Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is Rush's worst album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2024 at 15:24
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

^I don't have any problem with Rush being the lowest rated. I never listen to it. (For that matter, I never listen to FbN, either.)

However, T4E is better than Roll the Bones. Here's why. (I'm going to cheat and post a live performance. )

I dont listen  to either early lp either and Echo might be better than Bones to some.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2024 at 15:33
Test For Echo is very uneven but lower rated than Roll The Bones?? I think some people need to step away from the crack pipe.

Oh, and Driven live rocks! Normally I prefer studio versions of songs but this is a clear exception.
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2024 at 16:27
I'll stick with my crack pipe then because I probably prefer RTB over T4E. T4E has grown on me a bit over time though which is something I can't really say about VT which I still struggle with. My vote for worst Rush album probably goes to VT.
EloyRuanova View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EloyRuanova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 15:05
Clockwork Angels because it was the last Rush album they recorded and that makes me sad.
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 17:59
For me, definitely Presto. That was when Rush were getting back into more guitar-driven (and of course, less synth-driven) music, and to me they sounded pretty rusty on that one. (Possible) hot take, but I think Roll the Bones is a vastly superior version of what they attempted on Presto -- despite a pretty weak production job. With the exception of maybe 2 or 3 songs (I LOVE Available Light), the tracklist of Presto just doesn't stick out to me much 
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 19:50
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

For me, definitely Presto. That was when Rush were getting back into more guitar-driven (and of course, less synth-driven) music, and to me they sounded pretty rusty on that one. (Possible) hot take, but I think Roll the Bones is a vastly superior version of what they attempted on Presto -- despite a pretty weak production job. With the exception of maybe 2 or 3 songs (I LOVE Available Light), the tracklist of Presto just doesn't stick out to me much 

I disagree with regard to "vastly." RTB is a bit more consistent than Presto, but:

1 – The best song on Presto ("Show Don't Tell") is better than any song on RTB by a country mile. In lieu of spinning their wheels, they etched a line between new and familiar with that song, "Chain Lightning," "Scars" and "Available Light."

2 – RTB's last song is one of the worst they ever recorded, while others like "The Big Wheel" and "Neurotica" are serviceable if underwhelming (and, yes, the production feels plasticky).

(IMVHO, of course.)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 19:58
Not listened to Presto in full in many years, but my favourite was "Superconductor".
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2024 at 05:23
Have we become so bored with Rush so that we're now discussing their worst albums? LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2024 at 05:52

I disagree with regard to "vastly." RTB is a bit more consistent than Presto, but:

1 – The best song on Presto ("Show Don't Tell") is better than any song on RTB by a country mile. In lieu of spinning their wheels, they etched a line between new and familiar with that song, "Chain Lightning," "Scars" and "Available Light."

2 – RTB's last song is one of the worst they ever recorded, while others like "The Big Wheel" and "Neurotica" are serviceable if underwhelming (and, yes, the production feels plasticky).

(IMVHO, of course.)

I agree that You Bet Your Life is pretty bad but not as bad as Out of the Cradle on Vapor Trails. It's the only Rush song that I've never been able to get even to the point of rating it as tolerable.

I don't agree that Show Don't Tell is better than Dreamline. Dreamline is a killer tune. the rest of RTB, not so much. There is just so much "meh" about RTB. 

Edited by Jeffro - May 21 2024 at 05:53

My face IS a maserati
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2024 at 05:54
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Have we become so bored with Rush so that we're now discussing their worst albums? LOL

That and 1586th poll about this or that. 
I understand this place was a lot more vibrant in the years before I joined. 

My face IS a maserati
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2024 at 07:36
I'm pretty sure I heard them all at least once, even the ones I hated (late 80's) and loather (early 90's).

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Anything after Hemispheres felt like Rush for people that don't like Rush. 

corrected Wink

I'd say that as well, but there are still some valid stuff on PW and MP. 
Signals bores the hell out of me, but it's still ok-sounding

Where the trouble really starts is with GUP and PW, but it (the music, not the sonics) does get steadily worse with every new album until TFE.

Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

My least favorite is Vapor Trails. I found the Test for Echo to Clockwork Angels era a difficult listen. Sort of like driving through a car wash with the windows down.

Actually the spewing of water through the opened windows and into your rear is better than TFE and VP sonic values, Both are catastrophic, but the music is rich.

Other than that, the last two are OK (but no more), but I prefer S&A to CA, so I'd say that S&A is their best since Moving Pictures, but there is miles between them.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2024 at 10:14
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

(IMVHO, of course.)

I agree that You Bet Your Life is pretty bad but not as bad as Out of the Cradle on Vapor Trails. It's the only Rush song that I've never been able to get even to the point of rating it as tolerable.

