Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Great albums of 2024

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 16:48
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

However I have one proper recommendation (not listed on PA though), which is Banshee by Norwegian saxophonist Signe Emmeluth.

I love this kind of stuff, which defies the parameters of what "music" really is, and in many examples, this is really far out "classical music", even though I would say that a lot of this is improvised, and a concert would not exactly have known materials, but just new experiences for the moment in time. 

In fact I got to know her seeing her live with that Banshee band. They mixed impro and composed material, and I recognised more of the gig on the album than I'd have expected. Happy that you like it.

Hi,

You already know that anything that borders on the experimental, and with no conventional much of anything, is right up my listening scale. The thing that bothers me the most, is how much of the numbered stuff is metronomic material that has very small amounts of subtleties and the kind of lively and improvised materials that a lot of these folks can bring us.

My take on many of these things is almost always ... hearing something that you can not "categorize" or "define", which always creates new experiences and images for me, and this is the main reason why so much rock music that is being added to PA and to some of the numbers simply is not attractive to me ... I like to say I want new sounds, not the same old sounds ... but getting past those "numbers" is really a large waste of time for me since I do not listen to music for recognizable moments and formats.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 20:20
1album cover
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
2album cover
AP BC SPO RYM
3album cover
Mary Halvorson
4album cover
GoGo Penguin
6album cover
AP BC SPO RYM
Antistatic
7album cover
8album cover
AP BC SPO
Luz De Riada
9album cover
AP BC SPO RYM
10album cover
Snakes Don't Belong In Alaska
11album cover
Smith, Ches
12album cover
AP BC SPO RYM
Craven Faults
13album cover
AP SPO
Rob Mazurek & Exploding Star Orchestra
14album cover
The Smile
15album cover
16album cover
AP BC SPO RYM
Panzerpappa
17album cover
Yussef Dayes
18album cover
Rhùn
19album cover
Slift
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2024 at 00:23

Had been getting disappointed when listening to "new things" for this year, only to find more pedestrian mishmash stuff all over ... and it was getting me disappointed. Many of those listings are getting more and more ... frustrating ... and the great stuff is more difficult to find when you have to go through the stuff that is just like all the others and is considered good by the sound ... not the music!

I can see why you (or others) might have a problem with the lists I post - it's so many releases, and they are all very different in style. From my list, you could for example check out Schubmodul and Adult Jazz:

34album cover
Links: AP BC SPO

31album cover
Exp Prog Rock/Independent
Links: AP BC SPO RYM

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2024 at 00:31

You already know that anything that borders on the experimental, and with no conventional much of anything, is right up my listening scale. The thing that bothers me the most, is how much of the numbered stuff is metronomic material that has very small amounts of subtleties and the kind of lively and improvised materials that a lot of these folks can bring us.

This rejection of conventions is very common among many prog music fans ... personally I think that it is often exaggerated. If you reject convention too much you end up with too little substance in the music. There are very few bands that manage(d) to blend wild experimentation with memorable tunes, for me Zappa and Mr. Bungle were prime examples of that. 

My tastes have changed a lot over the decades (been there done that, as they say), and currently I enjoy a wide bandwidth of music. I love innovation and experimentation, but I also love musical ability and virtuosity and above all, good music (songwriting). 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2024 at 06:56
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

If you reject convention too much you end up with too little substance in the music. There are very few bands that manage(d) to blend wild experimentation with memorable tunes, for me Zappa and Mr. Bungle were prime examples of that. 

My tastes have changed a lot over the decades (been there done that, as they say), and currently I enjoy a wide bandwidth of music. I love innovation and experimentation, but I also love musical ability and virtuosity and above all, good music (songwriting). 

HI,

After 50 years plus of listening, I have always rejected convention and it was also quite visible in the plays/works I directed on stage 40 years ago ... the best thing I did only had a large set of squares making a sort of steps with a king's throne on top ... and the rest of the set was done with lights ... just don't give me "Waiting for Godot" because I will turn it into a psychedelic nightmare for you ... just for you!

For me music is not "tunes" ... PERIOD ... and you already know that. There is more music that will not fit what is defined as a "tune", and that is the area that I prefer to live in. The "tune" thing is way too commercial for me, and this was one of the most important sides/parts of the early days progressive music heroes we have ... they wanted to get away from the commercial styles, and the new FM radio in America really helped.

