench62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2023 at 15:07
Check out the falcons of haunt.....they have several releases that have a reggae influence on certain track

Edited by trench62 - March 27 2023 at 22:10
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2024 at 05:02
A pretty obscure reggae-ish tune straight off a neo-prog album.
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
SchroederKr View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SchroederKr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2024 at 08:41
Frankly, before bumping into this thread I've never heard any prog reggae
And it's awesome! Gonna dig more into this

Edited by SchroederKr - May 15 2024 at 08:42
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2024 at 18:26
Seventh Wave : Only the beginning (from Psi-fi)
"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2024 at 18:39
"Brass Roots," the album by Serbian reggae-trombonist Hornsman Coyote (real name: Nemanja Kojić), based in London, can indeed be described as progressive reggae, given its fusion of traditional reggae elements with experimental sounds and innovative production techniques that push the boundaries of the genre. The experimental nature of the music in "Brass Roots," with its inclusion of dub tracks and innovative arrangements, aligns with the characteristics of progressive reggae. The willingness to explore new sounds while staying true to reggae roots demonstrates a forward-thinking approach that is typical of progressive reggae artists. The production quality of "Brass Roots," engineered by Jah Rej at Seventh Sense Studio in the UK and mixed at Kingsway WOT Studio and Earth Works Studio, further enhances its appeal. The incorporation of trombones as a prominent feature in the album adds depth to the sound and showcases a blend of traditional reggae elements with contemporary production techniques. The collaboration between trombonist Coyote and producer Rej Forte on this album brings together a mix of horns, melodies, and harmonies that create a unique sonic experience. 

Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2024 at 23:20
Proggae
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123