I don't agree that Show Don't Tell is better than Dreamline. Dreamline is a killer tune. the rest of RTB, not so much. There is just so much "meh" about RTB. 

I know most people think "Dreamline" is better, mainly because it's uptempo. I like it, I just don't think it's as well-crafted. I like the overall feel of "Show Don't Tell," not to mention its nifty bass solo and great chorus.

And, just to illustrate how we hear everything differently, I think there are no bad songs on Vapor Trails. It's my favorite album after Power Windows.

The next one where I feel there are a few songs that don't do much if anything for me is Snakes & Arrows. "Far Cry" is cool, and the instrumentals are fantastic. But "Faithless" is pure filler. "The Larger Bowl" and "Bravest Face" are okay, but if we remove the aforementioned, I'd probably never return to it.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2024 at 12:13
They are interesting albums for sure, from the stand point of their style change. I've always been a pretty good fan of Presto, other than the production/mastering is quite thin. Very little to no deep end from Neil's kick drum, even though mastered by Bob Ludwig I think it suffers from that late 80s digital recording and spars code of DDD, too sterile.
I saw that tour in 1990 in Maryland, the big blow up bunnies ala Pink Floyd was kinda goofy for Rush. 

And yes, quite boring around here......Unhappy
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2024 at 18:24
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I'm pretty sure I heard them all at least once, even the ones I hated (late 80's) and loather (early 90's).

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Anything after Hemispheres felt like Rush for people that don't like Rush. 

corrected Wink

I'd say that as well, but there are still some valid stuff on PW and MP. 
Signals bores the hell out of me, but it's still ok-sounding

Where the trouble really starts is with GUP and PW, but it (the music, not the sonics) does get steadily worse with every new album until TFE.

My comment was more about the stylistic change. The Rush that became so massive and kicked some life back into the prog scene when it was under attack (by punk) is represented on 2112, FTK and Hemispheres. After that they wanted to be 'cool' like that other very popular 3 piece The Police. Somehow they managed the transition perfectly and PW and MV are quite rightly recognised as classics and I rate Signals nearly as highly.
I listened to GUP recently and expected to dislike most of it but actually I like it a lot. The lyrical themes are worryingly topical as well. Power Windows has one of Rush's greatest tracks (Manhattan Project) but is steely cold sounding and a bit too samey throughout so does get a bit boring. After that they went through a 'wimpy' phase before getting their act together. I still reckon that Different Stages is their best live album. Most of their best material resides on that album and its 'straight from boards' sound is perfect to my ears.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2024 at 18:33
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2024 at 10:29
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

They are interesting albums for sure, from the stand point of their style change. I've always been a pretty good fan of Presto, other than the production/mastering is quite thin. Very little to no deep end from Neil's kick drum, even though mastered by Bob Ludwig I think it suffers from that late 80s digital recording and spars code of DDD, too sterile.
I saw that tour in 1990 in Maryland, the big blow up bunnies ala Pink Floyd was kinda goofy for Rush. 

The Audio Fidelity SACD from Steve Hoffman and Stephan Marsh is absolutely sublime. You’re right though. Original Redbook CD release is a touch thin. It is dynamic but not as punchy as it could’ve been. Marsh and Hoffman fix that Tenfold. It is amazing. Sadly those discs from from them go for 100’s of dollars now.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2024 at 11:10
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

The Audio Fidelity SACD from Steve Hoffman and Stephan Marsh is absolutely sublime. You’re right though. Original Redbook CD release is a touch thin. It is dynamic but not as punchy as it could’ve been. Marsh and Hoffman fix that Tenfold. It is amazing. Sadly those discs from from them go for 100’s of dollars now.

My favorite three album "block" from anything post Moving Pictures is Power Windows through Presto. I only got into Rush around 1980 and my first new Rush album (as in the first album I bought upon release) was Signals, which was a pretty big change from Moving Pictures. 

My face IS a maserati
Spacekitchen View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacekitchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2024 at 15:51
Oh it's gotta be Feedback. Literally none of the songs sound like Rush songs, I don't know what they were thinking with that one(function(){if (!document.body) return;var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'88b174ab0ee1ab96',t:'MTcxNjkzMjk3OC40NzQwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< height="1" width="1" style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium; visibility: ;">
Like old school sounding Prog Rock? Check us out at https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/spacekitchen/space-kitchen
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2024 at 16:12
Originally posted by Spacekitchen Spacekitchen wrote:

Oh it's gotta be Feedback. Literally none of the songs sound like Rush songs, I don't know what they were thinking with that one

It's a covers album. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2024 at 16:16
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Spacekitchen Spacekitchen wrote:

Oh it's gotta be Feedback. Literally none of the songs sound like Rush songs, I don't know what they were thinking with that one

It's a covers album. 

Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>