Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Magic Fig (U.S.) for Psychedelic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magic Fig (U.S.) for Psychedelic
    Posted: May 15 2024 at 16:06
Magic Fig is a San Francisco-based band that was formed in 2023. The lineup includes keyboardist Jon Chaney, bassist Matthew Ferrara, drummer Taylor Giffin, guitarist Muzzy Moskowitz, and singer Inna Showalter.

Magic Fig's self-titled debut LP sounds as though it were released in the late 1960s, straight out of Canterbury's collective consciousness. The group discards their ambitions for an indie sound from their previous bands and focuses on progressive and psychedelic music, while nevertheless maintaining a pop sensibility when the Canterbury sound demands it. Singer Inna Showalter inhabits this particular Canterbury dream just as readily as she captured the heart of gazing and glazed indie pop in her former bands Whitney’s Playland and Blades of Joy.

Magic Fig’s music can be described as progressive psych rock with elements of progressive pop fantasy. Their songs often explore themes of childlike wonder, mythology, fables, and unknown realms. The band infuses their music with intricate guitar lines and captivating narratives inspired by fairytales and fables.

The group draws inspiration from a wide range of musical influences, such as Debussy, the Soft Machine, German Krautrock bands, and even Captain Beefheart’s impact on the band’s music, which can be seen in their pursuit of abstract tales and familiar spirits in their songs. 
The band members of Magic Fig collaborate closely to create their music, with each member contributing their unique talents to the collective sound. Their debut album indeed showcases the chemistry between the musicians through kaleidoscopic guitar lines, mesmerising keyboard sounds, and a dynamic rhythm section.

Seasoned with MiniMoog spacey sounds and without the omission of a bouquet of dreamy tunes and choir vocals, Magic Fig's debut, produced by Joel Robinow of Once and Future Band and released on Silver Current Records in May 2024, features alumni from some of the Bay Area's top indie-pop and garage psych bands. It's full of sonic fireworks, top-notch musicianship, hooks galore, and a unique blend of progressive rock and pop joy reminiscent of the great Canterbury scene artists of the 1960s and 1970s. "Magic Fig," the album, fairly demonstrates the band's musical talent and creative collectivism, but their psychedelic progressivism also showcases that the psychedelic scene in San Francisco is still vibrant.
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2024 at 16:10
Svet, even a cursory Google search shows this biography is plagiarised. Keishiro set the rules - you know what you have to do.
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2024 at 16:28
Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

Svet, even a cursory Google search shows this biography is plagiarised. Keishiro set the rules - you know what you have to do.
Firstly, I'm not 'Svet'. Secondly, that bio is not plagiarised. I used various sources, of course, but I wrote that bio by myself, and it cannot be described as "plagiarism" by any means. Anyway, check my text with any online plagiarism checker engine.
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 03:56
As of today, the "Magic Fig" album may be listened to in its entirety on YouTube. Including those two interesting official video clips released earlier, "Goodbye Suzy" and "PS1," which both featured in my suggestion post, and these four audio clips, that's the entire album. I mean, the entire progressive psych-rock debut of the year... 

Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valdez1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 20:09
Good stuff! This band was pointed out to me on another thread as well yesterday.
https://bakullama1.bandcamp.com/
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2024 at 22:48
So I really have better things to do than argue with a troll who lies to my face, and thus I'll keep this brief.

1. Here is a screenshot I took the day you posted Magic Fig in the suggestion forums:

Once again, AwesomeProg betrays you, or more accurately, you just don't know how to cover your tracks. Why not just be honest?

2. Quite a bit of the bio was taken from here - https://www.gratefulweb.com/articles/introducing-san-franciscos-magic-fig - with words/sentences moved around and a few weak substitutions that fail to cover up the plagiarism. Am I to be told that Magic Fig, by an act of miraculous synchronicity, inspired you to use the words "psychedelic progressivism" to describe them just like the writer at Grateful Web? Amusing. I am told this "cannot be described as 'plagiarism' by any means" and that I "lie." Where, as they say, is the lie?

Once you take care of the outstanding plagiarism issues, I'll be happy to take them to the PSIKE team.
Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Valdez1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2024 at 23:33
You could have started the bio like this:

The tree of Prog has often yielded some incredibly good fruits… Enter ye oh fruitless ones, and pick off the burgeoning, beckoning vine, and have a taste of “Magic Fig”. Sweetened on the vine, Vintage 2023, and flavored with sweet pop sensibilities galore.