But, sadly, we can't get away from the commercial sound we are totally surrounded with day and night ... and it makes it harder to find/listen to new things, specially when the quick touch is not "familiar" to your ears, and you end up with someone posting here about Magma ... which is one of the saddest things about listening to any kind of music ... the more spheres you break, the better you can appreciate and learn about new things.

In the past year, PA has gotten better at folks listening and posting a lot of new stuff, and showcasing it with various articles as is seen in this thread ... I have fought for that for many years ... again, it's never about the "tune" ... it's about the music! And you have to define music beyond a tune and the commercial sound regardless of when.

Edited by moshkito - May 21 2024 at 06:59
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2024 at 07:03
Originally posted by moyan moyan wrote:

Theo May ...

Hi,

Theo May is nice, and might give us this generations Jean Luc Ponty. I kinda like this mix better than Jean Luc's that has a tendency to think that it is more classical than it is jazzy or otherwise. At least with Theo May you don't get that, although I did, for some reason, think of some of the Irish/Welsh folks that played folk music for their work. But I'm not sure that is a good comparison at all ... but it has that "folk" feel that Jean Luc does not have.

Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

2023 was my favorite prog-year of the 2000s.  I hope 2024s crop is vintage...as well. 

Aquilus- Bellum II  (Black Metal with occasional buried-in-the-mix death growls, plus classical music interludes...very atmospherical.  Aquilus should be included on Prog Archives)Wink

That was actually really enjoyable, and for once it didn't exactly feel like the growls and the rest of the music was there just for show and tell kind of thing. This whole thing looks like it was really well defined and put together, and like you suggested it is indeed very classical in moments, but the combination of it all, makes for a more "modern" classical style than otherwise ... kinda violent and explosive, I suppose.

Good listen ... I, generally, can't stand the growls as they are just another gimmick and quite often gratuitous, and sometimes, very badly used as the "lyrics" ... but it is what it is ... sometimes used well, and other times just used for the heck of it.

Originally posted by Moyan Moyan wrote:

"Eli: A Wonderful Fall From Grace" is the 11th studio album by the Australian progressive metal band Teramaze.

Couldn't help thinking that this was a much better, and more interesting Dream Theater than wwhat we have heard from them for some time. Maybe with a touch more melodic than DT's preference for thrash in the past several years. And it allowed the keyboards to do its thing ... someday DT ... someday DT ... actually enjoyed this piece a lot. Might go after some more stuff by these folks. I don't think a band goes this far and this tight, without being really well defined and done, and not just about one player.

Edited by moshkito - May 21 2024 at 07:04
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2024 at 07:08
^^ Music is all about tunes. Melodies. Music is played with notes. In prog (and classical music) you can also think of them as motifs:

If you think that there are no "tunes" in proper prog, you are sadly mistaken. They exist in all styles of music, from Classical through Jazz all the way to Rock, Pop or even Death Metal.

Now, of course if you take a really simple tune (motif) and then "implement" it using simple (4) chord progressions arranged in predictable verses, bridge and choruses, using typical instruments and straight-forward (slightly) auto-tuned vocals ... then it's hardly prog anymore. But even the most hard-core avant-garde/experimental prog tracks we all revere are based on more or less simple tunes/motifs.

Disagree? Well, by all means enjoy the crap out of "tuneless" recordings LOL 

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - May 21 2024 at 07:09
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2024 at 07:25

But, sadly, we can't get away from the commercial sound we are totally surrounded with day and night ... and it makes it harder to find/listen to new things, specially when the quick touch is not "familiar" to your ears, and you end up with someone posting here about Magma ... which is one of the saddest things about listening to any kind of music ... the more spheres you break, the better you can appreciate and learn about new things.

So far only the OP has mentioned Magma. What's your problem with that? Have you listened to Banshee?

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - May 21 2024 at 07:25
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2024 at 11:40
Thus far the albums that have really caught my attention are all very different:

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum-Of the Last Human Being
Big Big Train-The Likes of Us
Chick Corea and Béla Fleck-Remembrance
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2024 at 16:53

So far only the OP has mentioned Magma. What's your problem with that? Have you listened to Banshee?

Hi,

In another posting, yes.

