Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unvers Zero Neglected Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristian_Cole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unvers Zero Neglected Prog
    Posted: April 20 2020 at 10:17
Avant as this:

to the beauty of this:

hugely underrated
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 10:24
10 lp's on PA...6 are over 4 stars...the rest well over 3...not underrated..maybe neglected by some people.
I have Uzed and Heatwave....not an easy listen at times but then RIO can be challenging.
I have to be 'in the mood'  but at those times they are fascinating.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Kristian_Cole View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristian_Cole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 10:49
you would be surprised, people know yes, people know van der graaf, I hear very little about this or hatfield.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 11:02
Not underrated by me, I love Unvers Zero, and Clivages was my album of that year and was the Collab Album of the Year in 2010. I have all of UZ's album and find it to me one the very most consistently good bands that had a long career. I think it's highly rated and respected by most that really know them and are into such kinds of music. It's not going to be for every taste. I turned someone onto UZed who wasn't really into the RIO thing and whose tastes were melodic rock oriented than mine. That said, of three RIO related ones, Univers Zero, Present, and Art Zoyd, Art Zoyd is my favourite (well, I have called that my favourite band in PA). There have have been considerable fans of UZ at the forum, and it is one of the most respected RIO-related bands in PA. It did well in our Battle of the Bands as I recall. Underknown perhaps, but rated highly by many. It's not going to have as much wide appeal as many others, as the music is generally not going to be accessible to many tastes.

Geekfreak recently revived this poll of mine: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=120389 which compares IQ to UZ, and UZ has the most votes currently, despite the rather esoteric nature of UZ. Rock in Opposition, unsurprisingly, is not going to be really mainstream even in prog circles, but Univers Zero is one of the most respected chamber prog acts, I believe.

EDIT: By the way, I'm a fan of Hatfield and the North as well but I can see why it wouldn't have the mainstream Prog support from the Canterbury Scene that Caravan has.

Edited by Logan - April 20 2020 at 11:17
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 11:10
Originally posted by Kristian_Cole Kristian_Cole wrote:

you would be surprised, people know yes, people know van der graaf, I hear very little about this or hatfield.

Many here like Hatfield and the North.....I'm a big fan.
A lot of Canterbury fans here at PA.

Hatfield and the North - Wikipedia
Wink

Edited by dr wu23 - April 20 2020 at 11:11
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 11:53
I think you'll find plenty of people on here with an avant leaning (we've had some claim we're taking over the place). Amongst those UZ are very highly regarded. In fact Ceux De Dehors is my all-time favorite album. I ran a RIO/Avant World Cup two years ago and UZ won the whole thing edging out Henry Cow in the final. As stated in a previous post Clivages was the collaborators album of the year in 2010. 

So while they may not be a huge number of threads they are certainly respected. Feel free to start more threads and I'm sure you'll see the panheads come out of the woodwork.

ps Love Hatfield too.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 12:03
There used to be more "panheads" (those into the more so-called avant garde styles of music) at the forum. While I never thought such people (of which I am one) dominated the forum as much as has been claimed, and I don't see why we would have driven people away from the site (one or two perhaps), definitely there used to be more discussion of such music, and various of our prominent and vociferous "panheads" no longer post here. It was something of a game to bring up Magma all the time here once, and some of us would use Kobaian phrases and terms to boot. There are still quite a number of people into the rather more arcane and out-there avenues of music at PA.
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 12:18
Huge fan of UZ here. They changed my outlook on music and I wouldn't be without their albums.  

Though we panheads are few in number we make up for it with our dedication to the total elimination of all devotees of listenable music.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 12:45
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

There used to be more "panheads" (those into the more so-called avant garde styles of music) at the forum. While I never thought such people (of which I am one) dominated the forum as much as has been claimed, and I don't see why we would have driven people away from the site (one or two perhaps), .

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Though we panheads are few in number we make up for it with our dedication to the total elimination of all devotees of listenable music.

The fact these post are directly after one another and about 15 minutes apart is fantastic.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - April 20 2020 at 12:46
Ian

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 16:24
The panheads on the move again!

And no surprise, with uplifting music like this... Big smile

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 18:43
What exactly is a panhead? I never heard that term before with regards to prog or music in general. 
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 18:54
I listened to their album in the top 100 and enjoyed it a lot!
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 19:12
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

What exactly is a panhead? I never heard that term before with regards to prog or music in general. 

It's a combination of a couple of PA memes. The "tossing cutlery down a stairwell" was a Dean interpretation of RIO/Avant.

"The Panheads have taken over PA" was a Barney rant because not enough people were gushing over The Tangent.

We took it and ran with it.
Ian

dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 19:23
^ Ok thats hilarious
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 20:01
Rather oddly it's the Eclectic team who all have panhead references in their posts.
Ian

Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 01:34
UZ are brilliant!  I remember reading about them around the time of the inaugural RIO festival in 78 but as a teenager on a limited budget, I never got to explore their early albums (I don't recall seeing any in UK record shops either...)  Those first three albums in particular (plus the 'Crawling Wind' EP) are unique.  My only regret is not getting to see them in a live setting - Michel Berckmans being the only member I have seen perform as part of the extended Henry Cow line-up for the Lindsay Cooper tribute concerts.  Daniel Denis is one of the best drummers in prog.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 01:55
not under-rated by me either, but in the general "prog" consensus, yes they certainly are (IMHO), as are a lot of RIO groups (if not the whole movement in general).

But then again, this is due to the bands' accessibility (for the wider public) of their music.
Outside my musical buddies, most everyone I know would WTF if I played them anything from UZ, Present & Art Zoyd. 
Kristian_Cole View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristian_Cole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 02:31
Guess i am a panhead then............ TongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongue
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 05:05
Originally posted by Kristian_Cole Kristian_Cole wrote:

Guess i am a panhead then............ TongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongue

Welcome aboard
Ian

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2020 at 08:34
amazon.it sells Clivages for 1840 Euro, amazon.de for 1709 (OK they have used copies for about 70 Euros but still). amazon.co.uk and France don't have any. No major download site seems to have it. It's just 10 years old that album. Are they joking?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>