Canterbury, You ask? Why yes , well, sort of…
But the Magic Fig offers so much more…. Magic Fig has a mini Moog from outer space that Captain Beefheart blessed before he passed on, and a guitar that sounds like a kaleidoscope in a psychedelic San Francisco of decades past. Suzy Q never sounded sexier until she partook of The Magic Fig…

Aaaah but wait, there’s more!

Creative plagiarism 101
P.S. (I’m just kidding) and they sound pretty good to me.

Edited by Valdez1 - May 23 2024 at 23:44
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2024 at 00:54

So I really have better things to do than argue with a troll who lies to my face, and thus I'll keep this brief.

1. Here is a screenshot I took the day you posted Magic Fig in the suggestion forums:

Once again, AwesomeProg betrays you, or more accurately, you just don't know how to cover your tracks. Why not just be honest?

LOL It's quite absurd that you assume that I'm Svetonio's clone based on the fact that he added Magic Fig to another website database, since I know that Svetonio was diligent enough to add hundreds of other prog bands and solo artists over the years to that obscure website, which once was called Progfreak.

2. Quite a bit of the bio was taken from here - https://www.gratefulweb.com/articles/introducing-san-franciscos-magic-fig - with words/sentences moved around and a few weak substitutions that fail to cover up the plagiarism. Am I to be told that Magic Fig, by an act of miraculous synchronicity, inspired you to use the words "psychedelic progressivism" to describe them just like the writer at Grateful Web? Amusing. I am told this "cannot be described as 'plagiarism' by any means" and that I "lie." Where, as they say, is the lie?
I don't dispute that, as I have previously stated, when it comes to completing an exhaustive bio for a suggestion, I used various sources, as it can be otherwise seen because I used the photo that already appeared on a website; however, the text I submitted following the prescribed rules regarding suggesting new bands can be considered original, as I really didn't plagiarise any other people's texts featuring groundbreakingly innovative and never-heard-before phrases.

Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2024 at 01:33
Originally posted by Valdez1 Valdez1 wrote:

You could have started the bio like this:

The tree of Prog has often yielded some incredibly good fruits… Enter ye oh fruitless ones, and pick off the burgeoning, beckoning vine, and have a taste of “Magic Fig”. Sweetened on the vine, Vintage 2023, and flavored with sweet pop sensibilities galore.

Canterbury, You ask? Why yes , well, sort of…
But the Magic Fig offers so much more…. Magic Fig has a mini Moog from outer space that Captain Beefheart blessed before he passed on, and a guitar that sounds like a kaleidoscope in a psychedelic San Francisco of decades past. Suzy Q never sounded sexier until she partook of The Magic Fig…
Oh, that's indeed great! I like it! Write an alternative bio for this suggested band, please, because the bio I wrote in favour of my suggestion has been rejected as "plagiarism" by a character who falsely accused me that I'm a plagiarist, just because he is apparently obsessed with a persona that they banned a decade ago, and he fantasises now that I'm a clone of that person with the pseudonim "Svetonio."
Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valdez1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2024 at 07:52
Moyan, I’m sorry I was just having a little fun after reading the bio info for Magic Fig. I found it entertaining. Sorry I cannot write bios because I don’t have the longstanding clearance here. I would just let the mods handle it, I believe entries and edits are handled by them only.
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2024 at 08:41
Originally posted by Valdez1 Valdez1 wrote:

Moyan, I’m sorry I was just having a little fun after reading the bio info for Magic Fig. 
It is funny, in fact, to read the biography of a band that has only been together for a year.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2024 at 09:36
Never heard of them Svettie. I do remember a band called Figleaf though but I'm not sure if they are on here.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2024 at 10:52
Oh, this is all becoming very, very indecent, either way: If Moyan is Svetonio it is indecent from his part to register again, but I guess admins would have noticed this a long time ago and banned him long before. It it is not the case then there is a bunch of prejudiced people making assumptions based on what?

So, I'm reporting this thread in the hope that admins will settle this once and for all because this is already lingering on much too long.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2024 at 11:48
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Oh, this is all becoming very, very indecent, either way: If Moyan is Svetonio it is indecent from his part to register again, but I guess admins would have noticed this a long time ago and banned him long before. It it is not the case then there is a bunch of prejudiced people making assumptions based on what?

So, I'm reporting this thread in the hope that admins will settle this once and for all because this is already lingering on much too long.
That would be a good idea. Thank you.
 Post Reply Post Reply