For me, anything in classical music, is not about tunes. But I do not think that you have had the experience of classical music like I did in my formative teens, before I even heard or got into rock music, and then electronic.

To me, you might consider Mozart smaller concertos a bunch of tunes, but I hardly would consider his operas a tune in any form, although he always had a bit or two that might be thought of as a tune. I don't see tunes in Beethoven. I don't see tunes in Stravinsky. 

There's a lot more music that is not a tune, but I'm not convinced, or sure that knowing "tunes" is what music is about ... a college education alone in music, will break that up quickly! And for a long time, until the commercial side made "tunes" more important financially, tunes, were considered the lowest level of class in music, and not looked at seriously. We can't help looking at it as serious music NOW because its sales destroy those of all else in music in all categories. But I'm not sure that is a good reason to "define" music at all. The rise of "jazz" in America is also a perfect example ... not a tune, until you got to the easy listening jazz folks in the later 60's ... that were very much about a pop song more than anything else.

Edited by moshkito - May 21 2024 at 17:01
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2024 at 18:36
I would say these are 'great' in my estimation.
1album cover
2album cover
Slift
3album cover
AP BC BC SPO RYM
Big Big Train
4album cover
5album cover
Turbulence
6album cover
7album cover
Agusa
Noir Soundtrack
8album cover
AP BC BC SPO RYM
9album cover
10album cover
11album cover
AP BC SPO RYM
The Aristocrats
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 00:34

For me, anything in classical music, is not about tunes. But I do not think that you have had the experience of classical music like I did in my formative teens, before I even heard or got into rock music, and then electronic.

That's quite an arrogant assumption. But it's your typical mode of operation, so moving on.

To me, you might consider Mozart smaller concertos a bunch of tunes, but I hardly would consider his operas a tune in any form, although he always had a bit or two that might be thought of as a tune. I don't see tunes in Beethoven. I don't see tunes in Stravinsky. 

There's no motifs in Beethoven's compositions, is that what you're saying? Ermm

There's a lot more music that is not a tune, but I'm not convinced, or sure that knowing "tunes" is what music is about ... a college education alone in music, will break that up quickly! And for a long time, until the commercial side made "tunes" more important financially, tunes, were considered the lowest level of class in music, and not looked at seriously. We can't help looking at it as serious music NOW because its sales destroy those of all else in music in all categories. But I'm not sure that is a good reason to "define" music at all. The rise of "jazz" in America is also a perfect example ... not a tune, until you got to the easy listening jazz folks in the later 60's ... that were very much about a pop song more than anything else.

Tunes, Motifs, Melodies ... call it what you will. They are the nucleus of musical compositions. The fallacy which you are employing here is to assume that I'm saying that music is ONLY "tunes". I never did, and of course there is much more to music, which is why we are all here. And yes, even most Jazz is built upon motifs. Well, there's extreme outliers in all the genres - in Jazz there's Free Jazz, there's the entire genre of Noise, and in some extremely Avant-Garde/Post styles "tunes" are largely absent. But those are fringe occurrences, the 0.1% even within the realm of progressive music which is already only like 1% of all the music. 

Take this "music" that I listened to yesterday out of curiosity:
https://vectas.bandcamp.com/album/washing-machine-music

Gave it a low rating because it lacks musical structure and I did not enjoy listening to it. It also says on the page that it was "made for fun", so I'm probably not insulting anyone by putting it in the E tier. LOL

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - May 22 2024 at 00:53
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 04:07
Psychedelic rock with hints of fancy English progressive pop from the late 1960s sets out the sound of Magic Fig, the band that was founded in 2023 and is based in San Francisco. The group's search for abstract stories and recognisable spirits in their songs is evidence of their vast spectrum of musical inspirations, which includes both Debussy and the early Soft Machine. Magic Fig's undoubtedly great self-titled debut album actually has the vibe of the early Canterbury scene, as the band uses Canterburian whimsicallness, complex guitar riffs, spacey keyboards, and engrossing storylines drawn from fables and fairy tales to enhance their sound, and the band's singer Inna Showalter perfectly nails that unique Canterbury fantasy on this highly recommended LP.  

Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 06:41
Another great debut album is "The Ram" by the UK band Armoury Way. It is a quintet at the moment, although Tony Imbierski, a gifted keyboardist, guitarist, and composer from New Forest, Hampshire, started Armoury Way as a solo project in 2020. He was raised in the 1970s, listening to bands like Genesis, Camel, Yes, and King Crimson. At the age of sixteen, he started a band with his closest friends, but the idea to record a full-length album didn't occur to him until 2018. He formed a band with some talented musicians in return for this gesture. It took six years to create this debut CD, which is strongly recommended for fans of symphonic prog. The album's sound is characterised by its intricate instrumental arrangements, complex song structures, and thought-provoking lyrics, brought together with quintessential English vocals by the singer Ashley Stone.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 07:50

Magic Fig
Hi,

Enjoyed listening to that, though I somehow think this is more like a song in the mid 60's on the radio with its idea of "psychedelic" ... which, sadly enough, if you take the video out with the costumes, you probably would not think of this as psychedelic, though it is very nice indeed. 

Armoury Way

(comments on this long piece are ... not quite clear in my head .. here goes...)

Nice piece, although I am not sure I think of this as progressive, and the subject matter is probably difficult to look at, or imagine, other than a piece that took on the human desire to always go above and beyond what we can/could/would do ... It does have some nice parts, though, and is worth the listen, as this kind of work has the touch that makes music so endearing to our hearts. It has nothing to do with what style it is in, but the story and trip itself is a very nice thing to follow and enjoy. 
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 07:53

That's quite an arrogant assumption. But it's your typical mode of operation, so moving on.

Hi,

It is NOT an arrogant assumption as your comment is. I made a possible comparison, that you have rejected and you could have said ... not quite ... but instead take a false offense. 

Edited by moshkito - May 22 2024 at 07:53
www.pedrosena.com
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 08:39
@moshkito & Mike: Maybe continue your discussion per PM if you must (or make your own thread). I think this thread is most useful if it sticks to the topic "Great albums of 2024". Albums can of course be discussed, but I think that personal discussion beyond this should be elsewhere.

Edited by Lewian - May 22 2024 at 08:40
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 08:40
^^ There is a difference between asking whether something is the case and presuming it in your argument. For example, there is a difference between asking "what is your background in classical music" and "surely you don't know much about classical music". The former is neutral, the latter is presumptuous.

But sure, focusing on this is a nice way to get around the more interesting points I raised. 

^ (Lewian) yes, of course you are correct. Returning to the subject at hand, these are two nice releases of 2024 that I've discovered today:

album cover
Resuscitate
Prog Extreme Metal/Djent
album cover
Luxury
Thoughtful Melodic Prog-Adj Alt Rock/Independent

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - May 22 2024 at 08:43
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 08:57
Released in March 2024, "What We Really Like in Stories" by the UK band The Bardic Depths showcases a rich tapestry of sound. The album features neo-prog stuff that is very warmly delivered. The music on this album has dynamic arrangements, featuring lush layers of acoustic and electric guitars, melodic basslines, intricate drum patterns, soaring vocals, and ethereal keyboards. The Bardic Depths' use of wind instruments such as the clarinet and alto saxophone adds a distinctive texture to their sound, evoking a sense of nostalgia. A wonderful melodic intricacy that corresponds with the intelligent lines makes the band's third CD great and certainly their most comprehensive release to date.

Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valdez1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 08:57

Magic Fig
Hi,

Enjoyed listening to that, though I somehow think this is more like a song in the mid 60's on the radio with its idea of "psychedelic" ... which, sadly enough, if you take the video out with the costumes, you probably would not think of this as psychedelic, though it is very nice indeed. 

Armoury Way

(comments on this long piece are ... not quite clear in my head .. here goes...)

Nice piece, although I am not sure I think of this as progressive, and the subject matter is probably difficult to look at, or imagine, other than a piece that took on the human desire to always go above and beyond what we can/could/would do ... It does have some nice parts, though, and is worth the listen, as this kind of work has the touch that makes music so endearing to our hearts. It has nothing to do with what style it is in, but the story and trip itself is a very nice thing to follow and enjoy. 

Hardly psychedelic, definitely Prog. (Armoury Way ) Took me a good minute to get into it but it won me over. Great vocals. Very old school sound.

Edited by Valdez1 - May 22 2024 at 09:33
https://bakullama1.bandcamp.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>